Quantcast

Atomlab Pimplite wheels

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
How many clicks on the rear hub? I know it's got six pawls, just curious on clicks. Building it up for my Zerode. Want a snappy hub.
Also, how are the Pimplite rims? Soft side walls? Strong rim/wheel?
Cheers in advance :thumb:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Hub has over 60clicks aparently. Should be enough. Not as good as I9, but I never heard back from their rep in Oz, and can't wait any longer. The Pimplite should be a lighter hub anyway.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
i have used the Atomlabs before and the rims are pretty heavy!! but they are very strong and stiff. are there any others on your radar?

goodgrief

Monkey
Aug 13, 2008
Innerleithen, Scotland
i've got 5 days on pimplites laced to spank spike rims.
the hub has a quicker engagement than a hope, i can compare directly because i have several hope wheelsets.
the freehub picks up nice and fast but is almost silent in freewheel. i like the stealth feeling but i've gotten used letting the hope noise announce my presence to walkers and pedestrians!
one thing i don't like is the end caps which are just pushed in and held by o-rings, when fitting wheels the slightest mis-alignment can catch them on the dropout and knock them out of place.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Good luck with the Spank rims.
I've ordered the Atomlab wheels. Rims will be switched out to Mavic when rims get destroyed. Ordered 1 ful set for a mates Zerode, I'll run my ProII/823 front.
Thanks for the help fellas. The rims are lighter than MTX33s, so not that bad.Heavier than 521s.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
i am interested to hear what people think "heavy" is these days?

620g is heavy? those rims you can beat the piss out of them for years on end and they are as stiff and strong as anything on the market.

sure, they are not 470g flows, but they will last 100's of days of dh'ing. i personally got over 100 days on dh'ing on them last season, and they were still true, round and straight. the 721's that are a similar profile and 30g lighter, but needed to be replaced every 40-60 days in my experiance.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
i am interested to hear what people think "heavy" is these days?

620g is heavy? those rims you can beat the piss out of them for years on end and they are as stiff and strong as anything on the market.

sure, they are not 470g flows, but they will last 100's of days of dh'ing. i personally got over 100 days on dh'ing on them last season, and they were still true, round and straight. the 721's that are a similar profile and 30g lighter, but needed to be replaced every 40-60 days in my experiance.
Yours are shiny green aren't they?

That's why you bought them isn't it?

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
I've run pimplite rims for a few years now and although they aren't super lite rims I'm not racing so I don't care.
Solid and reliable. Easy to true up.

I've built my Zerode with a set of pimplite wheels.
The hubs are solid. They Work good with the Zerode.

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
I've run pimplite rims for a few years now and although they aren't super lite rims I'm not racing so I don't care.
Solid and reliable. Easy to true up.

I've built my Zerode with a set of pimplite wheels.
The hubs are solid. They Work good with the Zerode.