Quantcast

Atomlab Trailking FS

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
Thomas has been working on a full suspension/slop style frame for atomlab for a little while now. He just got his hands on what I believe is an early production frame and built it up. I’ve seen it called the Trailking SS and FS, not sure which is the final name on it. Here's what he had to say....

they will be sold with a roco world cup, i believe that the frame and a shock will retail for $1000 and the complete with a 55r, GI parts kit, X 7 drive train, e13 and hydros will retail for $2000.

Production will have a 5degree bend 4" up from the axle to help with chainline and the front shock mount will be removable aluminum to help fit different shocks

my bike with as is weighs in between 38 and 39lbs. short of the seat and stem nothing on the bike is light weight. i would expect the complete to be probably around 40Lbs but its a little early to tell. since there were no prototype screw ups i think that the release date of October is pretty reasonable so as things unfold I’ll keep you all in the loop.

thomas

pHeller

Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Looks very similar to the Eastern26 Slash series.

Front end looks nice, the rear looks rough, as stated above.

I like the removable forward shock mount.

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
all you fools need to stop sippin the haterade. I like the look of the frame. I'd personally make a few different choices as far as components, but over all it looks like a nice simple build, perfect for what it is intended for.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
im not sippin haterade...it needs refined to do well...i love atom lab products in general

The transition double and or that MC bike that was floating around look amazing with clean lines...Why would someone buy this over those bikes? Just trying to give a bit of feedback, sex sells.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
40 lbs. seems like a lot of weight. maybe spend some time looking at weight reduction in areas like: mounting hardware, pivot hardware (think hollow BMX axles with flush mount bolts), rear swing arm (that looks really over built. did you do some FEA? perhaps you can decrease wall thickness or tube diameter. thinner gage tubing in the cross braces between the shock and pivot mounts...? perhaps an alu swing arm...?)

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
I really feel like Atomlab coulda done better... It is very similar to others on the market - but in reality, that isn't a huge issue. As I can see, it doesn't appear to bring anything to the table that isnt already on the market...and a build at 38lbs?? That seems like a lot of unnecessary weight....

IMO - keep your eyes pealed for the Mountain Cycle Battery.

I got a chance to ride one at rays, and it was a sweet ride....

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
yeah what happened to MC with this one? I talked to Landon about buying one waaaaaay back...

I think this bike would sell really well...IMO the brushed isnt as good looking as the first proto or the shot of the white one that was floating around but damn that bike would fun...

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
The design looks like it might invite some serious FLEX.
Especially if it's steel. The MC with the bigass pivots and aluminum might be a bit stiffer though. I could be wrong....

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
I rode the EXACT rig in the first picture at rays and it honestly felt pretty darn nice. BUT I keep on telling myself what is the point of having a full sus bike the size of my hardtail?

I'd rather built up a big rig than waste time on a bike that will be used for the same things I ride mine on now. God only knows I rip those slopestyle trails upppp ;)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I rode the EXACT rig in the first picture at rays and it honestly felt pretty darn nice. BUT I keep on telling myself what is the point of having a full sus bike the size of my hardtail?

I'd rather built up a big rig than waste time on a bike that will be used for the same things I ride mine on now. God only knows I rip those slopestyle trails upppp ;)
yeah those little fullys have thier place though...guys around here are very bmx oriented riding big trail lines but like to ride resorts as well. I think they are the perfect little bikes...

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I hope most of us are beyond caring what bikes "LOOK" like. I could care less if a bike is an (alleged) eyesore... you should be more concerned about how it RIDES.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Aye - we all get caught up in looks. But what I was trying to point out is that atomlab REALLY isnt bringing anything new to the table. Not anything that is substancial enough for people (speaking for myself, mostly) to go with the A-Lab over a bike that's build weight is a lot more reasonable and doesnt have any unnecessary weight.

Then again... all of these could be considered sweeping generalizations... Ignore or critic as you feel fit.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
I never said it was... Although I did imply it in a way.

I guess looking at the rest of the products Atomlab brings to the table, this is not what I would expect from them.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
I'd be interested to see the geo. numbers on this before making a judgement based on a few photos.
If Thomas has a hand in this bike I'd be pretty sure it has potential to rip.

And all this jive talk... c'mon.
I mean, if someone were to post up pics of an Atomlab Trailking, or even a blackmarket, or a tonic fab, or whatever, plenty of people could always say, "It brings nothing new to the table", without really even having any clue to the entire story behind it or how it even rides.! Trailking looks just like any other frame, but has quite progressive geometry that the eye could not possibly catch entirely in a photo. Same with the new Fall Guy for example, reverted back to the "same old triangles, same old round tubing, holds the same old two wheels..." c'mon, just think before you judge at a glance. I can respect opinion based on aesthetics and looks, of course, but man, some ugly chicks can ride hard too, believe it or not! hahaha, d'oh.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
...Then again... all of these could be considered sweeping generalizations... Ignore or critic as you feel fit.
That is why I included this in my one post. Judging its LOOKS - It does not look as if it will be anything different than what other companies are bringing to the market... It seems like there are certain corners of the market that go out and try and revolutionize things, and others that follow suit. I've always looked at some of atomlabs products as being the ones to revolutionize things, this just is not what I was expecting. (I edited my first response to clear up confusion on how I worded things)...

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
I just picked up a Sinister Gruitr for a sussy trail rig. I guess it's in the "slopestyle" category with it's geometry being very close to the all popular BR (which I had as well). For riding trail, I want something with a low TT and something I can slam the seat while on a trail ride and hit some features if they pop up.

Sorry this post doens't say much about the Atomlab rig but figured since the Mtn Cycle was brought up I'd inject Sinister's offering.

http://sinisterbikes.com/gruitr_geometry.htm

A couple vids at some nearby XC trails. 2nd ride on the Gruitr and first time on these jumps with the new bike. It's a pretty adaptable bike:

http://defconfour.com/movies/allaire_don_01.mov

http://defconfour.com/movies/allaire_don_02.mov