Quantcast

Ask your off season training questions here

NOOP

Chimp
Apr 26, 2007
I would expect that you would want to do 3-5 cardio sessions per week. Remember, though, that "cardio" and "aerobic" or not the same thing. As a DH racer I would recommend that you focus more on your anaerobic conditioning as it will be of more benefit to you. There would be 1-2 steady state aerobic sessions for active recovery as part of the cardio training.

Prioritizing compound vs. unilateral exercises has no perfect answer but I would say that if you are just starting out I would prioritize the unilateral stuff for the first year or so of training (as in 70%-30%). Even if you had your unilateral strength built up I would still have it at least 50/50. Riding takes place one leg at a time for the most part and some strength coaches (like Mike Boyle) have their athletes using a heavy dose of unilateral leg work at all times. In addtion to the more functional strength they build there is also the added benefit of less wear and tear on the body since you can only use roughly half the weight you would on a bilateral version while still providing the same load to the limb. I do think that you need bilateral exercises like front squats and deadlifts, but mainly to get your body used to being under heavy loads and the nuerological results that produces.

As for complexes, I obviously like them since I wrote and posted an article on them ;). I like to use them to switch things up for conditioning. You have to look at the work to rest ratio to get an idea of how to incorporate them. I like to try and get a 1:1 ration (1 minute of work to 1 minute of rest) going with the complexes as this mimics a lot of the intervals I like to do with people.

I know there is some vaguness here but if you have some more specific questions based on these answers let me know.
Thanks! I really appreciate the time you took to answer my questions. I do have one more question...

Do you think it's worthwhile to build up the work portion of your interval training to be about equal to your average DH run time. IOW, if my average DH run time is 5 minutes, should I strive to have 5 minute work periods in my interval training? I'm thinking that's a bit harsh, and doing multiple shorter (but still intense) intervals will suffice.

Again, thanks for taking the time!

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
People do that???? I end up going to sleep faster on a race night due to going over the race course in my head over and over. I think I normally make it through 1 and a half runs before falling to sleep. Any other night I have the TV on the Fuel channel trying to put me to sleep. For some reason that doesn't work well.:imstupid:

O'Yah, I did used to throw up the morning of a race. It was kind of funny. I really don't know why? But that year I won most of all the big races I did too.

Doing runs in your head is the BEST way to go to sleep.

It's a great mental technique too, but I usually can't make it past 2 runs either.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Do you think it's worthwhile to build up the work portion of your interval training to be about equal to your average DH run time. IOW, if my average DH run time is 5 minutes, should I strive to have 5 minute work periods in my interval training? I'm thinking that's a bit harsh, and doing multiple shorter (but still intense) intervals will suffice.
Not exactly...

I am no fitness guru, but........going back to my high school sports days running track I ran the 400-800 races. When training I would run anywhere between 2-5 miles 3 times a week. I ran the 1/4 and 1/2 mile........but trained 5-10 times my race run. Alot of it is being able to sprint for a 1/4 or 1/2 mile rather than all out burst, then die off.

I know mountain biking has many different aspects to training. Someone like an XC racer might benifit from road training because of the endurance they have to ride. DH/FR people it's a whole different game. DH (as for me) requires alot of muscling around the bike, but also weight control. It takes a lot of muscle to control where things go. Atleast that's the hardest part to me.

bikejames

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
OK. I'm open minded on this. I'm not so much saying Weider World was where the knowledge came from. But you gotta give his camp credit for bringing a vast majority of training principles to the general public. For the most part, scientific studies went largely unrecognized by the masses if not for his marketing machine. I'm not concerned if he inadvertently took credit for others research.

Let me ask you this though. Bodybuilders #1 priority for the first 5-8 years of training should be dedicated to what type of exercises? Mass builders and foundation right? Power moves and compound exercises are that foundation. All the BIG hulks had to do the key moves from powerlifting to build a base of pure mass. The best way to build mass all over...the big 3 powerlift moves, would you agree?

Since winning bodybuilders are generally geneticly proportionate for
the most part, all those unique isolation movements that make for great 6 page articles to sculpt and shape are mostly for show.

As for striations and separation, I've seen guys pre-contest with transparent skin and the lowest of bodyfat still have a smooth bodypart because they didn't put in the training on bulking up each segment of muscle in a given muscle group like calves. You can have massive amounts of muscle tone, virtually no body fat, but if you don't take the time to add mass to say the outer calf and inner calf muscles..come show time, you just have 1 big knot on the back of the calf in the middle of the leg, instead of 3 distinct chunks of muscle that all stand out from each other. Do you agree in that respect or do you think that type of separation and striation is mostly genetics?
To be honest bodybuilding training is not an expertise of mine, although I am pretty well versed in their tactics. While I agree that the Big 3 lifts from power lifting are great (although i would substitute front squats for the back squat and military press for bench press in my Big 3) there is still a difference in the philosophy and methods used by bodybuilders. Again, same exercises, different training system and focus.

Bodybuilders use those exercises in an attempt to get bigger and tend to rely on variety and volume to accomplish this. Powerlifters focus on moving the most weight possible in 3 specific lifts using lifting gear like bench shirts. Focus and methodology are different for these two goals. Saying that 70-80% of a bodybuilder's and powerlifter's programs are the same is simply not true.

And as for the striations, I do think that genetics do play a role in how "striated" and seperated muscles appear. But that is just my opinion.

bikejames

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
Hey James, what's the purpose of the vertical jumps? The logic behind it I mean. At my gym in the past, I've done plyometric vertical jumps, 5 sets of 5 up stairs, but only on off days for legs. Why do them during? Not doubting you...I like to learn new stuff.
This is a simplified version of a complex where you perform a sequence of exercises that progress from heavy and slow to light and fast. The idea being that it really increases the strength and coordination of the nervous system which is the ultimate goal for a strength and power move, which is what snapping gates is.

It is a method I have used with success before and have read about many other strength coaches using and recommending this technique for extreme short term gains. This is a powerful method and will lose its effectiveness after 3-6 weeks.

As a side note, it you had a rider that was really strong but not very powerful you would reverse the order of the exercises and do the vertical jumps first and then the deadlifts. However, until a rider has achieved a double bodyweight deadlift they should focus on getting stronger.

bikejames

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
Thanks! I really appreciate the time you took to answer my questions. I do have one more question...

Again, thanks for taking the time!
No problem on the answers, I'm always glad to help out. As for your question, I do think that you should get to doing 5 minute "intervals" but they should be built up to and used to build work capacity prior to the season. I do think that multiple shorter intervals should be used at first during the offseason and length is built towards.

I do like jumping rope and do think that you should be able to get to where you can jump for 5-10 minutes straight at all times. Jumping rope is such an under utilized conditioning tool and I think is a must for any rider in trying to builf their conditioning and work capacity.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Hey man, I got a question:

Is it a good idea to do two sets of sprints (interval training) in one day? In the past, riding in the morning and then the evening, both with at least 10 5-shift intervals (stop, trackstand, sprint through five gears, repeat) has worked well. But, would it be more effective to do 1 super intense evening session? Usually in the evenings, I'm tired and don't sprint nearly as hard as in the morning. I'm training for my second year racing Pro class, and for DH/Super D only; I don't care about gated racing.

bikejames

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
Hey man, I got a question:

Is it a good idea to do two sets of sprints (interval training) in one day? In the past, riding in the morning and then the evening, both with at least 10 5-shift intervals (stop, trackstand, sprint through five gears, repeat) has worked well. But, would it be more effective to do 1 super intense evening session? Usually in the evenings, I'm tired and don't sprint nearly as hard as in the morning. I'm training for my second year racing Pro class, and for DH/Super D only; I don't care about gated racing.
Short answer, only do 1 session per day. Long answer, you don't need that as much as you need to be on a good, well rounded strength and conditioning program. Doing just those for your training is less than optimal as they do not address strength, mobility and other physical qualities needed to become the best rider you can be. I posted an article here almost a year ago titled "Are You Overskilled?" Check it out as it outlines my basic premise for developing a program.

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
Hey James, have read and listened to lots of the info you have posted on here and it makes a lot of sense. Thanks for all the info.

How do you feel about Rippetoe's Intermediate program and how it crosses over to MTB?

I am sure you know what it is but I will outline it quickly for others.

Monday (all 5x5 increasing weight each set)
Squat
Bench
Rows or snatches

Wed. (all 4x5 increasing weight each set)
Squat (light)
shoulder press
deadlift

Fri. (all 4x5, then 1x3 with +5 lbs. more than you did all week, then 1x8 with same weight as the 3rd set)
Squat
Bench
Rows or snatches

Then on Monday you start over with the weight you used in your 1x3 set as your final heavy set.

I have been doing this program for over a year and I am still making gains. Sometimes it's hard to bang out a personal record on fri. then go ride all day sat. or sun. but I make it work. Not really a racer but I like to ride a lot on the weekends. I try to eat like a horse to make up for the lack of rest. Do you suggest cutting back some in the gym during the week if I am riding a lot on the weekends?

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
ive used that 5x5 program too, it works really well for gaining weight and strength but i found you really need to get a good diet and rest otherwise all that squatting will kick your ass!

now i use a modified version of the westside barbell training split, which is not as taxing on the nervous system so it allows me to add mid week sprinting sessions and also train legs on a wednesday leaving me free to ride on saturday. I have also found this to be excellent for strength gains, and can be better tailored to suit MTB needs.

bikejames

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
Hey James, have read and listened to lots of the info you have posted on here and it makes a lot of sense. Thanks for all the info.

How do you feel about Rippetoe's Intermediate program and how it crosses over to MTB?

I am sure you know what it is but I will outline it quickly for others.

Monday (all 5x5 increasing weight each set)
Squat
Bench
Rows or snatches

Wed. (all 4x5 increasing weight each set)
Squat (light)
shoulder press
deadlift

Fri. (all 4x5, then 1x3 with +5 lbs. more than you did all week, then 1x8 with same weight as the 3rd set)
Squat
Bench
Rows or snatches

Then on Monday you start over with the weight you used in your 1x3 set as your final heavy set.

I have been doing this program for over a year and I am still making gains. Sometimes it's hard to bang out a personal record on fri. then go ride all day sat. or sun. but I make it work. Not really a racer but I like to ride a lot on the weekends. I try to eat like a horse to make up for the lack of rest. Do you suggest cutting back some in the gym during the week if I am riding a lot on the weekends?
To be honest I am not familiar with that exact program but it looks like a rather common version of the 5X5 method. In my opinion that program has too flaws for MTB riders -

1. There is a crap load of leg work. I think that at most you should deadlift once per week and squat once per week (I prefer the front squat to the back squat). Squats and deadlifts are extremely taxing on the nervous system and doing too many of them will lead to CNS burnout and that "heavy legs" feeling. Remeber, as a MTB rider you lift to enhance your riding, not to simply put up numbers in the gym.

2. There is no unilateral work, especially for the lower body. I think that you should always have single leg squat in your program and some sort of unilateral hip dominant movement, like a unilateral RDL or unilateral deadlift. This builds better functional strength and produces good results while avoiding excessive wear and tear on the body.

Also, I would recommend changing up your loading parameters every 4-6 weeks. I think that exercise variety can be over rated but your body does adapt quickly to a specific set/ rep range and as such it should be varied. For beginners I like a traditional linear scheme where you go from higher reps down to lower reps and for intermediate to advanced lifters I like to use an alternating scheme where you swing from low reps to high reps in each phase.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
james.

what sort of target weight should be aimed for in a single leg squat movement such as bulgarian split squat? say for 3 sets of 8..

also i train legs once a week with weight and follow the following routine

squats or deadlifts 6 sets of 3 reps
then..
single leg work 3 sets of 8

i plan to incorporate another excersize, after this lot, do you have any suggestions what would be most productive?

ryebread

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Central Oregon
How much rest is enough? I'm sure its a bit subjetive but is there a rule of thumb?

I'm basically doing a 2 day on 1 off rotation.

Day 1 with weights (alternating these days with deadlift and squats where I'm holding an olympic bar overhead) I also do some traditional upper body exercises - curls, military presses, dips, bench press, pullups and crunches.

Day 2 is intervals on an indoor trainer. Usually with one of the Chris Carmichael (sp?) DVDs.

Day 3 is a rest day.

Also, I tune intesity based on whether or not I'm riding or snowboarding the next day.

Would you suggest a day off in between rather than every third? I did a very similar regiment last off season with good results but would love to get some input from someone that knows what they're talking about.

Thanks

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
This is my wintertrainig.

Makes me flow faster through rockgarden, with the best guitarist in the world in my head.