Quantcast

Atmosphere

J

JRB

Yes - and I agree that global warming is becoming a problem. We, far too often, neglect our atomosphere.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i thought this was gonna be about the Joy Divison song:
Walk in silence,
Don’t walk away, in silence.
See the danger,
Always danger,
Endless talking,
Life rebuilding,
Don’t walk away.

Walk in silence,
Don’t turn away, in silence.
Your confusion,
My illusion,
Worn like a mask of self-hate,
Confronts and then dies.
Don’t walk away.

People like you find it easy,
Naked to see,
Walking on air.
Hunting by the rivers,
Through the streets,
Every corner abandoned too soon,
Set down with due care.
Don’t walk away in silence,
Don’t walk away.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
They've got a couple cool songs, but I think they are over hyped by kids who want to seem cool and listen to "underground" hip hop.

Just about no one knows about anything besides Seven's Travels, at least from my experiences. I made the mistake of buying Overcast!, and it sucks. Soooo many songs have a hideous chorus chanted over and over.

I've been way more into 2pac lately. Although I still really like "Always Coming Back Home to You", "The Lady with the Tattoed Hands", and mostly, "Anything is Everything".

But Iron Maiden is blasting right now, with The Taste of Blood cued next, and Mago de Oz after that. There is always time for metal.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I'm a huge fan of Atmosphere. Slug is a good lyrisist (sp?) and Ant is good on the board.

Price you should checkout Murs and Slug Felt and Felt 2.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
As cool as it is to like underground music, there's still nothing wrong with enjoying popular stuff. Something doesn't have to be underground to be good. Heck, NickelCreek is damn popular, and they kill it!

I'm having a hard time getting sick of Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory album, or the Thug Life album.

Turd Ferguson

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Burbank
mobius said:
I'm a huge fan of Atmosphere. Slug is a good lyrisist (sp?) and Ant is good on the board.

Price you should checkout Murs and Slug Felt and Felt 2.

You like that?...you should check P.O.S.

btw, "god loves ugly" is fairly spectacular.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
nope...

A few years ago, I was confronted (literally) by a house-mate's young friend. They had apparently spent the better part of an our polishing off beer & liquor... she was probably pushing 19 years old & was as Sacramento-suburbanite as it gets. As I walked from my room to the kitchen trying to quietly pass by the teenie-bopper gathering in the living room... I didn't want to disrupt the atmosphere album sing-along pre-party that had been carrying on. As I entered the room, my housemate said,"he's not going to the concert with us because he too cool for Atmosphere."

At that moment, the friend jumped up, blocked my way & asked me why I wasn't going to the Atmosphere concert with them. I very nicely said, "I don't know that much about their music & the little I heard really didn't really appeal to me." She replied, oh yeeaah?? Well, don't you listen to "reaall hip-hop???" Didn't dignify that with an answer, instead giving her a blank stare. "Yeaaah? Well who do you like??" she said.

Trying to be nice, I responded, "Well, right now, I've been listening to a lot of Mos Def and Blackalicious"

She replied? Who's that?!

I said, you should look them up... and continued past her into the kitchen.

- -

That's my only interaction with Atmosphere fans - heh.

For what it's worth, what I've heard of them sounds decent. The guy can rhyme and the production is good... just doesn't appeal to me.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Yeah, I like them OK, but Sage Francis is definetly my favorite. "Makeshift Patriot" is one of my favorite rap songs of all time.

Turd Ferguson

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Burbank
dump said:
Trying to be nice, I responded, "Well, right now, I've been listening to a lot of Mos Def and Blackalicious"

From the Bay area? Blackalicious...good, very good.

How about Gift of Gab or Heiroglyphics?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Turd Ferguson said:
From the Bay area? Blackalicious...good, very good.

How about Gift of Gab or Heiroglyphics?
Yup, and so were they?!! (well, if you count sac to be the bay... i hear K-Fed is trying to claim the bay - someone needs to tell the fool that Fresno is not bay area...)

But anyway, yes.. Gift of Gab is part of Blackalicious... Heiro's nice too.

Gift of Gab's 4th Dimensional Rocket Ships Going Up is one of my favorite albums in recent years.

Btw, check out the Living Legends... their newest album is called "Classic" ... it's solid.

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
I enjoy atmosphere, but I pretty much only listen to his "you cant imagine how much fun were having" album, I find his other albums to be meh

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
ThePriceSeliger said:
I have four of their CD's, and loving them all. Seven Travels is the most popular, but "You can't imagine how much fun we are having" is the best in my mind at the moment.
And the kid with the head injuries hits the nail on the head.
This disc is in heavy rotation right now in my car.

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
A.P said:
I enjoy atmosphere, but I pretty much only listen to his "you cant imagine how much fun were having" album, I find his other albums to be meh
I was worried no one was going to mention the new album very good stuff. But I dont think its fair to talk about underground hip hop without at least mentioning Saul Williams.

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
I just picked up Lyrics Born "Same Sh*t Different Day" after hearing them on KEXP(local listener supported station). Sounds pretty good. They even have a small bit from KRS-1. Maybe I've lost touch but I haven't heard from him since the 80's.

Turd Ferguson

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Burbank
Bullitrider said:
I just picked up Lyrics Born "Same Sh*t Different Day" after hearing them on KEXP(local listener supported station). Sounds pretty good. They even have a small bit from KRS-1. Maybe I've lost touch but I haven't heard from him since the 80's.
If you like that, check out " ...later that day". LB's first solo. It puts "SSDD" to shame.

Turd Ferguson

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Burbank
dump said:
Yup, and so were they?!! (well, if you count sac to be the bay... i hear K-Fed is trying to claim the bay - someone needs to tell the fool that Fresno is not bay area...)

But anyway, yes.. Gift of Gab is part of Blackalicious... Heiro's nice too.

Gift of Gab's 4th Dimensional Rocket Ships Going Up is one of my favorite albums in recent years.

Btw, check out the Living Legends... their newest album is called "Classic" ... it's solid.

4th Dimension is definitely on full rotation. I'll have to check Living Legends.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
narlus said:
dump, what's yr take on the anticon crew?
Honestly I don't know a ton about the group as a whole. I'm more familiar with individual works of some of the members.

Do you have anyone particular in mind? Who do you consider "anticon?" I've heard several different interpretations.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Turd Ferguson said:
If you like that, check out " ...later that day". LB's first solo. It puts "SSDD" to shame.
Yeah, I was just about to say... I didn't really like SSDD... sounded more like a soul/funk album ... and I prefer LB's rhymes to his singing.

vallEbikes

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
amherst mass
slug is good, but his stuff is all very similar. i really like lucy ford, and i here that the felt albums are really good.

he has really started to blow up recently, but has not sold out.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
sell out. all his previous albums were awesome but once god loves ugly got big, then sevens travels and then the new piece of crap he calls hip hop sucks ass. slug still kicks it well in felt no doubt but murs is way sicker

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
dexter said:
sell out. all his previous albums were awesome but once god loves ugly got big, then sevens travels and then the new piece of crap he calls hip hop sucks ass. slug still kicks it well in felt no doubt but murs is way sicker
I dont think he has sold out at all, can you really blame someone for expanding themselves beyond the same bass snare bass bass snare beat. You do it for how ever many years and tell me the same thing still interests you. People too often confuse progression beyond ones original genre for selling out.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
dump said:
Honestly I don't know a ton about the group as a whole. I'm more familiar with individual works of some of the members.

Do you have anyone particular in mind? Who do you consider "anticon?" I've heard several different interpretations.
i've mainly been on the cLOUDDEAD aspect of anticon (who i guess would be comprised of dose one, odd nosdam, and why?, among others i'm sure), via the british band Hood. so i am by no means well-versed in the anticon stuff, but i've heard a bit and like it.