Quantcast

Attention Balfa 2 Step owners!!!!!

Mtbike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Indiana
I won a 2003 Balfa 2 Step on Ebay a couple months ago. The bike rocks as a freeride bike and it fits me like a dream. It drops and jumps like a dream! The one thing that is driving me nuts is my cranks banging off the ground or other objects.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? Would a stable platform shock be a viable solution? Or am I stuck learning how to ride around the 2 steps characteristics?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You're stuck. Low BB and non progressive rate linkage is just asking to slam your pedals around. The only way around it is to use a higher spring rate and thus not get all of your travel.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Is it a 2Step DH or FR? If it is a 2Step DH - try some 170mm cranks or if you are using it for FR try using some 165mm cranks and see if that helps.

I haven't heard of people complaining about a low bottom bracket on the 2Step FRs

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Good suggestion, Mark. 5mm +/- won't make an enormous difference but it could be the difference between scraping your pedal and destroying your pedal.

For the most part, springs are springs. I'd just contact your shock manufacturer. If your spring is in good shape, they often will do some kind of discount on the new spring if you send the old one back.