Quantcast

Asking those that know....here's a dumb question...

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Picked up a new fork last night and the steerer is a little shorter than my old fork (but the fork itself is a little longer). Due to the steerer being shorter, the stem was installed without any spacers.

The stem is 1-3/4" tall and the steer tube comes about 3/8" from the top of the stem. Would it be OK to put a spacer in there? How much room do I have to play with (I would like to move the bars up)?

If it matters, the stem is an Azonic 50mm shorty and the fork is a Marzocchi Z1

Thanks! :thumb:

jeb4

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Normally you're supposed to have 5mm from the top of the stem. 3/8 is pretty much there. I wouldn't add a spacer.

If you do add a spacer, make sure the top of the steerer tube doesn't drop past the upper most stem bolt that clamps to the steerer tube.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I agree with ChrisRobin. If you want to move them up you may have to get either higher rise bars, or a different stem. Kore makes (made?) a BMX style stem that had a very short stack height that was good for people who had too-short of steer tubes.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Same, no spacer.

And be careful with your Shorty. Mine broke, and losing steering control sucks. They are not a well made stem.