Quantcast

Asada Tacos

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
We also grilled us some carne asada tonight with salsa verde. No homemade tortillas here though, just cheapo store bought corn tortillas and cilantro, onion, salsa.

Resized_20220528_190818.jpeg

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I ordered asada tacos in a restaurant in Wyoming once and they brought them to me with all that stuff. I took it back to the counter and said "where's the cilantro and onion?"

The whole staff, wait and kitchen, stopped in their tracks and looked at me. One person leaned in and asked me "are you Mexican?"

I LOL'd and said I am from Yakima. Everyone nodded and went back to work.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
The people working in the restaurant were Mexican. They definitely catered to Wyoming gringos who want all that stuff on their tacos. I agree the american beef taco is tasty to eat. If someone prepares the fixins I'll eat em.

Sometimes I put sour cream on my carne asada tacos and I still put the onions and cilantro and salsa on. Those are tasty to eat. Damn tasty in fact. Maybe I'm going to eat those tomorrow.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
To be fair, cilantro is TexMex and not an original ingredient for Mexican dishes historically, as far as I've researched. That said, it's an integral part/ingredient IMO. I had a roommate that couldn't stand it though. I told her I had no idea how to make salsa if I couldn't put cilantro in it. That's literally the base of it.

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
This. It's not great when eaten by itself, but it's essential in context, and in the right proportions, IMO.
My mother-in-law had never tried cilantro (I assume she'd had it on tacos, but never knew what it was.) She bought a bunch of it and used the whole thing in a salad, thinking it was just like salad greens. She was not a fan. :rofl:

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Flank and skirt steak? What did you marinade with?
Flap steak, actually. Flank and skirt steak are surprisingly hard to find around here. I'd have to consult my wife for the exact measurements/volumes, but the marinade consisted of:

Lemon Juice, orange juice, worcestershire sauce, a little soy Sauce, minced garlic, minced cilantro, vegetable oil, and pepper.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Great, now I'm hungry for asada tacos. Oh wait, no I'm not...

(The middle one is asada... and it was delicious. I'll be ordering two of those next time. The only problem is, do I order just one of the carnitas or al pastor?)

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
had 4 of these tonight

breaded shrimp tacos
Cajun spices in the breading, cooked in coconut oil on home made corn tortillas with shredded cabbage, Dubliner cheese, red onion diced habanero pepper, cilantro, Chipotle salsa drizzled with some lemon juice
20220908_173458.jpg

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Flap steak, actually. Flank and skirt steak are surprisingly hard to find around here. I'd have to consult my wife for the exact measurements/volumes, but the marinade consisted of:

Lemon Juice, orange juice, worcestershire sauce, a little soy Sauce, minced garlic, minced cilantro, vegetable oil, and pepper.
when i make asada i juice an orange, lemon, & lime. a bit of olive oil and soy. if i'm doing it proper will dice some hot peppers (usually jalapenos, i have those on hand most often) and some minced garlic. sometimes if i'm lazy i just chili powder.

i have been told asada sous vide is excellent. i plan on trying it sometime.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
when i make asada i juice an orange, lemon, & lime. a bit of olive oil and soy. if i'm doing it proper will dice some hot peppers (usually jalapenos, i have those on hand most often) and some minced garlic. sometimes if i'm lazy i just chili powder.

i have been told asada sous vide is excellent. i plan on trying it sometime.
We're constantly fiddling with the ingredients and measurements in an effort to produce the most authentic (as compared to what we grew up eating) asada we can. We grew up in a small farming community, which in the Central Valley of CA means that we were surrounded by good mexican food. The bar is high, and our asada - while good, is not quite up to snuff, IMO.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
To be fair, cilantro is TexMex and not an original ingredient for Mexican dishes historically, as far as I've researched. That said, it's an integral part/ingredient IMO. I had a roommate that couldn't stand it though. I told her I had no idea how to make salsa if I couldn't put cilantro in it. That's literally the base of it.
It came to Latin America via Europe, but so did a ton of other things now considered essential for Mexican food.

(I mean, the Italians didn't have the tomato till it came back from the new world...same thing...)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Also, I'm not sure I'm as down with the whole birria taco trend as some others...when it's too rich for me, it takes some effort.

I mean...so tasty, but I get pretty gurgly after the first bite...

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
The birria queso tacos are tasty tasty! I had a plate last weekend. Its best with goat meat but everyone around here makes it with beef. I like to eat 3 but more than that gets a little greasy.