Quantcast

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Its certainly possible to hit it, but like always, better technique yeilds better results, 4X4 drivers go across gullys/logs crooked, same deal, wheelie over/into a log. My bash is nearly 3 years old, hardly any marks on it, and most of them were just cruising around the woods locally. I feel that its like improving the ground clearance of a jeep than putting a body kit on it. You may gain an inch (id think less) on the bash, but your pedals still hit and so does your derailleur.
I go through pedals alot, but my bashs are usually pretty clean. Maybe im just the next sam hill, but i feel that many people wheelie over logs, or unweight the bike. to gain those 3 inches of sag. Both of these are of course skipping the obvious bunny-hopping over it. (and i havent personally seen a log across a DH trail *especially at a resort* that 80% of the people couldnt hop over. I assume that 85% of the new (product) bikes are sold with the intention of riding at a resort. I doubt (product) is thinking about john smith who builds shady dh trails in his backyard.

This is different for XC riding.

maybe start riding real tracks then, with real roxx™® in it. not just the east coast version... :rolleyes:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/specialized-demo-8-prototype.html

Fingers crossed the 12x135 rear triangle will be available aftermarket.
Good on them that they pulled it off, but I (yes me) think that until the high end derailleurs catch on, it wont be as popular. I am talking about a true 7 speed saint, not a 9 speed with the limit scews shoved in. Hopefully they wont ditch the 150 standard next year, id love for it to be an option for a few years first. I am not looking forward to dumping all my rear wheels because somebody came up with a 9 speed tooth.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
So again, why not just run a Hadley or Hope SS hub with a couple gears on it? I'm confused.

Aren't the flanges wider on those too?
135mm hub = narrower rear triangle, lighter WITH the dishless rear wheel.

9T cassette = smaller front chainring with more clearance.

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
I think this is trying to fix an imaginary problem, when is the last time you fell because you hit your chainring on the ground, not your pedals. It makes more sense for 120mm crank lengths, the only person i can see this being good for, is bighitr so he can ride over the logs and not have to buy a longer shock.
Coiuple of vids floating around with rounds up last year's races, and with reference to the Fort William race, Marc Beaumont and Sam Hill both buried their pedals pulling off some massive hucks at Mach F(ukushima). They didnt bial, but if both your pedals eat some dust, not hard to imagine the chainring get's a proper smashing. For those guys, busted/bent chainrings is End Of Podium.

In the One Run Wins All scenario, the finer detail of a less bashable chainring thanks to a 30-9T drivetrain, not to mention the implied weight savings, makes all the sense there is.

For the rest of us, the disadvantages outweight the benefits. It's purely nice to have :thumb:

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I have doubts that we will see any halflink 7-9 speed chains.
In my experience, halflink chains are no where near as stiff as a traditional chain in the horizontal plane.
A few of us at the shop have shown many kids what a Shadow halflink chain does right out of the box. You can actually twist the chain 180 deg. on the counter. We stick something like a 510HX next to it and can barely get 90 deg the entire length of the chain.
Halflink chains also tend to "stretch" relatively easily, this is of course a true "stretching" as the links like to try to straighten out. A traditional chain need the roller to wear to show any signs of "stretching"(although it's technically not stretching the links themselves).

I don't run halflinks on any of my BMX bikes. I wouldn't run a halflink on any of my mountain bikes.
I would love to run a 6 or 7 speed setup though. I think I'll setup my DJ bike that way when the time comes to build up my wheels.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I have doubts that we will see any halflink 7-9 speed chains.
In my experience, halflink chains are no where near as stiff as a traditional chain in the horizontal plane.
A few of us at the shop have shown many kids what a Shadow halflink chain does right out of the box. You can actually twist the chain 180 deg. on the counter. We stick something like a 510HX next to it and can barely get 90 deg the entire length of the chain.
Halflink chains also tend to "stretch" relatively easily, this is of course a true "stretching" as the links like to try to straighten out. A traditional chain need the roller to wear to show any signs of "stretching"(although it's technically not stretching the links themselves).

I don't run halflinks on any of my BMX bikes. I wouldn't run a halflink on any of my mountain bikes.
I would love to run a 6 or 7 speed setup though. I think I'll setup my DJ bike that way when the time comes to build up my wheels.
My pics were simply to illustrate the burliness of a chain intended for a micro drivetrain as compared to a standard 9spd chain. I agree that half-link chain stretches more than straight-plate chain and is not a good candidate for multi-speed use.

Twistiness is a good thing if you're running the chain across a wide gear range, though. Rohloff chains for example are known for their flexibility. Lateral stiffness is better on single speed options to prevent derailment.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Twistiness is a good thing if you're running the chain across a wide gear range, though. Rohloff chains for example are known for their flexibility. Lateral stiffness is better on single speed options to prevent derailment.
Yes, halflinks will make up for a bad chainline. However, I doubt they will shift anywhere near decent.