Quantcast

At least it was better than sitting on the couch

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
So yesterday my masterplan was to leave work an hour early and go for a ride with my friend Curt, it seemed cursed from the start

Problem#1 Asshat client doesn't give me the spreadsheet to make their map until 15 minutes before I'm supposed to leave.:redhot: I manage to geocode the listings and make the map and I'm onlt 15 miuntes past the planned time.

Problem#2 "Hey, my freewheel just slipped!" said Curt. Uh oh! It happened again, then there was no more engagement and a freewheel in both directions...American Classic hub, 3 years old, 220lb rider, I guess it was bound to happen.

Problem#3 Flats. We turned around for a spirited 'coast' down the fireroad. I'm having fun and airing every stupid bump in the road. Appearantly Specialized thinks its a good idea to put paper thin tires and tubes on the bikes to make 'em light! Personally I prefer air in my tires:redhot:
I of course forgot a spare tube, patched the one I flatted. When we got to the bottom and were chatting I realized my front was flat too:rofl: Too F'n funny.

While the ride was a technical disaster, it was still fun to get a week day 'real' ride in.

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
I went for a ride with a buddy of mine who had told me on the way to the trailhead how he got a great deal on some tubes that were in the sale bin. He flatted four or five times during the ride. We were so frustrated by the end of the ride all we could do was laugh.

Note to self: never buy tubes from the sale bin

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
Zark said:
So yesterday my masterplan was to leave work an hour early and go for a ride with my friend Curt, it seemed cursed from the start

Problem#1 Asshat client doesn't give me the spreadsheet to make their map until 15 minutes before I'm supposed to leave.:redhot: I manage to geocode the listings and make the map and I'm onlt 15 miuntes past the planned time.

Problem#2 "Hey, my freewheel just slipped!" said Curt. Uh oh! It happened again, then there was no more engagement and a freewheel in both directions...American Classic hub, 3 years old, 220lb rider, I guess it was bound to happen.

Problem#3 Flats. We turned around for a spirited 'coast' down the fireroad. I'm having fun and airing every stupid bump in the road. Appearantly Specialized thinks its a good idea to put paper thin tires and tubes on the bikes to make 'em light! Personally I prefer air in my tires:redhot:
I of course forgot a spare tube, patched the one I flatted. When we got to the bottom and were chatting I realized my front was flat too:rofl: Too F'n funny.

While the ride was a technical disaster, it was still fun to get a week day 'real' ride in.
so how many tubes did you go through to fix it?:)

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
lovebunny said:
so how many tubes did you go through to fix it?:)
I just patched the one I flatted. Reading comprehension TJ, look into it:rofl:

Trainwreck said:
All the little technicalities just enrichen the experience!
No doubt. The truly hilarious part is the last time I rode this trail (Romero Cyn) my friend Vince snapped his crank arm off about 30 feet from where Curt's freewheel died. I think I need a rabbits foot handy next time I hit up Romero!

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
Zark said:
No doubt. The truly hilarious part is the last time I rode this trail (Romero Cyn) my friend Vince snapped his crank arm off about 30 feet from where Curt's freewheel died. I think I need a rabbits foot handy next time I hit up Romero!
I find that drawing a pentagram and lighting candles often works well too (just don't burn down the forest).

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Zark said:

my boss came in last friday and asked if i cold "just print off" an interactive map that i developed for the web in a 44 by 34 poster for a meeting this week. Sure i say. 4 days later I am finally finishing this thing up. ARG.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
laura said:
my boss came in last friday and asked if i cold "just print off" an interactive map that i developed for the web in a 44 by 34 poster for a meeting this week. Sure i say. 4 days later I am finally finishing this thing up. ARG.
Gahh. I hear ya. Our entire sales staff thinks any map change only takes 15minutes:rofl:

G.I.S. chat time!
I find it handy to have templates for various purposes (web, wall poster) if I'm using data with consistant fields. I don't know if this could apply to what you are doing, but we typically use only a couple data sources that are very standardized

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
sanjuro said:
this is how guys talk to each other. by calling him a princess, I am actually encouraging him with supportive words.

Look how many people supported me on my last difficult ride: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147530
sorry. thought your comments were to laura.
girls are typically a bit more encouraging in positive ways. instead of telling each other to suck it up, it's more like "you can do it!"

i think i have called you a princess on an occasion though.
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146184&page=3&

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
ha - I've had rides like that. It makes me laugh because sometimes it is so hopeless!

At least to top it off you didn't get stuck in a flash flood!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Heidi said:
ha - I've had rides like that. It makes me laugh because sometimes it is so hopeless!

At least to top it off you didn't get stuck in a flash flood!
Or fall over a cliff!

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
amydalayna said:
sorry. thought your comments were to laura.
girls are typically a bit more encouraging in positive ways. instead of telling each other to suck it up, it's more like "you can do it!"

i think i have called you a princess on an occasion though.
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146184&page=3&

i thought he was talking to me too, because i am always telling some whiney ass to suck it up.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Zark said:
Gahh. I hear ya. Our entire sales staff thinks any map change only takes 15minutes:rofl:

G.I.S. chat time!
I find it handy to have templates for various purposes (web, wall poster) if I'm using data with consistant fields. I don't know if this could apply to what you are doing, but we typically use only a couple data sources that are very standardized
my issues are with the labeling. these maps i am making have quite a few points that need to be labeled and since i am new to all of this, i'm not so quick with the annotations and crap. besides the fact that labeling and annotations are not GIS strong points.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
laura said:
my issues are with the labeling. these maps i am making have quite a few points that need to be labeled and since i am new to all of this, i'm not so quick with the annotations and crap. besides the fact that labeling and annotations are not GIS strong points.
Ohh, I know what you mean. Are you using the Mapplex labeling engine? its a lot better than the stock labelling. The templates help you have all your labelling properties ready made, so you aren't re inventing the wheel.

Once you are dealing with annotation all bets are off though:dead: I deal with annotation alot, let me know if you are ever stuck on something.:)

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
That's why riding sober is no good, you get bummed out when things like that happen. It's better to have forgotten that you're actually riding a bike by the time you get to the top of the DH. It makes the trip way gnarlier when you think you flew to that scenic vista, and that the grass is growing cobwebs without the spiders.