Quantcast

Asking the father for his daughter in marriage?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Is this really happnening? No kidding? This might be the first thing you've done concerning this wedding that has some actual CLASS!

;)

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
Mine went something like, " sir, i've already tasted, mounted and cream coated her, so is it ok if i marry her too?"

Seriously, props for asking. Just be as genuine, heart on sleeve type attitude. Quiver your bottom lip too.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Full Trucker said:
Is this really happnening? No kidding? This might be the first thing you've done concerning this wedding that has some actual CLASS!

;)
Fine, you're not invited to our Casa Bonita Wedding Spectacular! :mumble:

Changleen said:
You might want to call him first so he's not all "Who the hell is this guy?"

:)
I see him almost everyday... my girl drops our dog off in the morning to play with their dog during the day. I almost asked him tonight

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
maxyedor said:
Take him out for a decent meal, to get to know him and bring it up at dinner.
As mentioned, I do know him, should I take him to dinner or just bring a goat to his house?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
LordOpie said:
As mentioned, I do know him, should I take him to dinner or just bring a goat to his house?
Maybe not a goat per se, but if the guy has a sense of humour maybe you should consider bringing a dowry! That would be CLASSIC!

(Although it might kill the sincerity factor, who knows... ?)

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
LordOpie said:
It'd be classy to take him out. Dinner might be a bit much, maybe just a few drinks at a nice bar. (No sawdust!) :cool:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
do people still do this? i thought ward cleaver was the last documented case.

yeah it's the thought that counts, but it strikes me as silly and unnecessary. my wife could decide for herself, she didn't need parental acquiesence. don't get me wrong, my father-in-law and i get along fine, and it wouldn't have been an issue. just seems archaic and somewhat undermining to the woman's position in the whole thing.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
LordOpie said:
Is Shotgun Willies still around?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
narlus said:
From what I gather, these days it's not so much about asking for PERMISSION, as it is to ask for the father's blessing on the marriage. I think that way it recognizes the woman's ability to make her own life decisions, but is still respectful of tradition...

Or something...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Full Trucker said:
From what I gather, these days it's not so much about asking for PERMISSION, as it is to ask for the father's blessing on the marriage. I think that way it recognizes the woman's ability to make her own life decisions, but is still respectful of tradition...

Or something...
sounds like something rhino would do.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Westy said:
What would you do if he said no?

I've always thought the whole act was a bit insulting to the woman.
my girl insists that I ask him.

I mean, we've already choosen the date: June 2, 2007
We've already choosen where we're honeymooning: two weeks in Italy.
We know who's going to perform the wedding.
And we've got some location ideas.

stevew said:
Is Shotgun Willies still around?
hahah, yeah!

sod8

Chimp
Dec 10, 2001
Santa Barbara, CA
I second what narlus and westy said. It seems very insulting to women. My girlfriend can make up her own mind when I ask her. If her parents approve, then great, if not, oh well.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
narlus said:

yeah it's the thought that counts, but it strikes me as silly and unnecessary. my wife could decide for herself, she didn't need parental acquiesence. don't get me wrong, my father-in-law and i get along fine, and it wouldn't have been an issue. just seems archaic and somewhat undermining to the woman's position in the whole thing.
Yeah, it's definitely her decision, but asking the father for his daughter's hand is kind of like asking to be part of the family; you're going to be calling him your dad anyhow.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
sod8 said:
I second what narlus and westy said. It seems very insulting to women. My girlfriend can make up her own mind when I ask her. If her parents approve, then great, if not, oh well.
Uhh, it's not about permission, it's about respect.

EDIT: yeah, what KingHami III said.

lettemonkey

Chimp
Mar 22, 2006
Westy said:
What would you do if he said no?

I've always thought the whole act was a bit insulting to the woman.

- not insulting. it's sweet. ...actually depends on the woman.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I asked my father in law for his daughters hand. I think it's only insulting to the woman if you and the father take the "permission" part seriously. It doesn't so much show that you think she's property, rather that you respect and appreciate everything that this man did for the woman you love. He (and his wife) raised, taught and generaly shaped her into the person that you fell in love with.

Anyhoo... back on track... when I asked it made not only the father in law ecstatic, it went a looooooooong way with both my wife and her mom.

I took him out for a beer. I had tried to plan it but it turned out kinda spur of the moment. We were walking around the beach and decided to stop for a beer. The conversation turned to the seriousness of life and love and the future and all that so I figured that now was as good a time as any. I said something like, I love your daughter, we've been through lot, you have known me for a long time, yadda yadda... it would be my great honor if you would grant me your permission to ask for your daughters hand in marriage..." (Or something like that)

I had never really seen a man "beam" before.

Do it. Do it right. You will thank yourself later.

And don't take any goats or other livestock as gifts. It's the fathers responsibility to provide YOU with such gifts as part of the dowrey.

Congratulations, and may luck and eloquence shine on you at that most crucial of moments. :thumb:

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
lettemonkey said:
- not insulting. it's sweet. ...actually depends on the woman.

I like the idea of asking for a blessing much more than permission. I think that's getting off to a good start with your future inlaws. All this of course assumes she's got a decent relationship with her dad.

geargrrl

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
LordOpie said:
my girl insists that I ask him.

I bet she and her father are in cahoots. He is going to haze the crap out of you to show your dedication while they both laugh their asses off. At least that is what I hope happens.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
narlus said:
see, that's the problem...i would have asked for a more, uh, delicate part of the anatomy...
I already had that. :D

Shhh... don't tell the wife I said that!

qualude

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The County of Kings
My wife and I went to our parents together...that way, they knew we were both ready and in agreement. She asked my dad...that was a bit wierd....but he has a good sense of humor....

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Ciaran said:
I asked my father in law for his daughters hand. I think it's only insulting to the woman if you and the father take the "permission" part seriously. It doesn't so much show that you think she's property, rather that you respect and appreciate everything that this man did for the woman you love. He (and his wife) raised, taught and generaly shaped her into the person that you fell in love with.

Anyhoo... back on track... when I asked it made not only the father in law ecstatic, it went a looooooooong way with both my wife and her mom.

I took him out for a beer. I had tried to plan it but it turned out kinda spur of the moment. We were walking around the beach and decided to stop for a beer. The conversation turned to the seriousness of life and love and the future and all that so I figured that now was as good a time as any. I said something like, I love your daughter, we've been through lot, you have known me for a long time, yadda yadda... it would be my great honor if you would grant me your permission to ask for your daughters hand in marriage..." (Or something like that)

I had never really seen a man "beam" before.

Do it. Do it right. You will thank yourself later.

And don't take any goats or other livestock as gifts. It's the fathers responsibility to provide YOU with such gifts as part of the dowrey.

Congratulations, and may luck and eloquence shine on you at that most crucial of moments. :thumb:
Were you holding your Mace in one hand......just in case?:rofl: :)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Make sure you show up to his house with the requisite amount of goats and vessels of grain to trade.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
SkaredShtles said:
This is all bass-ackwards. He's supposed to give *YOU* a bunch of cows and wine and stuff to take her off his hands........... :think:
That's what I said!!!

Yes, yes... take the mace with you!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Funny, I've been thinking about this lately as well :think:

My girlfriends twin sister got engaged on Christmas. Her sister's boyfriend asked their dad, and it kinda made him mad. He doesnt like the guy and doesnt want them to get married, but he said that he knew they would do it anyway so he said they had his blessing. His words were "what am I supposed to say? No? then they will get married out of spite."

Now, in my case, her dad loves me and we hang out fairly often. I think he would be honest with me, and I would respect whatever he said. In the event that he says no, or its too soon, or whatever, I would take that into heavy consideration.