Quantcast

AssButter:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Is this stuff actually common, or am I the only guy that slathers up before a ride?

I get some strange looks, but I find Im much more comfortable, you know, lubed up...

:biggrin:

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
A friend I used to race dirtbikes with would always lube up...it was always a good laugh in the morning becuse we would all say the same thing... no double dipping...now my nephew makes fun of me for the same reason...

Aug 31, 2006
I'm pretty much just riding pavement these days, but have to say... if you need it (at least for road) then you're riding with the wrong shorts, saddle, technique, and/or fit.

Since I found the right shorts and saddle for me and made some adjustments, I never -- not even a little -- get sore, numbness, rash, anything even on rides over five hours.

So no, I don't use any butter.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I'm pretty much just riding pavement these days, but have to say... if you need it (at least for road) then you're riding with the wrong shorts, saddle, technique, and/or fit.

Since I found the right shorts and saddle for me and made some adjustments, I never -- not even a little -- get sore, numbness, rash, anything even on rides over five hours.

So no, I don't use any butter.
Actually, I use pretty much the best shorts you can get when I do road or 24's. I don't remember the exact model but they are Pearl Izumi and they are about $150. They are extremely comforable and I could probably survive without the butter when wearing them.

However the butter also helps the chamois last longer, and even if you personally don't like it or feel you need it, the fact of the matter is that you are in a very small minority of serious road cyclists.

Aug 31, 2006
...and even if you personally don't like it or feel you need it, the fact of the matter is that you are in a very small minority of serious road cyclists.
Really? I actually don't follow or read about the sport that much... so I made an assumption.

As for making the chamios last longer, well, I don't really like the feel of the butter -- probably cuz I've only used it a few times and haven't gotten used to it -- so I'd rather just buy shorts more often.

I :cupidarrow: my Descente bibs.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
As for making the chamios last longer, well, I don't really like the feel of the butter -- probably cuz I've only used it a few times and haven't gotten used to it -- so I'd rather just buy shorts more often.
Yeah definitely if it ain't your cup of tea, no reason to slather up just cuz other people do.

I damn sure don't wanna drop bank on good riding shorts any more than necessary though :dead:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Yeah definitely if it ain't your cup of tea, no reason to slather up just cuz other people do.

I damn sure don't wanna drop bank on good riding shorts any more than necessary though :dead:
do you need a pair with a natural chamois to use the butter or does it work with the synthetics, and coolmax ones? I would think it would counteract the coolmax! ?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
N8 knows more about anal sex than i do, but i'm positive i've done more long epics than he has, and i swear by this:

it's kept me from getting nasty saddle sores for the western xc trips where we ride for 5-6 days straight, every day.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Shaving your ass is just as effective and cheaper. (or so I hear)

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Perhaps I just have a macho hangup or something, but I would rather cultivate a calloused and leathered burlap beanbag than crisco-up my ballzakk bits before a ride. The very concept seems so nasty to me and used in conjunction with chamois pants, I bet it'd feel like riding in Depends after falling victim to Montezuma's Revenge. Worse yet, what if you inadvertently got the bollocks balm mixed up with your Flex-all or Icy-Hot?:disgust1:

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
This thread has unexpected results.

I no longer wish to ride a bicycle.

Thank you all very f'n much.

;)

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Perhaps I just have a macho hangup or something, but I would rather cultivate a calloused and leathered burlap beanbag than crisco-up my ballzakk bits before a ride. The very concept seems so nasty to me and used in conjunction with chamois pants, I bet it'd feel like riding in Depends after falling victim to Montezuma's Revenge. Worse yet, what if you inadvertently got the bollocks balm mixed up with your Flex-all or Icy-Hot?:disgust1:
Yes, it feels like you sh!t yourself. Rather liberating actually.