Quantcast

Attention Asheville/WNC Area Deviants

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Didn't want to have 2 threads asking for help in one day but here we go anyway...

After speaking at length with trail builders and other influential people in the area, it has come to my attention that we have a very real opportunity to pursue a city/county sponsored DH/FR park. The only problem is that a project of this size takes an organized group of people to accomplish.

Fortunately, we already have Pisgah Area SORBA (PAS) but they currently have no input from the DH/FR community. I am going to attend their meeting tomorrow night (Aug 13th) and see what I can do to take an active role in getting a community bike park.

The problem is that I can't do this alone - in fact, no one can. We need some additional volunteers. And I'm not referring to trail work. We need volunteers that will help with proposals, risk assesment, etc. So if you have any desire to have a project like this see the light of day, please consider coming out tomorrow evening or at least PMing me for more details.

Here's a link from our lycra-clad brethren over at MTBR that talks more about the meeting: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=440159

Also, I should point out that this project is not intended in any way to compete with 26 West. It will probably be much smaller in scale and will be completely volunteer-based.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Kenan, that is what I have been doing with our SORBA Chapter. Not a DH/FR Park, but getting places for us DHers to ride, trails to maintain, and future DJ/Pump track areas. The Race is just the start here. Not saying there will be a Full On DH Trail at Paris Mt. Just saying we will have more options in the future here in the Greenville area if all works out well. The main reason is to help get the Youth into the sport and give them more options other than Road and XC riding. Our local SORBA group has been great about helping out. The funny thing is some of them like to do the same kind of riding we do time to time too. That is why I think its great to join your local SORBA group and go to the meetings. They will listen to what you have to say.

You will want to call Darrin Tinsley at 828-699-4069 for your area SORBA Group. He can really help you get into that group and help pitch the DH/FR thing to the Group.

Good luck and I will do what I can from down here to help if I can,

Cecil

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Cecil - thanks for your help! So far I've had one guy PM me about coming out. There have got to be other people in the area who would be into this. I doubt most of them check RM though.

I think the Upstate SORBA and the PAS are doing a workday in Dupont this weekend - you going? I figure I'll go since it seems like the only trail work I ever do is on private property.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Cecil - thanks for your help! So far I've had one guy PM me about coming out. There have got to be other people in the area who would be into this. I doubt most of them check RM though.

I think the Upstate SORBA and the PAS are doing a workday in Dupont this weekend - you going? I figure I'll go since it seems like the only trail work I ever do is on private property.
Sorry man, I will be down in FL surfing!!!!! Will give you a call when I get back.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
can someone please move asheville closer to the winston area. :rant: :D

good luck with this kenan and i wish i lived closer to i could pitch in.
Thanks! I'll call you for help when it comes time to swing a hammer.

The meeting went well. We have a few people that are very intersted in making this happen but it will probably be several years before it sees the light of day.
The City of Asheville actually asked one of the SORBA members what they had to do to get the annual freeride comp back and he told them that he needed land. There are 2.5 acres that they're looking to clean up so that's a possibility. We'll see what happens...