Quantcast

asheville aug. 12-13

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
a few of us are gonna be up that way for the SORBA directors meeting.

There is an XC ride planned :help:

Anyone else going / going be around that weekend?
hoping to check out green lick and other gravity friendly areas of bent creek.

-j

DVNT said:
a few of us are gonna be up that way for the SORBA directors meeting.

There is an XC ride planned :help:

Anyone else going / going be around that weekend?
hoping to check out green lick and other gravity friendly areas of bent creek.

-j
Green's lick is a must ride. After that though you might as well get out of Bent Creek as all of the trails are baby smooth and groomed now. Not that it isn't any fun, because it is (example green's lick itself) but the other trails get boring kinda quick. Maybe head down the road a bit to Mills Creek area for some more technical riding:agree:

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
jonnynails said:
Green's lick is a must ride. After that though you might as well get out of Bent Creek as all of the trails are baby smooth and groomed now. Not that it isn't any fun, because it is (example green's lick itself) but the other trails get boring kinda quick.
Eh... I disagree, Greens Lick is the highlight, but if that is the only trail you take you are missing out. Here is the route we took the last time we were there...

pretty standard route said:
Take (gated gravel road)Ledford Branch Rd. nice climb, the road flattens and about a mile you'll have a trail to the sharp left (easy to pass by) Ingles Field Gap starts out as a steep climb but grades out into a great trail (stay right at all junctions) and steep again at the top to 5 points.

Next from 5 Points take north Boundary Rd it is the trail Next to Little Hickory Top! Climb for about 2mi then you get to Greens Lick!

Down Greens Lick.

Hang a Left up Sidehill trail
starts out wet rocky and steep and grades out when it hits Little Hickory Top (stay left at All junctions) continue back to 5 Points.

Then bomb down Ingles Field Gap ( stay left at all Junct) when you get to the road sharp right and then hit first trail to left Wolf Laurel or creek. You will come down some stairs then hit the trail on right continue down to gravel road, then right then hit second trail on right. used to be called Warm Up no idea what it is now....they just recut new section of trail to Paved road, cross road to trail, or bail to the right.
Bombing down Ingles Field Gap is almost as fun as Greens Lick, then finishing up with Wolf Laurel has 2 nice log rides, a rock kicker and finally a fun stepped descent.

Ride them all

jonnynails said:
Maybe head down the road a bit to Mills Creek area for some more technical riding:agree:
However N Mills is still more "Technical." Laurel, Spencer, Trace, you cannot go wrong!

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
When was the last time you rode Bent Creek? That place has been totally changed. It no longer has any terrain diversity. Single track that used to be a narrow winding ribbon though the forrest is now 10 feet wide in places and baby butt smooth. Bent Creek is now a featureless sidewalk in the woods. It looks like it's only a step away from being paved.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
AngryMetalsmith said:
When was the last time you rode Bent Creek? That place has been totally changed. It no longer has any terrain diversity. Single track that used to be a narrow winding ribbon though the forrest is now 10 feet wide in places and baby butt smooth. Bent Creek is now a featureless sidewalk in the woods. It looks like it's only a step away from being paved.
I was there 3 weeks ago. There were never any "features" in Bent Creek, now there are a few. Yes the trails have been machine cut, but they are a TON of fun. Go really fast, catch some air, ride big berms. What is not to like? If you want tight, narrow single track, drive another 15 minutes to N Mills.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
really looking for some long old school style singletrack descents, with minimal climbing. :D

was thinking of hitting Green Lick to see whats up with all the hype, plus it sounds like a few of you on here drag your dh machines up it.

DVNT said:
really looking for some long old school style singletrack descents, with minimal climbing. :D

was thinking of hitting Green Lick to see whats up with all the hype, plus it sounds like a few of you on here drag your dh machines up it.
A 5-6 inch travel bike is the ticket in Bent Creek imo. You have got about 45 minutes to an hour of climbing to get to greens lick and riding a DH sled up is really no fun plus you don't need it for the descent.

Make sure and buy a Pisgah Ranger District map at one of the bike shops in Asheville or Brevard and most important....have fun:thumb:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
What are you talking about, grinding up North Boundary on a DH sled is great fun. Who needs a cross country bike when you've got 45 pound of pain. Front derailleurs are over rated any way.

AngryMetalsmith said:
What are you talking about, grinding up North Boundary on a DH sled is great fun. Who needs a cross country bike when you've got 45 pound of pain. Front derailleurs are over rated any way.
I think that I rather have this :nuts: then ride my DH bike up those hills again. Always good to hear you pissing and moaning :mumble: by the time you get to the top though:rolleyes:

AMS - Are you sure you don't want to ride today???

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
jonnynails said:
A 5-6 inch travel bike is the ticket in Bent Creek imo. You have got about 45 minutes to an hour of climbing to get to greens lick and riding a DH sled up is really no fun plus you don't need it for the descent.

Make sure and buy a Pisgah Ranger District map at one of the bike shops in Asheville or Brevard and most important....have fun:thumb:
Thanks for the heads up. I'll bring the enduro.
Probably hit Bent Creek on Saturday after the meeting then maybe mills or laurel creek or possibly head up to sugar on sunday.
If anyone's up for riding, shoot me a pm.

what's in Swananoa? DJs or trails?

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Is there such a magical place where you only climb a short distance and descend never ending single-track, Cuz I wanna know?

There are some truly amazing and technical trails in WNC. However almost all of them involve climbing, usually a long climb up and a big push or two in the middle. Well worth it if you can deal with the uphill.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
AngryMetalsmith said:
Is there such a magical place where you only climb a short distance and descend never ending single-track, Cuz I wanna know?
hahaha that's funny.
I'm not afraid of a little pedal/push that's all we got here.
I'm just getting to be an old fart and don't get the sadistic pleasure in climbing like i once did.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
If you are going to be in the Bent Creek area, I suggest checking out Trace Ridge in North Mills. It's on the other side of the Parkway from Bent Creek. The climb up is not bad at all. I can get up most of it on my DH bike. The downhill is not really single tack, but it's fast and rocky with a couple of jumps at the bottom. Get a Pisgah Ranger District map to figure out the whole loop and other options as well. Don't bother trying to climb out of Bent Creek to get to it. The road is really torn up and loose, and you might get run over by a dump truck.