Quantcast

Atomlab or outlaw wheels?

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
anyone?
looking at the new pimplite rims with pimp hubs.
or the outlaws.
any opinions? supported by experience or otherwise?

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I built up a White trash trailorpark with mostly leftover parts. The wheels are nearing the end of their useful life, and I know that there are a ton of similar questions on "which hub" etc. I was just checking the new offerings from Atomlab and the new Outlaws.

Diggin the new colors out by Azonic, props to them for changing it up! Just wondering performance wise which one to get.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
I ran some outlaws on my DH hardtail and loved em. Beat them hella hard and never had to true em. Thanks for mentioning their new colors, didn't know that the switched them up. I'm gonna rebuild a new DH rig and will probably get me another outlaw wheel set. Now I can't decide what color to rock, the blue is pimpin.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
the new Atomlab Pimplite hubs are nicer then the Pimp hubs. I have been riding Atomlab Pimplites on pimp hubs for awhile with no complaints. I just switched the rims on my Commencal Absolut 4x over to the new Superlight rims with ti spokes and Pimplite hubs. Really nice wheelset.
I also have Outlaws. They are a machine built wheel instead of handbuilt like the Atomlabs. My white set of Outlaws were fine but my black ones which are newer the rear wheel came totally dished wrong and the nipples are garbage.
I have an older set of Pimp 24s 36h laced to Profile bmx hubs and they have been holding up for years and are curently on my DOB Molosse.
I also had an older Atomlab Aircorp 24" 36h on my 03 Specialized Bighit and that wheel took a serious beating.
Right now I have a set of 09 Pimplite rims that haven't even been used. They are bolt-on/qr rear and 20mm front. Black rims,white spokes,red torque nipples. They were mounted on my Double then I picked up a new set of Hope Pro2s laced to 721s, so I swapped them out.
I am looking to sell the Pimplites if you are interested.

JGill

Monkey
Jul 7, 2008
Norman, OK
Been on the same set of P-Lites for over a year. They have been laced to two sets of hubs and are still going strong. I ride mostly street and they have been through quite a bit. However, they have never been laced to atomlab hubs. Currently running a profile ss and a Hope Pro 2 up front. Best performing and toughest wheelset I have ever ridden, hands down. Some guys I ride with swear by the Outlaws so it's hard to go wtong with either one... I guess it comes down to price and color options. but my vote is Atomlab

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
This is a tough decision because both are great. Maybe you need to build up gold atomlabs laced to sweet hubs.
the new Pimplite front hub is one of the lighest hubs out right now. Rear hub if you want ss then a Hope Pro2 ss is nice but change the bolts. Cassette rear hub Hadley, King, I-9 if you have the money. On a tighter budget, Stay away from the regular cassette Hope pro2, over rated mediocre hub, very soft alum cassette body only 24pt engagement. In that case I would go with the Pimplite rear hub

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
I've had a p-lite in the back on my park/dj bike for a few months now. had some pretty gnarly cases on coping at the park, and over-rotated spins. still perfectly true.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
the new Pimplite front hub is one of the lighest hubs out right now. Rear hub if you want ss then a Hope Pro2 ss is nice but change the bolts. Cassette rear hub Hadley, King, I-9 if you have the money. On a tighter budget, Stay away from the regular cassette Hope pro2, over rated mediocre hub, very soft alum cassette body only 24pt engagement. In that case I would go with the Pimplite rear hub
Wow, I just got a hope pro 2 cassette hub. Thanks.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Wow, I just got a hope pro 2 cassette hub. Thanks.
Sorry, you can get a steel cassette body but it is about $80. The Hope pro 2 cassette hub is on the same level to me as a Transition rear hub.
It is over rated and over priced. only good thing is you can convert it to any config. 10mm thru, 12mm thru, 10mm bolt-on, qr but that is where it ends.
If you use it as a 10mm thru axle then use a Hadley axle or a DT Swiss 10mm DT Swiss RWS Skewers
Made in Switzerland by DTSwiss
Ratcheting system tightens skewers with turns rather than cam 10mm rear thru bolt hubs

Feb 4, 2010
Orem, Utah
has anybody ordered from this site before? Are they legit? Because the prices seem really low.
I actually work for them :) And yes we are totally legit. You can call in and ask us. A lot of items you buy from AtomLab ships from our Utah warehouse. The prices are stellar because they are previous years product. Thanks greengreer for the mention!

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC
I actually work for them :) And yes we are totally legit. You can call in and ask us. A lot of items you buy from AtomLab ships from our Utah warehouse. The prices are stellar because they are previous years product. Thanks greengreer for the mention!
I stumbled upon your website a couple weeks ago and almost couldn't believe it myself. Ordered a hub and axle adapter from you guys, supposed to be here monday. I'm stoked. So far it's been a breeze to deal with you guys!