Quantcast

Assignment from a professor...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Caitlin just got a weird paper assgn from her honors writing professor on the first day of class..

"What was the most significant learning experience in your entire life?'

4-5 page paper, due in a week. She says the professor is "scary" intelligent...philosophishily.

Is he ****ing with his class, or not?

Connundrum1

Monkey
Mar 11, 2005
Gold River, Sac Town, CA
its one of those testing the students to see how they can write from their own experiences. its different if its about a text, here its about past experiences. i kinda like the assignment, its really easy for a standard english class because it's easy to BS but honors classes can be scary.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
yeah, shes in honors writing....whatd she expect?

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
That is one of the essay topics that is offered on our state HS assessment test. (the one the kids have to pass to graduate HS!!!) It shouldn't be that hard!

break it down, and organize the different parts of the story you want to tell.
1. incedent itself and all the facts.
2. what factors lead to the incedent.
3. what were the impacts on all parties involved (if there are any)
4. how the incedent affected me directly (ties in with #3, but more direct.)
5. what I learned.

I love writing, and writing assignments! I'd much rather write a paper than take a test! Wish her luck, but she won't need it if she organizes her thoughts and gets some structure to them!

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Have her make it completely fictional, to see if the Prof is on his toes. Tell her to write about her experience smuggling drugs from Mexico or better yet leading a group that helped illegal immigrants cross the border.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
jonKranked said:
I would have to write about the day I discovered crystal meth.

My wife's brother is a total F up. For a while he and his girlfriend were living in the basement of his mother's house (@ age 33 = loser) Anyway. They moved out and left a huge mess. My wife and sister ended up getting stuck cleaning it out. Amongst the wreckage they found a list that the girlfriend had made.

It went something like this:

clean Room
do Speed
Wash car
organize drawers
go to grocery store
wash laundry
fold clothes

The only think crossed off the list was "do speed"

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
ok... you called him a "professor" - so I'm assuming this is a college level course?

What's the big deal... especially in an honors level writing class? I assume she had to do something similar on her college applications? Don't most college apps have essay questions similar to this?

Oh, for me it would probably be being married.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Leethal said:
Have her make it completely fictional, to see if the Prof is on his toes. Tell her to write about her experience smuggling drugs from Mexico or better yet leading a group that helped illegal immigrants cross the border.
That's what I said, but she won't do it... :p

I dunno, if I was a professor, I'd give this assignment to screw with people, and expect most of the class to make it up.

I should probably add that they're supposed to share their paper with the rest of the class. Caitlin has lots of learning experiences, but she doesn't particularly want to share them with anyone, seeing as how they're all mostly construed as negative...

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
blue said:
That's what I said, but she won't do it... :p

I dunno, if I was a professor, I'd give this assignment to screw with people, and expect most of the class to make it up.

I should probably add that they're supposed to share their paper with the rest of the class. Caitlin has lots of learning experiences, but she doesn't particularly want to share them with anyone, seeing as how they're all mostly construed as negative...
it is what it is! it is an assignment, maybe one that is intended to introduce each other and let people in on personal true life crap, while also evaluating individual writing styles.

I think this is getting blown out of proportion a bit!

Writing is a way of sharing. The most courageous of writers can open enough to share deeply troublesome aspects of their experience. Caitlin may or may not have the courage to do so.

Why in the world would an instructor worthy of the name choose to "screw with people"?

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Back when I was in high school, I had a teacher who was like a military drill Seargent my first day. He told me to sit up straight in my desk, and that if he had to tell me again, I'd get areferal. I was like, WTF?

Eventually, he ended up being the coolest professor I've ever had, and my friends and I go out with him to bars and such when he comes back into town.

Give it time... it's the teachers that push their students and challenge them that are the best.