Quantcast

Ashland Shuttling

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
A friend of mine gave me the 411 about Ashland Mountain Adventures, up in Southern Oregon. I wanted to ride there on the way to the Handmade Bike Show cause it has all kinds of killer trails, from hardcore DH to epic all day rides.

The owner, Wild Bill, is from around the Bay Area and is known as a super rider, so I look forward to seeing his work up there.

The big thing is their season opens in April!

http://www.ashlandmountainadventures.com/

SVC

Chimp
May 1, 2003
Only 4-5 hours freeway driving from Bay Area and suppose to be cross between Downieville and N* for riding/trails and with cool city right there...

Also - website is showing pictures of this years Sea Otter DH course changes and heard a helmet cam of this years Sea Otter DH course may be up early next week.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
In my oppinion "Wild Bill" is really going to hurt our trails here in southern oregon. He is willing to run shuttle trips to "secret and illlegal" trails. I love the idea of a shuttle company here in the area but it should just go to legal trail areas.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
You know Ashland Mountain is shuttling only legal trails which are well known in the Ashland community. I was told 2 shuttle seats will always be reserved for local riders too.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
The flyer I have from a lbs mentions a certain illegal trail network outside of talent. Granted most people know what the network is and where the trails are but they still are illegal, and Id hate to have tons of bikers on them now. Which could lead to the trails getting destroyed... again.

Regarding the two local riders, the flyer states two seats will be reserved for local walk in riders.

I love having a shuttling company. I just hope he does it right and stays away from taking people to trails that have thousands of hours of work in.

SVC

Chimp
May 1, 2003
Agreed - it must be done right to be a lasting benefit to all - riders, local government, and successful business. And that means legal trails only - there are NO Ashland Mountain Adventure flyers or advertisements for illegal trails.

I know Bill has worked closely with some members of the local Ashland riding community, city and Oregon state goverment to ensure all is proper. His experience with California city and state restrictions and officials along with BLM folks in building and supporting trails and regional races has made him acutely aware of both the requirements and penalities.

Correctly done (legal and with reasonable constructive input from all) it could actually make it better. Please don't hesitate to provide that constructive input directly to AMA. I'm old enough to remember when serious MTB riding came to Mammoth, N*, Downieville, and Bootleg Canyon (Boulder City, NV) - and the riding and trails are better than ever and continue to improve. Here's hoping Ashland blows up like that!

ashmtnadv

Chimp
Mar 6, 2008
Ashland Or.
SVC has it right... Ashland Mountain Adventures will not be shuttling to any illegal trails at any location. Also, while we do have a post card out at local buisness's it makes no reference to any shuttle location or trail. I'm not sure where any flyer may have come from but not from Ashland Mountain Adventures offices.

We would welcome all locals to experience our sevice as we have reserved 2 seats on every shuttle for them at any time except for a party with 14 people.

I have already been in contact with the Forest Service and participated in a trail work day this last Saturday in which several of us removed 5 large trees from the Catwalk and Toothpick trails. I look forward to continued involvment on the local trails and getting riders to there trail destinations.

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
Bill is an extremely knowledgeable trail builder and all around nice guy. He will only bring good things to the town and trails of Ashland. I can't wait for the Spring Thaw.

ashmtnadv

Chimp
Mar 6, 2008
Ashland Or.
The Spring Thaw is shaping up nicely! We removed 5 large fallen trees from the cource 2 weeks ago and the trail is now clear to ride. It's going to be limited to 200 racers for the DH so get in early. The promoter is a realy cool person, Amy Warner, and is definitly got her race well organized. See you there!