Quantcast

Asking the father for his daughter in marriage?

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Jimmy_Pop said:
Mine went something like, " sir, i've already tasted, mounted and cream coated her, so is it ok if i marry her too?"
ahahahahahahaha!!.....that makes me want to have a second chance at it....

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
what the hell are ya'll talkin about askin the dad!!! you aint marryin him are ya?!?!?!1111

BSEVEER

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
SoCal
Mike B. said:
I skipped it and find the whole thing pretty rediculous. I don't refer to my father-in-law as 'dad' either, he is Bill to me.

+1

I didn't ask for permission or a blessing. It wouldn't have mattered what the answer was anyway so I figured why even ask?

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
narlus said:
do people still do this? i thought ward cleaver was the last documented case.

yeah it's the thought that counts, but it strikes me as silly and unnecessary. my wife could decide for herself, she didn't need parental acquiesence. don't get me wrong, my father-in-law and i get along fine, and it wouldn't have been an issue. just seems archaic and somewhat undermining to the woman's position in the whole thing.

wtf? :confused:

Narlus & I have the same opinion on something!

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
Why the dad?

What about mom?

just a thought.

and.... I'm a grown woman, capable of making her own decisions. If I weren't like this, why would you want me?

Ask her, then when you get the 'yes', show up on the parent's doorstep and demand 14 cows, 2 goats, and her sister. That would be a great way to tell the parents.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
johnbryanpeters said:
If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

That said, you know the guy, just go talk to him. As mentioned above, get the two 'rents together and ask them both. You are not purchasing a slab of beef.

Thats my plan, take BOTH parents out to dinner and let them know whats up :thumb:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I actually took "him" I.E. her father for a bike ride.

When I asked him, he of course said yes and I made sure I as on the opposite side of the road. When he said "YES I could" I said thanks because I already bought the ring.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
SkaredShtles said:
Yes. Yes it is. It is soooooooooooooo much cheaper to simply fly the grandparents out than to pay the price of them living close. :D
:rofl: As I always tell my family when they visit, "it was nice to see you come here but it's better to see you go".;)

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I did not ask my father in law to marry his daughter...but then again we dated for 7 years before the proposal...and lived together for 5, so.....

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
I think asking the dad is so cheesy and bizarre. So, are you engaged already, or have you just started planning a wedding without a big sparkly? Sorry, I am confused. :think:

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
MudGrrl said:
I also think the 'big sparkly' thing is over rated too..

why do guys have to buy us things to prove their love?

what kind of materialistic btchs are we?
I think its a case of impressing friends more than anything. How practical is a 1ct.+ ring for doing anything other than showing it off anyways? One chick I worked with insisted that 3 months salary be spent on her ring - fugg that - thats a gotdamn new car!

Julie's parents would be on the phone with her the instant I left if I asked them..

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
Mike B. said:
I skipped it and find the whole thing pretty rediculous. I don't refer to my father-in-law as 'dad' either, he is Bill to me.
:stupid:

same here but I call him D!CKHEAD. I figured if he knocked up her mom before asking her dad, that I didnt need his permission either.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Mike B. said:
I don't refer to my father-in-law as 'dad' either, he is Bill to me.
Same here. The whole mom or dad thing just sounds way to incestuous to me.

Incest is best kept in the family.