Quantcast

Astar or Leatt

phycoref

Chimp
Oct 6, 2010
Canada
If your looking for safety then go Leatt, it protects against hyper extensions and spinal compression, Alpinestars only does compression.

phycoref

Chimp
Oct 6, 2010
Canada
I have the GPX Moto Club II and it is very nice. I wouldn't go with the adventure unless you try it on and can adjust it for all of your needs. But I personally would recommend the GPX Moto Club II although that is a Moto brace, or you can go with the DBX Comp. Basically the main difference between the GPX and the DBX is the DBX (the mountain bike line) has lower profile pads. However my Club II fits fine with my Giro Remedy. Hopefully this helps!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I have A* but If I were to use it without body armor I'd use leat. Though they both require modification so I'm not sure if A* is better for anything. It's cheaper though.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Omega x1 brace is quickly adjustable for height profile, so you can get the right clearance with or without armor or with different helmets.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I just purchased a leatt dbx.

Have not ridden with it yet, but have adjusted it to my fit, and played around a little with it, I have a regular moto helmet currently and it seems to be decent, no major restrictions in my movement. we'll see how it rides this weekend.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I say Leatt. I have been riding the Moto GPX for the last few years. I recently picked up the DBX Pro brace which is much lighter and even less noticeable. I don't ride without it. I know they have 3 different inserts for sizing. I don't know what the alpinestar one offers for fit.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Just bought the Astar - should be here in the next two days. I'll report back when I get some time on it. I used a Leatt before and really liked it, so we'll see.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Wow.
Glad you're ok!

I tested my Leatt 2 years ago, scary...but it worked.
I did that on a practice run. I couldn't figure out why the course marshal kept asking if i was ok after I got up. I rode down the rest of the course, tried to take it off and it wouldn't open. That's when I realized that something was wrong.

I raced the next day without it and it felt a little weird without it.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Both of them really are about as good as each other.

They both make a lot of claims to protecting you from this and that. but before they came along we seemed to be ok when we crashed. But now every one says.."god my neck brace so took the impact" Well of course it did its right behind your helmet!

I think they are good, if fitted well and your helmet is properly tightened! you cant really go wrong with either.

I would say go with the plastic one. Carbon fiber is not built for taking impacts to the surface. So your not paying for any safety advantage just weight saving. The plastic one will do just fine. :-)