Quantcast

atomlab rims

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
i am interested in a set of atolmab rims for my street/dj/fr hardtail. i just dont kno which ones to het. there are the aircorps, the trailpimps,and the dhrs. which ones hold up to the most abuse?(like 5'+ to flat)

Macrider

Monkey
Oct 13, 2003
Los Angeles
Originally posted by mcA896
i am interested in a set of atolmab rims for my street/dj/fr hardtail. i just dont kno which ones to het. there are the aircorps, the trailpimps,and the dhrs. which ones hold up to the most abuse?(like 5'+ to flat)
I'd avoid the Atomlabs - I love their pedals, but mine have blown up their bearings two many times, and Atomlabs won't call or email back to requests for replacements - they seem to be not in business at the moment - not too encouraging...:mad:

unusualpunk

Chimp
Dec 21, 2003
at your girlfriends house
ok here what i have heard is pretty good. arrow dhx, sun intense mag 30. dont get ANY atomic wheels, the trailpimp weigh 2 pounds rim alone, they flatspot easly, they are not worth it. save up for some rims, go here for some more ideas.
MTB review

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by Ifelloffabike
Sun ringle rims

i guess you would be in the market for something like the mammoth or doubletrack/doublewides
Ugh. :eviltongu No doublewides. Doubletracks, on the other hand, are an intelligent design.

Arrows or Mag30s/Doubletracks would pretty much be the best options here.

Macrider

Monkey
Oct 13, 2003
Los Angeles
Originally posted by CBJ
Yes, baaad customer service they do not respond to any questions not even from my LBS.
yeah, my LBS guy tried for me too - now he's trying to find another source for the bearings - (anybody? anybody? Trailkings?)

even if you are having trouble at the office, you can set up an automatic response on your email or a message on your machine

"Hi, thanks for your call/email Atomlabs are out smoking ganj right now and the company is heading down the tubes, don't expect us to get back to you anytime soon, and good luck with any products you may have bought from us" :devil:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I'm going to be riding and racing on Salsa Gordo's this year and they look very nice and are pretty light too so I would consider them. Only thing is that there really aren't any reviews on them yet. But rest assured once I get some time on them I'll do a write-up.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by Macrider
yeah, my LBS guy tried for me too - now he's trying to find another source for the bearings - (anybody? anybody? Trailkings?)
ANY bearing supplier can get them for you. You need 696ZZ bearings, and if you need new DU bushings they're 14mm ID x 12mm tall.

try www.awbearings.com or www.bearingpro.com or www.bocabearings.com if you want an online source but if you live near a major city you should be able to find a bearing supplier near you.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
i saw the arrows...how much per rim? i already have a mammothin the back and i want somethign disc specific. what about the singletracks? a little more expensive but watever

Guess?Who

Monkey
Nov 21, 2003
S.I.N.Y
If you don't care about weight go with the Trailpimps. If you are looking for 24's, I have a rear built to a ringle hub and a hoop for the front.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
i saw the arrows...how much per rim? i already have a mammothin the back and i want somethign disc specific. what about the singletracks? a little more expensive but watever
Arrows are around $70 per rim.

Don't get Singletracks. They're a pretty good "heavy duty" trail riding rim but they're not for street riding, DJ, or hard abuse. The Singletrack is by far the most-taco'ed, most-flatspotted rim out of all the people I know.

bikedumpdave

Chimp
Mar 9, 2004
ottawa ontario
after many years on sun double wides , I ligthened up and changed to double tracks ,bent them middle of the season, but liked the idea of a thinner rim band giving you more tire hieght . so as atom lab, trial pimp looked strong- for my wiegth 225 lbs- I gave them a chance ,and they are still working, and I havent been able to flat spot them, even when running at lower pressers,now my old yeti DH8 will live forever, and I put them on my new Evil Imperial 24" and the extra wieght is nil. for the rigid strengths provided Cheers Dave:)

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
Originally posted by DßR
Arrows are around $70 per rim.

Don't get Singletracks. They're a pretty good "heavy duty" trail riding rim but they're not for street riding, DJ, or hard abuse. The Singletrack is by far the most-taco'ed, most-flatspotted rim out of all the people I know.
then i am wonderin why "super-t" tyler klassen uses em? yea i saw kranked 5 when his rips right off the hub but thats not the fault of the rim

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
then i am wonderin why "super-t" tyler klassen uses em? yea i saw kranked 5 when his rips right off the hub but thats not the fault of the rim
Probably because he can get new ones for free every week?

THe whole "XXX Pro uses YYY component, therefore it IS awesome" fallacy gets really old. Pro's run what they run b/c they're paid to run it.

supros88

Chimp
Feb 12, 2004
Australia
I personaly have never had any problems with my trailpimps except that they are very hard on spokes.

Are Arrow & dee-max rims stronger that atomlab trailpimps?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I vouch for Arrow DHX rims. Beefy strong as hell rims.

Just get em, nothing will touch them in strength. Weight it a bit more than most but so what, the weight is justified in their strength.

D321's are second. I dunno why everyone has the notion that D321's or mavic products are expensive. I have seen D321's for $70-80. That is reasonable to me for a quality rim. My Arrow DHX rims from Go-ride.com were $70 I think.

D321's are more a race rim I think, Arrow DHX are just pure abuse rims.

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
I have run double tracks, TP's and an arrow....I like the arrow DHX most...but I also like the eyelets on the double track...I didn't much care for the TP...I never flat spotted it, but I bent the hell out of the bead on a couple of occasions...they seemed to pinch flat pretty easy too...I think it is because the are a bit narrow. My two bits.

unusualpunk

Chimp
Dec 21, 2003
at your girlfriends house
I agree, trailpimps suck, arrow, or 321. I am running 321's on my street bike, and they seem pretty good so far. They are both around the same price, but the 321 is about 200grams lighter than the DHX, so I chose the 321's.

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
Originally posted by DßR
Probably because he can get new ones for free every week?

THe whole "XXX Pro uses YYY component, therefore it IS awesome" fallacy gets really old. Pro's run what they run b/c they're paid to run it.
im sure if he wanted to he could be running any of sun's rims.

also, singletracks work perfectly fine for street as long as you arnt a completely unsmooth clod and the wheel is built up well. Ive seen someone mess up a big quarter to quarter wallride and land ontop of the deck to rear wheel hard enough to snap a frame without damaging the rear rim.

Hrelp

Chimp
Feb 23, 2004
Atomiclab air corps are probally the biggest peices of crap ever bend like butter. If you want a strong rim try out the supra sigma i've known a couple guys to ride down staircase with flats and not bend the rim.

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
Mavics 721's or 729's. Lace em up and beat the piss out of them. I have done stupid street stuff on mine, they hold up great. Price is negligible. Reinforved eyelets, hard anodized, and pretty light to boot. If you can fold a 729, then you need to find a better tranny.

Spec8in561

Monkey
Mar 12, 2004
I rode Trailpimps forever ..love them...hated teh weight..just built a set of 729's and they seem to be holding...I went ahead and built up a set of aircorps though for my P3 ...just can't help it they are sweet rims...aircorps are not as strong as TP or 729's..but they will work and they are lighter