Quantcast

Assigned parking spaces at work

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
So... after 2 years working at the same company, with an assigned parking space inside the building from the beginning (same perk/condition as my previous job); some asshole in HR decided to raffle parking spaces... now I dont have one.

my 500+ people office is in a rough part of town; and I have to deal with 3rd world street hecklers to find a parking space, twice per day (once in the morning, and once at noon, when I go to my mom´s house for lunch), and risk having some stupid shit stolen/keyed; if I dont cough up a few bucks everyday, or if the guy "watching" the car decides to steal my mirrors and sell them for 10 bucks...

its been 4 days so far; and am seriously thinking about starting to look for other jobs...
have already talked with my awesome boss the other day (was in a business trip during the raffle), and he said "dude, you came too late; i already asigned everything I could to other guys; sorry but I cant get you anything"....

god, how I hate HR types.....

/end rant.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
sorry dude. are there any grassy spots or "non-traditional" parking locations conveniently located by your office door? you have a truck right? :D

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
But in all seriousness, I'm perplexed how a company can go back on a negotiated condition of employment. Have you tried that tack?

You could always find one guy that looks like he's reliable, and grease him up good. Promise extra pay at Christmas and Easter, and make sure he takes extra-special care of your car... you know, the informal economy!

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
But in all seriousness, I'm perplexed how a company can go back on a negotiated condition of employment. Have you tried that tack?

You could always find one guy that looks like he's reliable, and grease him up good. Promise extra pay at Christmas and Easter, and make sure he takes extra-special care of your car... you know, the informal economy!
$20 bucks per day to park at a nearby shopping mall, and walk 300 yards.

$5 bucks per day to deal with a street hustler. thing is, I hate dealing with hustlers. motherfuckers will stab you in the back (steal your stuff) anytime they need quick money.

godammit. how i hate HR people! specially the short-sighted ones....
a co-worker of mine quit about a year ago, when they took away his awesome private office (with own proyector, board table/chairs and independent A/C controls) and sent him to a cubicle on a "cost-cutting" meassure.
shortly afterwards, our dept had to pay the $25k headhunter bill, as requested by HR; to poach an even more expensive guy to replace the guy who left..... :bonk:

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

$5 bucks per day to deal with a street hustler. thing is, I hate dealing with hustlers. motherfuckers will stab you in the back (steal your stuff) anytime they need quick money.

You're still young... soon you will hate everyone.

:homer:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Buy yourself a shit box to drive to work and leave the good truck at home. You can park it any where if it looks like you might need a tetanus shot to drive it. And if you work for the manufacturer of your nice truck, then driving another brand of beater to work will be a nice little passive aggressive slight towards your oppressive overlords.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
could be trump vp....already hates poor brown people?

i kid....i kid....
I am brown people!

and by the way...

http://www.fastcompany.com/53319/why-we-hate-hr
1. HR people aren't the sharpest tacks in the box. We'll be blunt: If you are an ambitious young thing newly graduated from a top college or B-school with your eye on a rewarding career in business, your first instinct is not to join the human-resources dance. (At the University of Michigan's Ross School of Business, which arguably boasts the nation's top faculty for organizational issues, just 1.2% of 2004 grads did so.) Says a management professor at one leading school: "The best and the brightest don't go into HR."

Who does? Intelligent people, sometimes — but not businesspeople. "HR doesn't tend to hire a lot of independent thinkers or people who stand up as moral compasses," says Garold L. Markle, a longtime human-resources executive at Exxon and Shell Offshore who now runs his own consultancy. Some are exiles from the corporate mainstream: They've fared poorly in meatier roles — but not poorly enough to be fired. For them, and for their employers, HR represents a relatively low-risk parking spot.
2. HR pursues efficiency in lieu of value. Why? Because it's easier — and easier to measure. Dave Ulrich, a professor at the University of Michigan, recalls meeting with the chairman and top HR people from a big bank. "The training person said that 80% of employees have done at least 40 hours in classes. The chairman said, 'Congratulations.' I said, 'You're talking about the activities you're doing. The question is, What are you delivering?' "

a co-worker of mine quit about a year ago, when they took away his awesome private office (with own proyector, board table/chairs and independent A/C controls) and sent him to a cubicle on a "cost-cutting" meassure.
shortly afterwards, our dept had to pay the $25k headhunter bill, as requested by HR; to poach an even more expensive guy to replace the guy who left..... :bonk:
The piece not being discussed in this topic is the reason the hustler and his kin are there. There will always be petty criminals, but I suspect there are not a lot of good jobs available to your buddy.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Park at the mall and expense company. Send in the expense reports with a copy of your contract with the appropriate part of your contract highlighted. Do this until it has been corrected.
As JBP mentioned, find out whether he (or other peers in HR) had a spot before or not. If he didn't and now does, throw a massive email based shit fit up the food chain pointing out the convenient nature of his new parking spot. Note that you will continue to expense the company for parking until you get your contractually agreed upon spot.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
awww, c'mon. isn't that a bit extreme? it's not like they took his stapler and moved his office to the basement or something...
That's why he needs to burn the building down now. Teach them the lesson early. Give these bastards an inch, and they will take a mile. Stop it now before it becomes something else. Brook no bullshit.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Park at the mall and expense company. Send in the expense reports with a copy of your contract with the appropriate part of your contract highlighted. Do this until it has been corrected.
As JBP mentioned, find out whether he (or other peers in HR) had a spot before or not. If he didn't and now does, throw a massive email based shit fit up the food chain pointing out the convenient nature of his new parking spot. Note that you will continue to expense the company for parking until you get your contractually agreed upon spot.
To add to this, document, document and document. Take names and get statements, write your own statement. Pictures, letters, etc. If it gets elevated, you'll likely come out on top, because the lawyers will usually realize that someone who has documented everything is on top of it with a real case/justified position.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Dude shat on you, but now has a problem shitting on others? Sounds like an A #1 peckerhead to me...out him as such to the entire company, bitch up a storm, emphasizing your CONTRACTUALLY AGREED UPON PARKING SPACE and you will get space back. If not, a cheap bag of potato chips beneath his oil pan and a pack of matches ought to straighten the little prick out...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
my problem is exactly there. my parking space is NOT written on my contract.
It was given to me on a verbal agreement, which apparently isnt worth shit.

HR is a revolving door, most people I dealt with no longer work there.

to make things even better... I got a note left on my windscreen last friday, when I parked on a public space apparently "owned" by some hustler... read "mr. xxxxx (company I work for), do not park here, or else tires will be deflated)"...