Quantcast

Atomlab GI or Pimp2 owners?

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Hey, I'm looking at getting an Atomlab hardtail for a build but I'm not sure on peoples thoughts on the bikes. I'm looking for a single speed bike with 100-110mm up front and 26" wheels. I'd be using the bike for urban and DJ riding. Most for just getting around and goofing around the the trails, for when I dont want to haul my DH bike around.

My planned parts list (not purchased)
-Pike or Argyle fork
-Singletrack or MTX rims
-Atomlab or Sunline Bars and stem (undertermined what ones)
-SDG freestyle saddle and I-beam post
-FSA Single speed crank
-Kenda K-rads

So can anyone help me in the right direction for a frame? Like I said I'm looking at atomlab GI or Pimp2 frames because I get them cheap...let me know your thoughts or other options around $250-300.

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
Hey, I'm looking at getting an Atomlab hardtail for a build but I'm not sure on peoples thoughts on the bikes. I'm looking for a single speed bike with 100-110mm up front and 26" wheels. I'd be using the bike for urban and DJ riding. Most for just getting around and goofing around the the trails, for when I dont want to haul my DH bike around.

My planned parts list (not purchased)
-Pike or Argyle fork
-Singletrack or MTX rims
-Atomlab or Sunline Bars and stem (undertermined what ones)
-SDG freestyle saddle and I-beam post
-FSA Single speed crank
-Kenda K-rads

So can anyone help me in the right direction for a frame? Like I said I'm looking at atomlab GI or Pimp2 frames because I get them cheap...let me know your thoughts or other options around $250-300.
well, i ride a trail pimp frame which has the same Geo as both of those frames(i believe) just with different tubing...great choice on picking one of these. if you want it to be SS, then go with the pimp2 so you get the sliding dropouts. for some reason the GI comes with Vertical drops..sounds like a nice build, i would suggest not getting the Single Tracks or the MTX's since they are overpriced and much better rims can be had for the money such as all of atomlab's rim offerings. if you can get a killer deal on either of those rims, then get the MTX's.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
It so happens to be Im sponsored by Sun-ringle for DH...along with every other company I listed for my parts list except the forks and cranks.

but thanks, thats the kinda imput I was looking for.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i'd say sunline bars and stem would be best, argyle fork, and mtx wheels. i agree that horizontal drops are the way to go, but for the money, you could also see about getting a soul cycles roscoe or a transition top. the top is a little more expensive i think, but there is bound to be a deal lurking around somewhere. i've got mtxs from my sponsorship and they are fantastic. sun lists them as being a lighter overall wheelset than the singletracks, which i doubt, but they are much stronger. the reason i vote for the argyle fork is that it will be a stronger fork than the pike, but you have to forget about changing fork length on the fly. still, it is cheaper, stronger and comes in the mint color, but it is heavier.

hacksaw

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
775 ,Northern Nevada
Hey yo!
i ride for Atomlab and I can tell you this the frames are super strong with spot on geometry. The Pimp 2 is probably what you will want horz. drop out easy to set up with a single speed and will come with the welded brake mount I have one and it is shorter rear end and BURLY with a capital B. Any short trave fork works good on them so feel free to put on what you think will be necessary . And when it is built Post some pic's so we can all drool over it...
"Hacksaw"

snaky69

Monkey
Feb 10, 2007
Quebec, Canada
If you have to ride sun then MTX's is the way to go unless you are very smooth, nonetheless MTX's are a very weak rim IMO, atomlab's offerings are much better.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
in reference to snaky69's thoughts about the mtx, i have seen some of their rims fail too, but the wheels were all ones that weren't properly tensioned and the person basically threw them on and never touched them for 2 years. they are a softer metal than mavics, so they tend to bend rather than crack, which is very good for racers in particular, but everyone else at the same time. not to be hating on sun, but from my experience, their wheelbuilders are pretty bad. i got my wheels and they were very loosely tensioned, but i decided to ride them anyways. everything is still in one piece, but some of the spokes are much looser than others. be sure to have a good wheel guy look at yours when you get them, but otherwise, you should be very happy.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Heres mine!
hmm we seem to have simliar taste. I like the build I have to say. And thanks for the tips guys, I'm thinking ahead of myself for this bike as I will likely be getting an SLR camera which will suck away my fund till summer jobs come along.

Anyhow, Ill be sure to post pics...and keep the build ideas coming, I like them. Any chance anyone would know a good white fork? I was thinking it would be sick to have the black pimp2 with a white fork and other white components.

Thanks...

jbrookeiv

Chimp
Apr 8, 2008
Atomlab makes their own forks now, they come in both white and black. 60mm of travel, 20mm thru axle, and only 250 bucks.