Quantcast

ASX Question

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
I am thinking about getting an 06 ASX but I can't decide between the DHX air or the coil.

I will be shredding at our local spot called Windrock, which speaks for itself about the conditions

Does anyone has any input regarding my quandry?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
for windrock i would certainly go coil. the have a tendancy to be much more durable for the big hits you will be taking. i would even suggest running it at 6 inches in the rear to lower you bottom bracket a lil (asx's feel really tall)and to slack out the headtube some more.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
I started at windrock with the first ASX, you know the adjustable 4,5,6 frame. And then I started racing and so I got a DH9. Now I just want something a little more versitile and it can only be a Yeti. Because its a family thing and you can never leave "the family".

I am gathering that the coil DHX in the 6" setting will be the bees knees.

Also, thanks to Stoney98 for the write up about the ASX.

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
Hey B you can join me, I sold the DH-9 and have rebuilt the DH-8 with the ultra smooth Rock Shox Pro deluxe pull shock that no one seems to want to rebuild for me. I will be racing that and the old, but hardly ridden AS-x. Should be quite a spectacle to see if I can stay out of the trees!

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
The DHX coil sounds like a great idea, especially in the 6" setting. I tried riding mine at 7" with tons of sag and it sucked in every situation except while climbing. The 5th Element coil seems to be working well, albeit a few odd squawks here and there. Anyhow, enjoy your AS-X. What fork are you running?

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
bikenweed said:
The DHX coil sounds like a great idea, especially in the 6" setting. I tried riding mine at 7" with tons of sag and it sucked in every situation except while climbing. The 5th Element coil seems to be working well, albeit a few odd squawks here and there. Anyhow, enjoy your AS-X. What fork are you running?

I am probably going to put a Fox DC on it since I can adjust the travel but the vanilla 36 would be rad as well.

What fork are you running.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
ztlh13 said:
Hey B you can join me, I sold the DH-9 and have rebuilt the DH-8 with the ultra smooth Rock Shox Pro deluxe pull shock that no one seems to want to rebuild for me. I will be racing that and the old, but hardly ridden AS-x. Should be quite a spectacle to see if I can stay out of the trees!

Awesome!

My newest philosophy is to focus less on equipment and more on skill.

I mean I never blew up in a race because of my steeds, I just couldn't ride like the top five.

And I'll be racing more BMX and 4x than DH for sure this coming season.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I have the 40RC2 on mine and it's great, but if you ride a lot of poorly built North Shore the turning radius won't impress you. The bike feels the best at 6" of travel, so the 36 Vanilla would rock, but then again, if you're at windrock, maybe the adjustable 2" more of suspension could do you right. BTW, when you push on the top tube, both the fork and the shock compress about equally. ¡Super compensado!

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
spoke80 said:
I seem to recall you saying something else after the last xc race......

But who gives a sh_t really, riding bikes is riding bikes. That frame w/ the dhx air in the back and a 36 talas would be pretty neat and how I would spend my money. 'My friend's sister's half brother w/ 6 toes on one foot thought about riding tunnel trail with one once, so it should be perfect, because common, tunnel trail.' But whatever you do, that frame would just be plain fun at windrock and bigfoot and most everything else around here.

Oh, Ben. I wadded up pretty good Tuesday night. Some gommer kids sitting in the middle of the slope behind one of the bigger rollers and I ate it trying not to decapitate them. My right leg refuses to bend. But we're still rocking out Friday after work. -peace

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
d.e.f. said:
I seem to recall you saying something else after the last xc race......

But who gives a sh_t really, riding bikes is riding bikes. That frame w/ the dhx air in the back and a 36 talas would be pretty neat and how I would spend my money. 'My friend's sister's half brother w/ 6 toes on one foot thought about riding tunnel trail with one once, so it should be perfect, because common, tunnel trail.' But whatever you do, that frame would just be plain fun at windrock and bigfoot and most everything else around here.

Oh, Ben. I wadded up pretty good Tuesday night. Some gommer kids sitting in the middle of the slope behind one of the bigger rollers and I ate it trying not to decapitate them. My right leg refuses to bend. But we're still rocking out Friday after work. -peace

I didn't mention XC because this is the gravity forum and I won't be climbing anything with this rig.

Sux about the slope campers! Hopefully they learned a good lesson while observing your sh!t eating. Ice that leg down and get ready for tomorrow!

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
spoke80 said:
Awesome!

I mean I never blew up in a race because of my steeds, I just couldn't ride like the top five.

you say that now, but wait till you see the new stuff and the "new" trail one.(go with the coil.)

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
dhbuilder said:
you say that now, but wait till you see the new stuff and the "new" trail one.(go with the coil.)

I've been waiting on you to drop by. I will be looking for a guided tour in the next couple of weekends.

Merry Christmas sir!

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
spoke80 said:
I didn't mention XC because this is the gravity forum and I won't be climbing anything with this rig.

Sux about the slope campers! Hopefully they learned a good lesson while observing your sh!t eating. Ice that leg down and get ready for tomorrow!
Just giving you a little grief. There is all kinds of other retarded crap in this forum now so I figured a little xc nonsence wouldn't hurt. A little mineral ice and a few beers and my leg will be fine.

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
spoke80 said:
Awesome!

I will be right there with you! DH is just too much work for a lone rider to cover $$$. My pogo stick has been good to me in the past and after the past two seasons it can't get worse.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
d.e.f. said:
Hey Joey. Long time, ehh.
long time indeed. hate to hear about your crash. awile back we had some lookieloos out here, came barreling around the corner and bang. some folks have no clue as to how fast others are going or how far back up a trail you have to commit. heal up.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
spoke, your new ride may not be a full blown d.h. rig, but i don't think it'll hold you back in the least. i've seen you ride.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
dark side my a.. that's a gray area if you ask me. you know where the real dark side exists.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Just because you have to do more than just hold on to your brakes to make it to the finish line of a track, there's no reason to hate! :P

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
ztlh13 said:
I will be right there with you! DH is just too much work for a lone rider to cover $$$. My pogo stick has been good to me in the past and after the past two seasons it can't get worse.
what with the migraines, gaps in your memory...frequently buying new helmets.....:love:

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
Just make sure that that bike has the manditory tabs for bolting on your training wheels, and skirt shield for the chain.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
SinatorJ said:
Just make sure that that bike has the manditory tabs for bolting on your training wheels, and skirt shield for the chain.
Thank for the reccomendations!

And in addition to these latest mods I guess replacing the seatpost and saddle with an automatic tampon injector would be required.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
GravityFreakTJ said:
That is just so wrong....Ben's needs to give ya a good :nuts:
thanks for posting the bike again...even funnier the second time.
If Ben can't handle my jokes, he'll poison me with tainted meats rather than physical violence...he's the cerebral assasin.:cool:

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
bizutch said:
thanks for posting the bike again...even funnier the second time.
If Ben can't handle my jokes, he'll poison me with tainted meats rather than physical violence...he's the cerebral assasin.:cool:
Butch, you must be going soft as a result of your ever increasing estrogen level at home.

And judging by your previously posted picture it seems you need to be focusing more on your decreasing manliness and less on pretty toys for your girls.

Maybe we should all pitch in on a subscription to Swank for you for Christmas. But I guess your man-handled JcPenny catalog is doing the trick for you.:love: :love: :love: :love:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
spoke80 said:
Butch, you must be going soft as a result of your ever increasing estrogen level at home.

And judging by your previously posted picture it seems you need to be focusing more on your decreasing manliness and less on pretty toys for your girls.

Maybe we should all pitch in on a subscription to Swank for you for Christmas. But I guess your man-handled JcPenny catalog is doing the trick for you.:love: :love: :love: :love:
Yeah...I'm about to be outnumbered 3 to 1 in 8-10 weeks!

Get this crap..somehow yesterday, Cassidy dislocated her elbow. Ryane just happened to take her to the doctor today and the doc figured it out and set it...isn't that horrible! But she wasn't even that bad about it..she slept through the night on it...my trooper.
Now...to cut the arm off of her deceitful little cousin and feed it to his mother!!!:mumble:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
hey ben, remember the last time sinatorj rode up here at windrock? he and doug were in the parkinglot licking their darkhollow wounds as we went up for another run. and has the illustrious bizutch ever not had his or his bikes ass handed to him up here?(he is the broken chain and derailleur king.) i seem to remember him piling it up on the very first turn at one of the races. the list of humbled arrogance is long and star filled up here. bring on that little asx, we'll see what they got.(sarcasm, ya gotta love it.)

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
bizutch said:
Yeah...I'm about to be outnumbered 3 to 1 in 8-10 weeks!

Get this crap..somehow yesterday, Cassidy dislocated her elbow. Ryane just happened to take her to the doctor today and the doc figured it out and set it...isn't that horrible! But she wasn't even that bad about it..she slept through the night on it...my trooper.
Now...to cut the arm off of her deceitful little cousin and feed it to his mother!!!:mumble:
Dude!

Gnarly!

I would still be crying.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
dhbuilder said:
he and doug were in the parkinglot licking their darkhollow wounds as we went up for another run.

Yeah, sorry JP and I couldn't do more runs that day. Too bad he had to drive me to the hospital for two broken vertebrae. :nopity: :dead:

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
profro said:
Yeah, sorry JP and I couldn't do more runs that day. Too bad he had to drive me to the hospital for two broken vertebrae. :nopity: :dead:
You did ride the rest of the way out after that crash....and you still beat me down to the parking lot!