Quantcast

Athertons to GT?

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Geeze, first it was a Sunday, then it was the Demo 8, then it was the carbon V-10 and now the fan bois have to buy a GT Fury.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
From Brian Lopes Twitter feed:

Word on the street is GT is adding the Athertons & getting rid of some other riders on the team...
Well, negative rep to you for following Lopes on Twitter.

Besides this tweet, let me guess all of his others.

"Still not wearing a shirt"

"Parking like a douchebag during the race today, screw the handicapped."

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Well, negative rep to you for following Lopes on Twitter.

Besides this tweet, let me guess all of his others.

"Still not wearing a shirt"

"Parking like a douchebag during the race today, screw the handicapped."
fact: brian lopes will never tweet with a shirt on

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
OMFG OMFGFOMGOMFOMGOMGOMFG

AHTERHTONS TO A DIFFRNT COMPANYEWTKJHET?!?!!

but seriously: my prediction is as follows (and I'm going out on a limb here): Gee will continue to be one of the dominating riders no matter what bike he is on, dan will be an absolute monster and continue to rise up in the WC ranks despite a broken F***ing neck (like matti, another beast), and rachel will pick up her game with sabrina next year and both of them will be podium contenders again. No matter who their bike sponsors are.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Athertons to GT, Beaumont to Syndicate, Mick to landscape gardening and BL55 to carry on being a douche

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Strange considering GT didn't seem to concentrate on DH much. Yes they have a team but little marketing and almost no online retailers.
Wonder what commencal will do. They have grown quite a bit during the last 5 years so I doubt they will end up with no wc caliber racers.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Strange considering GT didn't seem to concentrate on DH much. Yes they have a team but little marketing and almost no online retailers.
Have you not seen how many post race vids GT make? How often they're in the vital recaps? GT are trying hard to be number 1 again.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Have you not seen how many post race vids GT make? How often they're in the vital recaps? GT are trying hard to be number 1 again.
They make the same amount as the other companies. Syndicate I think does more. They try but I still don't see nothing outside of team vids on Vital. Not to mention Vital is not the center of the world.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
If I were in athlete management at an American based bike company, I would turn them down as well, given all their snide remarks about America, Americans, and American food...

GT is about as American owned as..... oh wait, they are not.

Not to mention they are a global brand and only sell a percentage of their total volume in the US.

Pretty sure Gee has also been recorded making snide remarks about europe's delicious stale bread and ham sandwiches as an excuse for breakfast, but you must not care about that (nor do his Euro sponsors)... go America, haha :thumb:

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
GT is about as American owned as..... oh wait, they are not.

Not to mention they are a global brand and only sell a percentage of their total volume in the US.

Pretty sure Gee has also been recorded making snide remarks about europe's delicious stale bread and ham sandwiches as an excuse for breakfast, but you must not care about that (nor do his Euro sponsors)... go America, haha :thumb:
Hence, why I said based, not owned...

In terms of their volume, were talking about a gravity team, and not positive, but I am pretty confident that the bulk of their gravity bikes(and probably the rest for that matter) are consumed in the US...

As for comments about bread, no I never heard that and you're right, I really don't care....I was more speaking in general terms about quite a bit of negative remarks I've heard about America/Americans/American ways overall...Rachel and gee in particular just have a bit of a sh:thead attitude I'm not really a fan of, that's all....I'm not really losing any sleep over it, I'm just making snide remarks about them in return

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Hence, why I said based, not owned...

In terms of their volume, were talking about a gravity team, and not positive, but I am pretty confident that the bulk of their gravity bikes(and probably the rest for that matter) are consumed in the US...

As for comments about bread, no I never heard that and you're right, I really don't care....I was more speaking in general terms about quite a bit of negative remarks I've heard about America/Americans/American ways overall...Rachel and gee in particular just have a bit of a sh:thead attitude I'm not really a fan of, that's all....I'm not really losing any sleep over it, I'm just making snide remarks about them in return
They've also spent a good bulk of their time training during winters in the US, I wouldn't say they're anti US by any means.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
They've also spent a good bulk of their time training during winters in the US, I wouldn't say they're anti US by any means.
They're also english and really do have fvcked up teeth, who cares.

We all have our stereotypes (most of them well founded, I make the same jokes about america that they do). They obviously don't have any serious problems with the place because they've practically lived in socal for winters at a time. And that place is an american shlthole if there ever was one. :D

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
They might be anti US, but that doesn't mean they are Anti-california weather for training. ;)

And so what if they are? Its their choice to be fans of whatever country they want.

If them making a few comments on the awful state of american food gets to you, don't watch top gear...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
needles and duncan and danny
??? 1/3 UK based riders or do you mean a 3 person team like Spec, Syndicate and quite a few others.

btw. What's with the whole anti american thing? Half of the forum makes far worse comments.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Are the anti America remarks because of that clip from Gee after trying to get through customs?

I'm not a Gee super fan, the guy can be a bit up himself but I'd be forgetting my media training and spouting some crap after going through the nightmare that is US customs.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Perhaps GT's lack of a strong presence in UK/Europe is exactly why they want the Athertons.

I think the Atherton's will do better next year if they get the half dozen cameras out of every minute of their lives.

I also think they can't wait to get back on Maxxis tires...