Quantcast

Atomlab Pimplite wheels - your impression plz

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I'm considering the Pimplite wheels as my next hoops. Any thoughts on them would be appreciated.
How are the rims in regard to stiffness and denting?
How are the hubs in regard to engagement?
How are they hubs in regard to ease of service?
Anything else to consider about them?

I'm a 195lb rider when suited up, and I get to the chair-lift mountains a few times a year, and ride the SoCal gnar, though not the uber-gnar of SB. The wheels will be going on my Nicolai UFO ST (12mm by 135mm rear) as a replacement for my Azonic Outlaws (the rear hub has become a bit grindy, and I've been on them for a few years, so I'm going to put them on the bench as a backup set).

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
I am also keen to hear about the hubs.

The Pimplites looks pretty sweet in pictures (never seen them in the metal) and they are light. Local distributor rates them (well d'uh) but looking for another independant opinion.

Looking to build onto Flow rims, should be a sub 1900 gram wheelset (ex cassette).

gonefirefightin

free wieners
they lasted about as long as my 729's but seemed to get some nipple pull after a while.

ran my rear flat on a whole run (just because I had others hanging in the trailer) and didnt even have to true it.

I was impressed. if I didnt have a good deal on mavics I would def run them for the long hual build recipe.

def needs straight guage 2.0 spokes though

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I was tempted for a minute, but just looked up the specs- pinned rim, 6061, heavier than a 721. I'm thinking 721 would be bettter.

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
I have run the same Pimplite rims for 3 seasons.
they are mint! the paint is chipped up ,but thats the only problem ,I have even replaced the front hub onto the same ol rim and its still mint. hardly had to true them. no dents.

2 NZ full year round riding seasons and one whistler/northvan season.

now Im spec'n my TR450 out with full pimplite wheels.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Wll fvck it all, I just ordered a custom set of rollers from CRC. These were my dream ones, but the parts for the custom build had been hard to find and/or out of stock. Like magic the stuff showed up as in-stock today at CRC, even though it hadn't been there just a few days ago.

Hope II hubs in red
Pink Camo MTX hoops
Silver DT Swiss DB spokes
Red Alloy nipples

They should look gawd awful, and I got them for just a touch over $400 USD.

Fantastic!

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Wll fvck it all, I just ordered a custom set of rollers from CRC. These were my dream ones, but the parts for the custom build had been hard to find and/or out of stock. Like magic the stuff showed up as in-stock today at CRC, even though it hadn't been there just a few days ago.

Hope II hubs in red
Pink Camo MTX hoops
Silver DT Swiss DB spokes
Red Alloy nipples

They should look gawd awful, and I got them for just a touch over $400 USD.

Fantastic!
Pink Camo!!! You sexy MF!!!!!!! :)

I had a stock alert on a 150mm Hope Pro II at CRC. By the time I logged in they'd sold out!!! It was literally about 6 hours.