Quantcast

Astrix havoc R & fitting Marzocchi 888 VF2

Sep 16, 2020
Morning Ladies and Gentleman,

I have a Astrix havoc R which I'm currently resurrecting and have a question.

I'm trying to fit a 888 VF2 Dual crown fork, the bike has e13 reducer cups with hope bearings fitted so is essentially zero stack, the issue I have is the head tube is very short coming in at 115mm and the gap between the upper and lower clamps is pretty big. If I set the top crown flush with the headset its not going to be clamping on the stanchions in the correct place.

Can I run spacers under the upper crown to fill out the gap? It will end up being 30mm or so, is this too much?

If this is a no no would I be better off ditching the e13 reducer and buying a threadless headset like a FSA Pig dh pro which already has the height factored into it?

Cheers and sorry for being long winded hope it makes sense.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
You can run spaces between the top crown and your headset. Pay attention that headset preload is right.
Swapping the head set is another option.

Get it dialed and post a picture here.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yeah run it with spacers, it'll be fine.

Turner DHR's had super short head tubes as well, so you either ran the top crown really low or stacked some spacers under it.

Sep 16, 2020
This is as good as I can get it, push the stanchions up they hit the bars. Drop the top crown to here and it still needs spacers but the stanchions don't poke out so much.
IMG_20201007_180316.jpg