Quantcast

Atomlab Trailking pedals good for street riding?

freerider215

Chimp
Jul 27, 2003
it really depends on what you mean by riding street. do you mean doing stairgaps and manuals? if you mean grinds and stalls etc, don't waste your money on expensive pedals. the JC's are nice pedals, but get the sealed version. i just put the unsealed on yesterday and after one ride the non drive side is loose.

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
the pedals have nuts you can tighten for a reason. If you are going to be grinding on a pedal there is no reason to spend the extra money for sealed ones. Ive always grinded through the pedal body before the unsealed pedals stopped working.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by Changleen
Cheap pedals for street cos you'll kill em.
true, but i like my trail kings just the same. they have caused me no grief in about a year of use.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Yeah I suppose you could go either really cheap or really expensive - Cheap will get destroyed and you won't care - expensive will probably hold up.

When you pay out $80 though only to have your axles bend or to smash a cage on a metal post then you get pissed of. Well, I do anyway.

Quite fancy those Moriority pedals or those shin burgers though...

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
the trailkings are good pedals. not the cheapest ones on the market but they still kick ass. just cause its called the trailking doenst mean that its only good for riding trails. I would think that if its good for trails, then its probably going to be nice and grippy for all kinds of riding. i personally am riding the pedals that came stock on my bike, the Kona Jack****s. good pedals, dont see any need to replace them until they break. but i sure miss my odyessy twisted platforms.....i rode those pedals for like 3 years and they held up great aside from a couple wayward pins.

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
I'm pretty sure Atomlab has just redesigned the Trailking... Now comes with pins similar in design to the Odyssey JCs. Look like good stuff, but they're still too expensive for me.

letoyboy

Chimp
Nov 27, 2003
Springfield, VA
I own both the TrailKings and Jim Cielenckis. They're both awesome, but the TrailKings have taller pins so they're grippier. The Cielencki's come with different pin size kits, so you can customize what length pin and where. I think the Odyssey is better for things like pedal grinds, but for what you're doing, I don't think you'll loose either way. I like the versatility of the JC's, and they're cheaper than the TrailKings, so I would just go with those....but don't get the unsealed. yeesh!!

SR

Monkey
Dec 8, 2001
Olympia WA
it takes about 10 seconds to properly adjust unsealed pedals and some simple maintenence every few months (aplying grease or what have you around the bearings to keep em rolling smooth). I've had some unsealed snafu pedals for almost 3 years now (swapped between 3 different bikes) and they are still great. I have completely ground off one side of them doing pedal grinds. Of course you're going to be happy with trailkings, they are damn nice pedals but cheaper (even unsealed) pedals like the JC's will hold up just fine and they even feel nice and fancy on the bottom of your shoes;)

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
i've never had a problem with unsealed pedals. when I was a 'no-footer' kinda guy I liked that I could adjust them so they didn't spin like crazy when I took my feet off them.

I can't tell you what to get but I like cheap pedals. (not expensive but not crappy pedals)

I seem to fall down alot so my pedals take some abuse.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
I don't want to sound like a repeat of everyone, but I have had both pedals and do have some opinions.

Number one, I loved both sets of trailkings I have. I used them for Mtbing, but also heavily for bmx. I do a lot of pedal grinds and each set stood up for about a year of moderate abuse before I got new ones. If you don't mind paying the money they will see just the bodies, but then again from your description of your riding style this shouldn't be an issue. The pedals never bent, you can extract the pins easy, and they are light. All around a great set up.

The JC's are trailkings pumped up a little. Deffinetly less grip (which can be adjusted with new pins [one thing that is cool about the trailkings, standard hardwarestore screws, maybe the JC's are too, but I liked that feature]). For crankflips I noticed it. On the other hand, they are a lot bigger. Bigger targets are good for no footed stuff, grinds, and tailwhips. I haven't really used them to much for street, but have hammered on them the last few months in a park and pedal grinds and pedal picks work awesome. They have reinforcement and a lot more material so they should last longer. I have the sealed version as well, which I like. I guess JC rocks the non sealed, but if you work at a shop (or other wise, there only like $60 which is the cost on the trailkings) its a good deal.

Anyway, either way is a good choice, but the JC is my current favorite.