Quantcast

Attention Hummingbird "wannabe freeriders"

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Pushed up and rode the Bird for the first time in a couple years - was very disapointing.

Apparently there are a few jacka$$ riders trying to turn the bottom of the trail into a terrain park. There used to be one main switchback cut which was fenced and closed a long time ago, now the fence is long gone and it's obvious the cut is being riden.

Worse, there are lots of new cuts, even some with drops in full view of the trail! And even more embarrassing, there are wimp bypasses around the drops!!! Come on, if you need to bypass STAY ON THE MAIN TRAIL, don't make a cut around your cut. Sheeesh. I suppose the dry winter and lack of vegetation makes cutting more tempting, but foks gotta resist. There are several very challenging biking trails in Ventura county, there is absolutely no reason to try to turn this popular multi-use trail into a DH trail. It makes mountain bikers look bad and only puts more heat on the dedicated biking-only DH trails in the county. Any irresponsible biker cuts should be closed, by bikers.

To be fair, the hikers are far from innocent. There are tons of switchback cuts on the top half of the mountain and all but one or two are clearly 100% hiker cuts. Unreal, lots of cuts are only ten feet from the switchback turn. If somebody is out for a hike, do they really need to cut the switchback when they're already so close?! Lazy lazy lazy...

So I turned my ride into a trail work day and blocked several of the lamest cuts. That diagonal crack halfway down has become so deep that riders and hikers are bypassing it above and below the main trail, creating an eight foot wide eyesore. So I filled the crack with big flat rocks, now even unskilled riders will be able to ride right over it and won't have to bypass in the loose dirt. Yeah it used to be a challenging spot for advanced riders (who can still air over the crack if they want to), but they should be riding challenging trails instead of Hummingbird. And if they do choose to ride Hummingbird, they shouldn't complain about it being too easy.

Peace out.