Quantcast

Attempted puppycide

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
http://kstp.com/news/stories/S1438873.shtml?cat=206

A police officer trying to make an arrest at a Minneapolis home shot the neighbor's dog.

The dog's owners are angry and confused, but police officials say the officer acted responsibly.

Of course he did.

Knapp's brother Allen said the dog did not try to attack the officer and wasn't even barking when it was shot.

Neighbors backed up the Knapps' version of events. But police said the dog was barking viciously and tried to jump the fence toward the officer.

By this logic the guy who reads the power meters in my neighborhood should be able to kill every single dog in the zip code. Oh noes, a dog was barking! It's coming right at us!

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC
A similar thing happened in east Tennessee this past fall. Officer was chasing a suspect through a neighborhood, jumped a fence into someone's yard where a dog was. Policeman shot the dog and said it was coming at him in "attack mode". Long story short, a video of this shooting came out and the dog was walking up to the officer wagging its tail.
This seems to be happening more and more lately. I am sure that the police come in contact with vicious dogs all the time, but it seems some officers aren't using necessary discretion.
But yea, sniper kitty probably did it. I heard he was in DC around 2004 as well...hmmm

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
A similar thing happened in east Tennessee this past fall. Officer was chasing a suspect through a neighborhood, jumped a fence into someone's yard where a dog was. Policeman shot the dog and said it was coming at him in "attack mode". Long story short, a video of this shooting came out and the dog was walking up to the officer wagging its tail.
This seems to be happening more and more lately. I am sure that the police come in contact with vicious dogs all the time, but it seems some officers aren't using necessary discretion.
But yea, sniper kitty probably did it. I heard he was in DC around 2004 as well...hmmm
Man, this is a different incident in 2003.

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
But police said the dog was barking viciously and tried to jump the fence toward the officer.

That's embarassing. They should really raise standards for public services.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
A friend of mine worked for the FBI and would go with local police to raid houses and make arrests (the kind where they break your door down at 4am). He said it was often fairly standard to shoot dogs. But he said it bothered him, so they found they could spray angry dogs with fire extinguishers instead.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
A friend of mine worked for the FBI and would go with local police to raid houses and make arrests (the kind where they break your door down at 4am). He said it was often fairly standard to shoot dogs. But he said it bothered him, so they found they could spray angry dogs with fire extinguishers instead.
I like the idea of trying not to kill the dog, but often if it has been treated badly enough to be a violent guard dog, you can't do much other then kill it.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I like the idea of trying not to kill the dog, but often if it has been treated badly enough to be a violent guard dog, you can't do much other then kill it.
Even if a dog's not a violent guard dog, but presents an impediment to making the arrest, the dog's possibly putting the officer(s) in danger from the human subject.

Therefore, the dog may get shot. Someone like me, who likes dogs, might try to use pepper spray or something, but I also might not depending on the circumstance. (proximity of dog, aggressiveness of dog, other things going on at the time, my role in the situation, etc.)

Glad it's not a situation I've faced, as in general, I like dogs a lot more than I like people, and I think it'd be a harder moral choice to shoot a dog (who's just being a dog, whether aggressive or merely excited) than it would be to shoot a person who's presenting a deadly threat to me (and has a choice about it).

In the end, though, if I thought a dog was going to affect my control of the human subject, especially one who's yet to be cuffed and searched thoroughly--chihuahua, corgi, or Great Dane--I'd have to shoot it. Unlikely scenario for me.

However, a dog on the other side of a fence? Pretty rare circumstances to justify that, although it could be justifiable depending on the facts. I'm open to hear his reasoning, at least...

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
However, a dog on the other side of a fence? Pretty rare circumstances to justify that, although it could be justifiable depending on the facts. I'm open to hear his reasoning, at least...
I agree on the dog behind a fence, no need to shoot it.

Devil's advocate on;

If the dog was barking wildly and there was drugs guns and children in the house they had the warrant for maybe then you could make a case for shooting a neighbors dog, maybe.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
It's stuff like this that makes me say, Fvck the Police!

Bunch of a$$ holes with guns trying to be tough. Must be some kinda tough guy, needs to shoot a scary dog on the other side of a fence.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
It's stuff like this that makes me say, Fvck the Police!

Bunch of a$$ holes with guns trying to be tough. Must be some kinda tough guy, needs to shoot a scary dog on the other side of a fence.
You have a keen understanding of this situation, and both the legal and moral aspects of using force.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
You have a keen understanding of this situation, and both the legal and moral aspects of using force.
While I do not understand the legal aspects (which I really don't give a sh!t about) of this situation. I'm pretty sure I am aware of the moral aspects of shooting an innocent dog through a fence.

Maybe I am wrong and you can explain how it was the moral thing to do?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
You don't know a thing about the situation.

What was going on aside from the dog, the height/composition of the fence, dog's behavior, and the whole mess of things which contribute to the totality of the circumstances for the use of force.

Could have been totally justified.

Like I said, though, I'd be interested to hear what circumstances the officer states made the use of force reasonable.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA

What was going on aside from the dog, the height/composition of the fence, dog's behavior, and the whole mess of things which contribute to the totality of the circumstances for the use of force.

Like I said, though, I'd be interested to hear what circumstances the officer states made the use of force reasonable.
Dog never made it to the other side of the fence, officer wasn't bitten.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Not the point. That's like saying an officer shouldn't shoot a suspect pointing a gun at someone unless shot at (or even shot) himself.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Not the point. That's like saying an officer shouldn't shoot a suspect pointing a gun at someone unless shot at (or even shot) himself.
Seriously, he shot the neighbors dog. On the other side of a fence. For barking and jumping at the fence.

Oddly enough, the soldier in the thread seems to have taken greater precautions to not kill dogs than than police officers do. If you can't figure out why that is a ****ed up situation, I can't help you.

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007

there is a footage of the fence in a video.

Police officer is obviously scared person with psychopathic tendencies. Such person is danger for society, therefore should be sacked and supervised in proper mental institution.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Seriously, he shot the neighbors dog. On the other side of a fence. For barking and jumping at the fence.

Oddly enough, the soldier in the thread seems to have taken greater precautions to not kill dogs than than police officers do. If you can't figure out why that is a ****ed up situation, I can't help you.
No **** he shot the neighbor's dog. If you can't figure out that there are circumstances that could justify that, I can't help you, either.

I'm not saying he was right. I'm saying he's not necessarily wrong.

Bohorec seems to have seen a video; I haven't seen it. That might offer me some more info to actually have an opinion on the subject, but it still wouldn't be concrete until I'd heard from the officer, witnesses, and examined the scene in detail.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
No **** he shot the neighbor's dog. If you can't figure out that there are circumstances that could justify that, I can't help you, either.

I'm not saying he was right. I'm saying he's not necessarily wrong.

Bohorec seems to have seen a video; I haven't seen it. That might offer me some more info to actually have an opinion on the subject, but it still wouldn't be concrete until I'd heard from the officer, witnesses, and examined the scene in detail.
Well, Kojak, to start with I'd say that the neighbor's dog in the neighbor's yard inside the fence is a pretty strong piece of evidence against shooting the mutt. Unless you think that the dog hopped the fence, got shot, hopped back over and dragged all the bloody snow back into the yard to cover his tracks and frame the police officer...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
If the dog was acting aggressively and apparently going to jump the fence, or even if a reasonable person would merely conclude that the dog could jump the fence (or break through it) in conjunction with aggressive behavior, it's justifiable.

Edit: Again, NOT saying the cop was justified. In fact, I've expressed skepticism about it. But the dog being in the neighbor's yard isn't exactly the "smoking gun." If an 80-lb angry dog (teeth bared, barking or growling) came charging out of the neighbor's house at a run towards me, and it looked poised to jump--even try to jump--a fence that I could reasonably believe it could clear, use of deadly force against the dog while it's still in the neighbor's yard is clearly Constitutional. Again, dunno if the circumstances in this case were ANYTHING like that.

Last edited: