Quantcast

Atkins diet

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
I don't even believe in dieting. I believe in eating less (or better) and excercising. I think dieting does more harm than good and the Atkins diet in particular seems harmful because it takes needed nutrients away from your body.

So many people talk about how great the Atkins diet is but 99% know absolutely nothing about nutrition in general.

What you you monkeys think of the Atkins diet? Helpful or harmful? It's doubtless that you can lose weight on the Atkins diet but what is your body really doing? I always learned that your body used both fat and carbs as sources of energy. It would first use simple carbs, then complex carbs, then fat. Carbs are a necessary part of your diet.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Atkins is good, if you want to contract gout... :rolleyes:

Atkins is a diet for lazy people plain and simple, it requires no change of lifestyle and allows people to sit on their couch and never move a muscle. What most people need is a that change of lifestyle. The problem with diets that require no exercise, is that as soon as you stop the diet, you gain the weight back. A balanced diet combined with moderate activity, is always going to be superior in the long run.

I do agree that cutting back on carbs is a good thing though, and for most people that can be done by reducing things like soda.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i have a friend that goes on the adkins diet and gets off of it and gets on and gets off. when she isnt eating carbs she has head aches and is grouchy. she craves awful foods and feels like ****. she works as a landscaper by day, bartender by night. i keep telling her she needs those carbs. she saw me loose weight without any gimics but she wont amke time to go grocery shopping, plan meals and stick to a plan.

i think all diets are terrible because they never teach you anything healthy that can follow over into your after diet life. people need education not a quick fix.

after i lost so much weight people were like oh man how did you do that. when i told them i had a food journal and a calorie book and i ate right and excercised they were dissapointed. if it was easy, over 50% of the country wouldnt be obese.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Well I didn't do the actual "Atkins diet", but last winter I went from 220lbs to 185lbs by eating far fewer carbs and better carbs, and doing about 1.5 hours a day of cardio. For instance instead of a plate of pasta and garlic bread for dinner, I'd have a chicken breast and veggies. Instead of a bagel for breakfast, I'd have a couple oranges or a banana. For lunch instead of a sub I'd have some tunafish or a salad.

Maybe it was mostly the exercise, hell if I know. I made sure I still got enough carbs to keep my energy level up.

The bottom line is, eating no carbs at all is suicide. But we all eat way more carbs than we need.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
VERY IMPORTANT

A nutritionist friend told me that exercising with the amount of carbs you're allowed to have on the Atkins if very dangerous. If you know someone who's on this diet or wants to be on this diet and does some exercise on occassion, tell them to talk to their doctor immediately.

builder666

Monkey
Dec 13, 2002
Construction in Subterfuge
Originally posted by mr_dove
I don't even believe in dieting. I believe in eating less (or better) and excercising. I think dieting does more harm than good and the Atkins diet in particular seems harmful because it takes needed nutrients away from your body.

So many people talk about how great the Atkins diet is but 99% know absolutely nothing about nutrition in general.

What you you monkeys think of the Atkins diet? Helpful or harmful? It's doubtless that you can lose weight on the Atkins diet but what is your body really doing? I always learned that your body used both fat and carbs as sources of energy. It would first use simple carbs, then complex carbs, then fat. Carbs are a necessary part of your diet.
Atkins was a fool, and now he's dead... but really his diet excludes carb because he said the turn to fat in short. The carbs that are bad are all processed WHITE flours which are bad. To much protein is also bad because your liver cannot not process it efficiently. Carbs such as whole grain like wild rice or brown rice are higher in protein and fiber which is also good for you digestive system. I eat about 60% protein, 40% good carbs, and once in a while I eat a starch.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by Echo
Well I didn't do the actual "Atkins diet", but last winter I went from 220lbs to 185lbs by eating far fewer carbs and better carbs, and doing about 1.5 hours a day of cardio. For instance instead of a plate of pasta and garlic bread for dinner, I'd have a chicken breast and veggies. Instead of a bagel for breakfast, I'd have a couple oranges or a banana. For lunch instead of a sub I'd have some tunafish or a salad.

Maybe it was mostly the exercise, hell if I know. I made sure I still got enough carbs to keep my energy level up.

The bottom line is, eating no carbs at all is suicide. But we all eat way more carbs than we need.
I sort of did what you did, Echo. I cut way back on the simple carbs, such as white bread and sugar, and replaced them with sweet potatoes, brown rice, and green veggies. I also stopped eating carbs after 3:00 PM, because unused carbs turn into fat deposits. I have lost 20 lbs this year between the diet change and exercising five times a week.

I do not like the Atkins theory. People like us (cyclists) NEED CARBS.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
I sort of did what you did, Echo. I cut way back on the simple carbs, such as white bread and sugar, and replaced them with sweet potatoes, brown rice, and green veggies. I also stopped eating carbs after 3:00 PM, because unused carbs turn into fat deposits. I have lost 20 lbs this year between the diet change and exercising five times a week.

I do not like the Atkins theory. People like us (cyclists) NEED CARBS.
Maybe you and I should invent the "Echo Baboon Diet". Oh wait, it requires exercise, it would never sell :D

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I tried it a couple of months ago and after 3 days I was going to hit someone for a slice of bread!

I agree with what some of the other monkey's have said, just eat the better carb's for you. I pretty much don't eat any white carbs - no white rice, white bread, potatoes......

Most important: everything in moderation.:)

Mocha

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver Island
Originally posted by builder666
Atkins was a fool, and now he's dead...

For the record, he died from slipping on a patch of ice and hitting his head, at the age of 72.

Don't want anyone to think he died from adhering to his own diet.

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
Originally posted by Mocha
For the record, he died from slipping on a patch of ice and hitting his head, at the age of 72.

Don't want anyone to think he died from adhering to his own diet.
yeah, he may have been a fool but he was probably smart enough to stay off his own diet.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Tenchiro
Would you go on a diet invented by someone who is still fat?
No doubt - I saw DR Phil on TV preaching about weight loss and I thinks to myself... you are still fat so shut up and check back in when you are about 180 or so...

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
Wait how the hell does your brain get energy from Atkins diet ? Youre brain can only metabolize glucose as its source of energy, and plus your glycogen will be depleted usually in 24 hours unless you fill it up with carb.

Unless protein or fat miraculously turns in to carb, which i dont think is possible, right ?

G-Hoch

Chimp
Jan 27, 2003
Looks like you would be interested in a "diet" that promotes proper nutrition. That would be "The Zone Diet". You can get the books at discount book stores and you can find out more at drsears.com Gain muscle, lose fat, increased endurance, longer life, whaterver you want to accomplish.

Originally posted by G-Hoch
Looks like you would be interested in a "diet" that promotes proper nutrition. That would be "The Zone Diet". You can get the books at discount book stores and you can find out more at drsears.com Gain muscle, lose fat, increased endurance, longer life, whaterver you want to accomplish.
I don't trust any "diet" that sells you their own food.

water
lean protein
healthy fats
carbs (whole wheat except for during physical acitivty)
exercise

it ain't no secret.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by Tenchiro
Atkins is good, if you want to contract gout... :rolleyes:

Atkins is a diet for lazy people plain and simple, it requires no change of lifestyle and allows people to sit on their couch and never move a muscle. What most people need is a that change of lifestyle. The problem with diets that require no exercise, is that as soon as you stop the diet, you gain the weight back. A balanced diet combined with moderate activity, is always going to be superior in the long run.

I do agree that cutting back on carbs is a good thing though, and for most people that can be done by reducing things like soda.
exactly...also the Atkins plan puts a ton of stress on your liver and kidneys....D

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk
I don't trust any "diet" that sells you their own food.

water
lean protein
healthy fats
carbs (whole wheat except for during physical acitivty)
exercise

it ain't no secret.
that's it right there.

GET OFF YOUR LAZY ASS!!!!! if you want to burn fat, that is.

don't eat more than you can burn.

stop eating crappy food.

problem is, people want something NOW. staying fit or not fat is a lifetime lifestyle. it's not a 3 month or whatever deal.

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
I think the Atkins diet is actually only supposed to be done for not more than a few months. Even Doctors acknowledge that it's not healthy to do for very long.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
I must admit, I fell into the Atkin's Diet trap. Except, I didn't eat a lot of fatty protien like it says you can. Bacon, sausage, fatty meat, cream, butter... I pretty much kept away from all of that while I did it.

I ate fish and chicken, very lean beef, though I did eat lots of cheese (LOVE cheese!) I excersized as well, and I lost about 15 lbs. 'Course as soon as I stopped, I started to gain it back.

towelie

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Santa Barbara county
Say it with me: "MODARATION"

Yes...you can lose weight with the atkins diet, but, like many other diets, it isn't sustainable. Also, there can be a lot of other negative health side effects not related to weight. Try
-kidney problems
-liver problems
-irriatiablity
-problems associated with too much cholestoreal, saturated fat, and transfats like heart disease
-Social problems of being such a limited and picky eater

The only thing I think it is good for is this: people who need to lose a lot of weight can use it for no more than 2 or 3 weeks to get a head start.

Want to be healthy? Well, there are a few things you can reduce or eliminate from your diet that will help a lot!
-processed sugars and most simple carbs. This includes pop, candy, junk foods, white breads, bakery treats, etc. Now, it is best to eliminate these, but if your weight is OK and if you get plenty of exercise these are OK IN MODERATION. Fruits have simple carbs too, but the vitamins and fiber in them mean they are still good for you. You can still gain weight on fruit if you gorge yourself on it thogh.

-Saturated fats: It is OK to pretty much eliminate these. I still have them in moderation, like the occasional steak or something.

-transfats: These are the "partially hydrogenated oils" that are in about 3/4 the processed foods in your local gorcery store. These fats ARE NOT FOUND IN NATURE and it is OK- no, advisable- to completely eliminate them from your diet. It was hard it first, but I'm proud to say that I've all but eliminated these from my diet. These can be very hard on your heart.

Now, some things that people think are bad are actually OK. Unsaturated fats, such as those found in nuts and olive oil and things like that are good for you. They are still high calorie, but they don't have the other negative consequences of the other fats. Plus they make you feel full and make food taste better, so these are good to include in your diet

A little cholestral is OK too, but no more than say one egg a day.

Complex carbs are great. Think whole grains. When you get bread, get the dark whole wheat stuff (with not hydrogenated oils either).

Other than that, make sure you don't take in more calories than you burn.

stumpy

Chimp
Oct 29, 2003
Atlanta
Originally posted by Babar
Wait how the hell does your brain get energy from Atkins diet ? Youre brain can only metabolize glucose as its source of energy, and plus your glycogen will be depleted usually in 24 hours unless you fill it up with carb.

Unless protein or fat miraculously turns in to carb, which i dont think is possible, right ?
You are 100% correct, your brain needs glucose to function. Your body can get glucose from fat stores and this is the premise of how the atkins diet works. WHen you starve your body of carbs, you will need to find energy aka glucose from somewhere. Using the gluconeogenisis pathway, you body can break down fat stores and use them for glucose. This is not always a good idea though. One reason is because it takes a lot of ATP (a different kind of energy) to break the fat stores down.

stumpy

Chimp
Oct 29, 2003
Atlanta
Originally posted by mr_dove
I think the Atkins diet is actually only supposed to be done for not more than a few months. Even Doctors acknowledge that it's not healthy to do for very long.

Another problem is that once you start the Atkins diet, it becomes a lifestyle change and you can never stop. If you do, you will gain the weigh back extremely fast and gain more back than you had when you started. The reason for this is because the atkins dieter has been starving their body'e cells of carbs so the cells begin to develop extra receptors so that when some carb come floating by, they will take in all they can. So, if you follow the atkins diet for a while and then eat carbs again those starving cells will take in all the carbs they can and you will gain the weight back so fast it will make your head spin.

stumpy

Chimp
Oct 29, 2003
Atlanta
As I guess you have deduced, I am NOT an Atkins fan. I am not a fan of any diet to be honest. I don't think there should be anything as "bad" foods. There is ONE way to lose weight, take in less calories than you burn. It is that simple. Heck...I should write a book. :)

In other words, if your goal is weight loss and you really want that hot fudge sunday, go ahead and eat it but put more time into the saddle to compensate for the extra calories you just ate.

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
I agree wholeheartedly about your ideas on dieting. I think we have two problems though. The first is the American (or maybe it's not just us) mindset. We want immediate results and we don't want to work for them. The second is that we don't want to change our lifestyle but losing weight requires at least 2 lifestyle changes (eating less/better and exercising).

We also have the problem that the fast food and junk food industries spend billions of dollars in advertising to make sure what we don't stop eating all these foods that keep us fat or make us fatter.

I'm sure there are some books out there detailing the causes of the obesity epidemic in our country. I'm sure america's TV addiction doesn't help either.

zibbler

Monkey
Okay, I'll post my 0.02 FWIW. If you really look at it, obesity has become epidemic in this country since the whole low fat, high carb dogma was put into place. Any extreme is not good for you too much fat is not good, and too many carbs are not good either. It's all about moderation. Atkins was on the right track, albiet a little extreme. But he's right. Too many carbs will definitely make you fat.... especially refined, processed junky carbs. Think about it for a minute. What do farmers use to fatten their animals. Yup. Carbs! They are fed grains to fatten them up. Cows and pigs don't naturally eat grains. So what's the answer? A little of both. Cut your carbs back. Don't eat processed or refined carbs. Eat lean meats, and don't eat more calories than your body needs for the day. Pretty simple really. I think the Zone comes closest to this aproach, but even that gets a little complicated. Just use common sense folks.

I've lost 12 lbs. of fat and gained about 10 lbs. of muscle since cutting out junk carbs, keeping my carbs at a reasonable level, and working out on a regular basis.

2WheelsGood

Chimp
Oct 9, 2003
San Diego
Originally posted by stumpy
You are 100% correct, your brain needs glucose to function.
Wrong. Your brain can use ketone bodies for fuel. And even if it couldn't, the body can make the glucose it needs from protein. Which, of course, brings us to your next boo boo...

Your body can get glucose from fat stores
Wrong. Your body can metabolize protein into glucose, but it can not make fats into glucose. Your body can and does metabolize fat for fuel, but it most certainly does not first turn it into glucose.

and this is the premise of how the atkins diet works.
Wrong. The premise behind the atkins diet is that when the body is starved of carbs, it produces very little insulin. The absence of insulin makes it very difficult for the body to store additional body fat. So the body tends to use its own fat stores for fuel.

I'm not "for" the Atkins approach, but I am dead set against people who casually spread misinformation.

stumpy

Chimp
Oct 29, 2003
Atlanta
I hate to have to do this but:

No carbs = no glycolysis. Glycoysis is the normal way the body metabolises nutrients into engergy aka glucose. When you don't eat carbs, this forces your body into chronic, permanent gluconeogenisis. Gluconeogenisis isn't a bad thing but being in a permanent state of it isn't the best idea.
So you are correct, you can make energy from other sources. Gluconeogenisis does allow you to make energy from protiens and fats to use as an alternative fuel source. Ketones is one of those alternative fuel sources but ketosis lowers the blood pH and puts a lot of strain on tissues that process such as kidneys, liver, etc.

Here's the difference; glycolysis uses 2 ATP (a form of energy) and makes 4 ATP therefore glycolosis yields 2 ATP. Gluconeogenisis USES 4 ATP AND 2 GTP and yeilds nothing. Your body has to go thru catabolism at this point to make ATP but I will spare those details. Also, when the body is in a state of gluconeogenisis, gluconeogenic enzymes are expressed and glycolic enzymes are supressed. Since this is not a natural state for the body, it takes a while to train the body to supress the glycolic enzymes. However, when carbs are reintroduced into the diet, the glycolic enzymes are immediatly turned back on and all the carb are sucked in which causes the dieter to gain back the weight plus some. (I guess this is the reason Atkins reintroduces carbs very slowly. The man was smart, he knew how metabolism works. ) If the dieter wants to get back to the gluconeogenic state, then it will take time.

In other words,yes, the atkins diet works but it is really screwing with metabolism which is never a good idea.

Also carbs are not bad. Carbs are the easiest way for the body to produce ATP. However, we only need so much ATP and once we have enough, the overage starts the process for building fat. In other words, carbs don't make us fat, eating too many carbs make us fat.

My thought: I am tired of people looking for the quick fix for everything. Some things in life take time and need to be earned.

People don't gain the weight over night so they shouldn't expect to loose it overnight.

2WheelsGood

Chimp
Oct 9, 2003
San Diego
I hate to have to do this but:
You hate to have to do what? You didn't defend any of the three giant chunks of misinformation you posted. So apparently you realize you're wrong. That's a good start. But you could have stopped there.

Here's the difference; glycolysis uses 2 ATP blah blah blah
I'm not sure about anyone else here, but I really don't need a refresher of high school biology. I'm very aware of how the body works. And none of that has anything to do with the fact that you recklessly used misinformation in an attempt to prove your point.

The reason it's so hard for people to pick out the good from the bad when it comes to proper diet is that 99% of what we read and hear about the subject is regurgitated factoids and half-truths from people who are more interested in sounding right that being right. Do you want to be one of those people?

stumpy

Chimp
Oct 29, 2003
Atlanta
All the info I posted is accuate and I will be glad to provide references if needed. Also, the only reason for the "biology lesson" is because you challenged me and I had to stand up to the challenge. :) I just thougt I should let others know how the metabolics of the Atkins diets work so they can decide for themselves if it is right for them or not.

But, who cares about all of this anyway. It's not worth getting so upset over. Let's just ride our bikes!!!! :D

2WheelsGood

Chimp
Oct 9, 2003
San Diego
All the info I posted is accuate and I will be glad to provide references if needed.
Great. I'll wait patiently for you to provide some references that show that the body turns fat into glucose before it uses it for energy. I'll say it again, the body can make glucose from protein, but it can not, will not, and does not make glucose from fat. I'll wait, but I won't hold my breath.

But, who cares about all of this anyway.
I care because I'm a student studying nutrition, and I'm quite tired of the horrifying amount of misinformation floating around. I'm glad to see you don't care, but since you don't, do me a favor and stop posting inaccuracies.