Quantcast

Atlas FR cranks creaking like crazy

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
So I bent my FSAs, replaced with used atlas FR from some kid on pinkbike.

Problem is: crazy creaking. I've tried the cranks with the Atlas BB as well as the megaexo BB from the FSA creaking both ways. I know it's not the headset because the bent FSAs don't creak.

Everything seems tight -- no play.

I understand the interface on raceface cranks is prone to getting flogged. What are the symptoms of this happening? Am I screwed here? Do I need to start looking into how to try to get my money back from the kid?

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
My Respond crank creaks sometimes. I figurred out it's the bolt on the drive side. I just take it out and grease the threads and retightens it. Then 99% of the creaking is gone for a week or so.

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
Take everything connected to the crank off and re-grease them. Could be the bearing preload bolt (the bolt staike is referring to), the pedal threads, the BB threads, or even something as small as the chainring bolts. Hell, even though spindles don't usually need them, throw some grease on it as well.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
So I bent my FSAs, replaced with used atlas FR from some kid on pinkbike.

Problem is: crazy creaking. I've tried the cranks with the Atlas BB as well as the megaexo BB from the FSA creaking both ways. I know it's not the headset because the bent FSAs don't creak.

Everything seems tight -- no play.

I understand the interface on raceface cranks is prone to getting flogged. What are the symptoms of this happening? Am I screwed here? Do I need to start looking into how to try to get my money back from the kid?
In my experience the interface wears out over time particularly when you ride them hard &/or take them on & off your bike regularly. (This is one reason I won't go back to this system). If they slide fully on to the spindle easily and don't move any further in with the bolt, then they may be done and the creaking/movement will get worse.

As other have said, try greasing everything to remove those as factors.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
omg. I took apart EVERYTHING trying to find this creak. Guess what it was?

The rear axle.
Funny how it always sounds like it's the BB, but it never is, eh?

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
What bike are you running?
It's a 6 point. I just didn't have the QR thang quite tight enough and it was all kinds of creaky. Triflow sorted it right out

And yes, I did install and remove the cranks about 7 or 8 times. If they start loosening up, I will experience rage.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Bearing retaining compound can help later on if they do stuff up, used it on a couple of sets of clapped out ISIS cranks and it worked for a while.