Quantcast

Asheville, NC--Move?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Due to recent events in my girlfriend's life (IE, sexually psychopathic/pervert stepbrother), instead of going to Utah State (like I am/was) for Freshman year in the fall, she wants to leave Logan (Here), and move somewhere else with me. So, I started looking for places. Asheville NC looks like a possibility...not expensive to live there, or so it seems, ton of stuff to do, really liberal, and really pretty. Plus, there's a community college we could go to (we're past deadlines on university admissions). Anyway, I know there are a few monkeys that live down there. I'd just like to know about the following areas:

-Qwahl-uh-tee of life

-Cost of living

-Stuff to do

-Riding

And just any other information. The other two places we're looking at are Salt Lake (meh...) and the San Jose area (Cupertino, her mom lives there and might be able to get me a room for cheap). But yeah...I'm hyper/stressed...someone give me information.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Its a pretty cool, chill town. Ive only been once but i liked it a lot, and it consistently makes different bike magazines top 10 places to live lists.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
blue said:
...not expensive to live there, or so it seems, ton of stuff to do, really liberal, ................
yup...def liberal. hippy capitol of the southeast. but i wouldn't really mark that as a plus :D :devil:

...but the riding def kicks arse!

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
It rules. I hear the job market is pretty slim, but as students that shouldn't be a big deal. The night life is apparently pretty weak, but I know Lots of cool shows and stuff go through there. The riding is amazing.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Okay, so it looks like the Asheville CC rapes non-residents for tuition (3 grand a sem)...

We're looking at moving and just working/taking a year off. Move to Santa Barbara, here we come...

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
Well I am obviously the best man to answer this question. I just moved to Utah from East Tennessee. Johnson City actually which is just over the hill from Asheville. Riding is awesome in both places but as you well know probably Utah sucks for everything else. MOVE! YOu will have so much more fun in Asheville. Utah sucks compared to, well just about everywhere, but iy really sucks compared to Asheville.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
gschuette said:
Well I am obviously the best man to answer this question. I just moved to Utah from East Tennessee. Johnson City actually which is just over the hill from Asheville. Riding is awesome in both places but as you well know probably Utah sucks for everything else. MOVE! YOu will have so much more fun in Asheville. Utah sucks compared to, well just about everywhere, but iy really sucks compared to Asheville.
Sadly, Dixie State (St. George) and the U of U (Salt Lake) are both in the running for places to move. Either place would be far better than Logan. I'm actually kind of liking Dixie...warm...mmm...year round riding. And it's cheap.

SB=750 a month for rent= :dead:

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
blue said:
SB=750 a month for rent= :dead:
Did you totally forget the eConvo we had a little while ago? I said ~$600 a month, not $750. Jeez. (This is assuming that you're gonna be sharing a 1 bedroom apartment with the lady friend.)

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
dexterq20 said:
Did you totally forget the eConvo we had a little while ago? I said ~$600 a month, not $750. Jeez. (This is assuming that you're gonna be sharing a 1 bedroom apartment with the lady friend.)
Okay okay...yeah...between now and then was a massive dramatic parental encounter that erased my memory of the past 4 hours.

600 would be doable. But, I have the issue of my grades in HS not being stellar (3.0/28 ACT) enough to get into UCSB even after a year. Which means I'd have to go to SBCC for a sem to transfer...which means more money...meh. Perhaps. It's being considered.

los jefes

Monkey
May 10, 2004
Asheville, NC
Hopefully this will help. Some of the best paddling, hiking, biking in the nation.
Skiing/Boarding sucks. Although there are ski resorts nearby. Year round riding, although it does get chilly in the winter (30's for the highs). Mild summers (mid 80's). Very eclectic, funky, liberal town. Quality of life is hard to beat. Cost of living is very high compared to anywhere else in the south. 1BR apt = $500 for a half ass one. Decent 2BR house $800-900. To buy; 1300sf = $140000 and it will need lots of work. Out of state students pay outrageous tuition. Get a job and a NC drivers license for a year and get in-state tuition. Job market is non-existent. Wait tables, work in retail, or work for the Biltmore Estate. If you are not a nurse or school teacher, forget it. Crappy job market, low rate of pay and higer cost of living are the only downfalls. If you can live with that, come on down. You won't regret it.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
manimal said:
yup...def liberal. hippy capitol of the southeast.
I think that is just a conspiracy. I think the city of Asheville pays Hippies to stand around coffee shops playing Hackey Sack, painting acid induced murals and smelling all hippy and stuff by combining incense with the mutant BO that all hippies seem to possess. The city does this to trick out of towners into thinking its all liberal artsy.
For every hippie in Asheville, there are 2 bubba's with fishhooks on their camo hats, rocking Yosimite Sam mud flaps on their lifted trucks.
Don't believe the lies. :nuts:

The riding rocks though. :love:

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
los jefes said:
Cost of living is very high compared to anywhere else in the south. 1BR apt = $500 for a half ass one. Decent 2BR house $800-900. To buy; 1300sf = $140000 and it will need lots of work.
Man if you think that is high, I'd like to know where else in the "South" you have been looking.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Man if you think that is high, I'd like to know where else in the "South" you have been looking.
:stupid:

In California, $500 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment is a freakin' steal, no matter how crappy the apartment may be.

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
blue said:
I'm actually kind of liking Dixie...warm...mmm...year round riding. And it's cheap.

Well if you move there I will be just up the road in Cedar. St. George is more fun than Cedar but it still sucks. :help:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
SkaredShtles said:
Dude - you better *really* not like skiing. :p

Have you considered Montana?

-S.S.-
Bikes>Skiing.

Asheville looks to be out...Santa Barbara or Cupertino are currently the front runners.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
los jefes said:
Hopefully this will help. Some of the best paddling, hiking, biking in the nation.
Skiing/Boarding sucks. Although there are ski resorts nearby. Year round riding, although it does get chilly in the winter (30's for the highs). Mild summers (mid 80's). Very eclectic, funky, liberal town. Quality of life is hard to beat. Cost of living is very high compared to anywhere else in the south. 1BR apt = $500 for a half ass one. Decent 2BR house $800-900. To buy; 1300sf = $140000 and it will need lots of work. Out of state students pay outrageous tuition. Get a job and a NC drivers license for a year and get in-state tuition. Job market is non-existent. Wait tables, work in retail, or work for the Biltmore Estate. If you are not a nurse or school teacher, forget it. Crappy job market, low rate of pay and higer cost of living are the only downfalls. If you can live with that, come on down. You won't regret it.
No jobs here. Cost of living isn't really anymore than here, either...Hmmm...Meh. SB!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
SkaredShtles said:
SB and Cupertino are going to be heinously expensive. Less so if you've got a "hookup" on a room.

-S.S.-
Cupertino is more than SB, although I might get a hookup in Cupertino. I'd rather move to SB, but if that happens, then the ladyfriend and I will be living together, which could go either way.

SB=Bikes+Surfing+Beach+Warm= :love:

As long as I get out of this hellhole, I'll probably be happy.

1 bdrm apartment in SB=650ish. In Cupertino, it's about 1000. 650 seems to be a going rate on a room. :dead: