Quantcast

athlete?

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
9,889
0
Shut up and Ride
Do you consider yourself an athlete?

If you ride, are you one? or if you ride x amount? or do you also need to race/compete to be an athlete?


A chick I met at a bar called me last night, asked me how I spent my day....I told her it started with 13 of us meeting up and going for a 50 plus mile road bike ride. She was like "Holy crap, really? I couldnt even ride 2 miles...I had no idea you were such an athlete"

I just think its weird when I am called an athlete
 

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
2,577
0
Colorado Springs
I take it as a compliment since I'm the kid who doesn't really do school sports, so if I tell people I did a 45+mile road ride they're like "DAMN DUDE" and then I feel good. :D :p
 

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
7,797
0
Portland, OR
I think I've always considered someone that competes in a particular discipline an athelete. Although I agree that it seems funny to be considered one for just doing something that you love.
 

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
15,459
4
Burlington, Connecticut
Yep you are an athlete douglas - but on to more important things - was said bar chick hot? Does this mean you will be going on a date with her? And [stosh] got any pics? [/stosh]
 

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
6,764
0
Vestal, NY
yea, I do... though much like I consider golfers athletes. Cycling puts more more emphasis on conditioning and strength than it does hand-eye coordination, so it's kind of a one-sided sport, much like golf (golf is much more about coordination than it is conditioning). Cycling and golf and other such sports do not produce well-rounded athletes the same way sports like hockey does.
 

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
5,247
0
Brooklyn
yes i do... but if i only rode i might not

I play everything
I play in 3 basketball leagues, and I played in college
I play in ruff-touch football now and in winter.
Softball in the spring
Mountain bike all year round
and ice hockey whenever we get enough guys together
 

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
6,764
0
Vestal, NY
hooples3 said:
I play in ruff-touch football now and in winter.
Softball in the spring
what is that... like 2-hand-shove football? Not quite full on tackle football, but rougher than 2-hand-touch?
 

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
9,889
0
Shut up and Ride
I'm too old for her - which sucks ... hot, IMO yup - she kinda looks like a young Jennifer Love Hewitt, but Hewitt has something bigger, well "2 things"

pics, yeah right.......... :nope:
 

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
5,247
0
Brooklyn
jacksonpt said:
what is that... like 2-hand-shove football? Not quite full on tackle football, but rougher than 2-hand-touch?
yea.. pretty much... if you come over the middle and catch the ball you are getting shoved.. even though its 2 hands they will knock you down... the smaller you are the worse it is
 

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
9,889
0
Shut up and Ride
jacksonpt said:
yea, I do... though much like I consider golfers athletes. Cycling puts more more emphasis on conditioning and strength than it does hand-eye coordination, so it's kind of a one-sided sport, much like golf (golf is much more about coordination than it is conditioning). Cycling and golf and other such sports do not produce well-rounded athletes the same way sports like hockey does.

good point, not sure if I agree with you on the hand/eye.........tight singletrack (think 27 inch wide bars & trees 28 inches apart) and no hand/eye coordination doesnt go so well.

also the more types of riding you do, that should make you more rounded (i.e. XC & road & DH)
 

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
6,764
0
Vestal, NY
hooples3 said:
yea.. pretty much... if you come over the middle and catch the ball you are getting shoved.. even though its 2 hands they will knock you down... the smaller you are the worse it is
That's cool... kinda the opposite of the pick-up football I played in college. It was full-on tackle football, but if someone came over the middle, you didn't lay them out... just kinda stand them up. It was tackle football with a conscience I guess.
 

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
6,764
0
Vestal, NY
douglas said:
good point, not sure if I agree with you on the hand/eye.........tight singletrack (think 27 inch wide bars & trees 28 inches apart) and no hand/eye coordination doesnt go so well.
I specifically didn't say that cycling has no coordination aspect to it... it's just not as big a part of the sport as conditioning and strenth is.

douglas said:
also the more types of riding you do, that should make you more rounded (i.e. XC & road & DH)
yup
 

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
7,797
0
Portland, OR
douglas said:
I'm too old for her - which sucks ... hot, IMO yup - she kinda looks like a young Jennifer Love Hewitt, but Hewitt has something bigger, well "2 things"

pics, yeah right.......... :nope:
Too old? She's over 18 right? :devil:
 

I Are Baboon

Run, Forrest, Run!
Aug 6, 2001
29,446
2,015
MTB New England
douglas said:
good point, not sure if I agree with you on the hand/eye.........tight singletrack (think 27 inch wide bars & trees 28 inches apart) and no hand/eye coordination doesnt go so well.

also the more types of riding you do, that should make you more rounded (i.e. XC & road & DH)
I find MTB to be mentally draining at times...much more so than other sports I've played. I never finish a hockey game feeling mentally tired, but those night laps at Dalton really test your concentration.
 

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
9,889
0
Shut up and Ride
I Are Baboon said:
I find MTB to be mentally draining at times...much more so than other sports I've played. I never finish a hockey game feeling mentally tired, but those night laps at Dalton really test your concentration.

hell yeah.......bonking big time in the middle of a lap, your body says stop, but you have a team back at camp.....mental strength keeps you moving forward

and when I was lost from mile 55 to 80 doing my 1st century.....that was definitely tough mentally
 

OGRipper

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2004
9,758
182
NORCAL is the hizzle
To me, you don't have to compete to be an athlete, you just have to be athletic - that is, you regularly participate in some athletic activity or another, consider it an important part of who you are, feel like crap when you don't get a workout, etc. I would venture that just about everyone on RM is an athlete to some degree, but the general public is full of people who never do anything active at all and will never be considered athletes.
 
J

JRB

Guest
MMcG said:
what ever happened to Jennifer Love Hewitt? What show was she on? Party of Five or something like that??
She went into porn. She is from Waco, I think.
 
J

JRB

Guest
SkaredShtles said:
Hmmm.......

I'm trying to think.

What TV shows has she been on? I think I saw one many years ago. :think:
Many years ago she was 14, you frikkin' pervert.