Quantcast

Ashland 12 Mile DH?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I'm not sure they are having it again this year. I couldn't find it earlier on the OBRA schedule.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
with the snow levels, it would have to be later in the year. I haven't seen it on the OBRA schedule, could it be a US Cycling race this year?

Nov 11, 2007
norcal
If it happens make sure you get over there and race it! I raced it the last two years and I would honestly say it is probably the most fun race I have ever participated in. Decent swag, very organized start times posted. A very well done event. The more support showed, the better. I was slightly surprised last year that more racers didn't show up. To me it is every bit as good, if not better, than the famous Downieville Super D! For some reason, Downieville gets an amazing amount of press. Ashland deserves just as much! Come on Ashland!!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
This where I'd like to see more of the sports attention go: Big mtn. Perhaps only because I'm from South Dakota and the only way I can see a mtn is to point a telescope at the moon. And I wish I was exaggerating.
We do, actually, have some mtns here, just 5 hrs away. I'm working with Redbull on a similar type race, but it won't be any 12 miles! That's crazy! How long does that take?
I'd also REALLY like to see someone in the US step up and do something like the Megavalanche in the states. It might not be of the same scale, but who's gonna bitch? I'm thinking Montana would be a good place to start...

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
The 12 mile super D takes about 35 minutes if I remember correctly. It's way more buff than Downieville, but still super fun. The trails flow like Santa Cruz trails and the traction is very similar. Downieville probably gets more press because it's been happening for a lot longer.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
The 12 mile super D takes about 35 minutes if I remember correctly. It's way more buff than Downieville, but still super fun. The trails flow like Santa Cruz trails and the traction is very similar. Downieville probably gets more press because it's been happening for a lot longer.
Downieville gets more press cuz Weir loves to shiit talk.

boone

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
Weir been spending a lot of time in Ashland so who knows?
I have never done this race and very much want to! Any more info about if it's happenning?

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
35 minutes is for the top top pro guys. I think it took me less than 45 min last year.

hucked2bend

Monkey
May 24, 2005
Bend, Oregon
looking forward to this race....if it happens this year i'm in.
I spoke to some peeps who know the organizers. Seems the reason it has not been scheduled yet is because of the un-foreseen snow levels. They are waiting a bit longer to set a date. I really hope it is on again, one of the, if not the funnest races I have ever done. Like said before, it is a sub-40 minute course for most, if not all of the pros, I believe Weir did a 35 minute + last year, which he won, plus he won the year before. Local ripper Nathan Riddle has been second both years I believe. I race expert 40+ & ran a 43 minute time, with more fitness hopefully I'll knock a minute or two off that ; ) A 30lb +- 5" or 6" bike is perfect for the course. There is about 3 miles of wicked fast fireroad, a pig of a 500', middle ring climb 2 minutes into the race, the the rest is sweet, fast Oregon forest singletrack, with anough high speed sections to keep you on your toes.

Gee, can ya tell I like this race :thumb:

jake133

Monkey
Jan 21, 2005
SLC, Utah
Yeah there is still 86 inches at base of Mt. Ashland, and it will snow more too. So i would assume they are waiting to set a date like hucked2bend said. A two years ago there was snow at the start and i think almost everyone crashed at least once, i know i did. Awesome race though i raced my hardtail last year which was really fun, a little rough on Catwalk but other wise it was great. I'll ask around town for news on the race. Hope to see a bigger turn out this year!

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
Thanks Tita for the info. I'll be up there for the Spring Thaw, and then I'll come back for the 12 mile Super D too. I love Ashland and the trails there. I haven't seen my friend, the Riddler, for a while and it'll be cool to catch up with him and get some runs in.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Oooof, Dang, it's the same weekend as the Test of Endurance again. I don't know if I can make it this year!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Yes, if its clear of snow. And I'll be seeing Heidi and DH Diva at the Test of Endurance!
We'll see. My friend Sara (Blonde Velo Bella from Sunday's race) really wants to do it.......I'm still questioning how long it would take me to finish.

I've wanted to do the 12 mile for the last two years but something always seems to come up. Looks like so much fun!

m-dub

Chimp
Aug 10, 2006
How hard is it to get in (entry)? Is it a crazy quick sell out like Downieville or ???? Its only a 12 hour drive for me but cant wait. I love the format. Thanks

hucked2bend

Monkey
May 24, 2005
Bend, Oregon
How hard is it to get in (entry)? Is it a crazy quick sell out like Downieville or ???? Its only a 12 hour drive for me but cant wait. I love the format. Thanks
They won't sell out, not yet anyways, maybe in a couple years when more people know about it & tell everyone how freaking cool the race is!

You can sign up on the Saturday before, I forgot what bike shop does the signups, but it is really close to the main (Lithia?) park where everyone ends up after their runs. You can get the course pretty dialed after 2 runs, 3-4 if you are super fit like Weir & his WTB animals. The climb 2-3 minutes into the race is what kills everybody, every other part of the course is super fun, super fast singletrack with some rolling climbs here & there, with the exception on the high speed fireroad about half way through, which will max out a 36x11. The end of the fireroad drops you into the Spring Thaw DH course, which you ride all of in the Super D race. The perfect bike for this race is around 30-34lbs, 2.3 front tire & a 2.0-2.3 rear, 5-6" trailbike with a remote seatpost. I ran a Maxxis LUST Highroller front & a Maxxis LUST Crossmark rear on my old Nomad built up to 33lbs.

boone

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
Awesome, putting it on my cal right now!

Thanks dudes. I have ridden most sections of this trail before; super fun place to ride.

How well would a short travel DH rig with 7" @36-38lbs do? No AM bikie for me this year.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Awesome, putting it on my cal right now!

Thanks dudes. I have ridden most sections of this trail before; super fun place to ride.

How well would a short travel DH rig with 7" @36-38lbs do? No AM bikie for me this year.
You'll suffer a tad on the climb, and there is nothing big enough on the DH part to need that, but it'll work.

nanhar

Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Riverside, CA
IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
Race limited to 200 Racers! Register Now!
Online registration ends: June 13, 2008, 11:59pm pacific time.
No Day of Race registration. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Ashland is definitely a fun race! Great atmosphere etc... I raced there last year, and my main complaint was the age categories... 20 year brackets are a little ridiculous... 19-39... that doesn't seem fair... I bitched to the race director and she agreed that wasn't right... I'll be 39 this year, and it sucks having to race against a bunch of 19-24 year olds.... They said that it would be different this year... we'll see.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
What trail does this go down?

Is it accessible without doing the race?
I rode the course yesterday on my 05 big hit with some friends. The course goes down fireroads to the bull gap trail, which leads into the catwalk trail. There was a lot of snow still at the lodge, where the race starts. The bull gap climb sucks, but I cranked the rebound all the way to slow on my big hit and was able to pedal all the way up it, even with a single ring and a road cassette.

Ringer

Monkey
Mar 4, 2008
Dude, weed man. PM me. I'm in the bay area and will hitch a ride and chip for gas. can leave anytime as long as im back to the yay by 8 am monday for work. Is beav going to?