Quantcast

Attention Karpiel Armageddon fans!!!!!

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by Brian HCM#1, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Thrillkil

Thrillkil Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Any plans to start making new Disco Volante's, or any new designs Jan has concocted?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Brian HCM#1

Brian HCM#1 MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 13
    As of now, just Armys.

3. Ciaran

Ciaran Fear my banana

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 8
    If you don't mind posting it here... How much? (appx)

12mm thru axle and a replacable der hanger sound like great changes.

4. Brian HCM#1

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 13
    Probably around the original price of $2999.00 It may be a few hundred less however.

5. Pau11y

Pau11y Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    8 / 0
    Brian, DUDE! Does this mean your bud can help me fix mine (head tube welded on crooked - original Ventana weld job)? I'd need it cut off w/o taking material off the top/down tube (it's already feeling a bit short), and rewelded and heat treated.
    He's prob. too early in the process to do something like this w/ any sort of cost effectiveness. But if you can drop a bug in his ear about it, it'd be sweet :D

6. BigMike

BigMike BrokenbikeMike

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    So..... did Jan sell his frame design to this guy or what? I'm a bit confused on how there are Karpiels being marketed without Jan being involved :confused:

It is great news though, I'm a closet Karpiel fan :)

7. Brian HCM#1

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 13
    Nope he didn't sell the design to him, from what I've been told he's just burned out on frame building right now. It maybe something he goes back to in the future, but I think he's happy to see his frames being produced again.

8. seismic

seismic Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    As long as they are back in production with a good quality I think it is really nice !

9. Internal14

Internal14 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    From what I gather, he's got no pattents on anyting. So he doesn't have much to fall back on if someone want's to remarket a krapiel looking bike.

flame away Krapiel lovers......

10. Ciaran

Ciaran Fear my banana

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 8
    Maybe one of us should run out and have the design patented.

11. Internal14

Internal14 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    I've been wondering why, with so many rabid Krapiel lovers there seems to be who are just so sold that this is the bees-knees of all bikes, no one has done the research and cash outlay to get a 'new' company going.

And marketing as "It may look like a Krapiel, but it's 100% Jan-Free!":rolleyes:

12. DLo

DLo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    Brian, it's my take that the swingarms on the Army and Disco are interchangeable... right? I forget, it's been a while since we compared them - but if someone were to ever destroy the rear swingarm, is it possible if we can still get hooked up?

13. vitox

vitox Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 1

theyre totally interchangeable, however your about 3x as likely to break the front end.

14. BigMike

BigMike BrokenbikeMike

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    He doesn't have any patents? How did he keep his buisness going with no patents? Somthing doesnt sound right here....

I know a lot of people say he had shoddy buisness skills, but to not have any patents on his designs..... if thats true, its just stupid. Like Jan or not, he does have some good designs, and there ARE people that are crazy about his bikes. Why would you not patent somthing that you put so much time and work into??

15. Internal14

Internal14 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Can you get patents in the US if you're not a citizen?
    I'm sure he could have at least done it somehow though.

Maybe it's just rumors...but I was told that he didn't receive any patents.

16. Ciaran

Ciaran Fear my banana

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 8
    Yes, you can get a patent in the US if you are not a US citizen (as far as I can tell, anyway).

I looked as best I could through the US Patent office's database and the only thing I could find that Jan Karpiel did was trademark the name and logo. The only patents I find attached to the name "Karpiel" are medical devices, including ones for a sphincterectomy. :eek:

I did find this one though. Anyone guess who's it is? :D

A bicycle rear wheel suspension system in which plural interconnections are provided of rear wheel-supporting components, at which interconnections there occurs pivotal traverses contributing to urging the axle of the rear wheel along a path providing positions of movement therealong to achieve a desired extent of pressure feedback to the pedals, an easing of suspension reaction to bumps, and multiple chainstay lengths, all parameters to better suit the bicycle to its end uses and the terrain on which it is used.

17. leprechaun

leprechaun Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    At Jans level why bother patenting?-He couldn't go chasing someone if they violated his patent-he can't afford a lawyer-he can't afford rent!!!

When i worked for him for that oh so long 9 months he recieved 2 patent infringement packages from lawyers asking him "how is your bike different from ours?" First Outland,then Cannondale.I was freaked out! He just belly laughed and said " what- are those ***** going to come and take my welder or something?" And " I get a new one of these every year,the company goes under or they change designs before anything happens anyway. They're just trying to scare some money out of me. "

It's really difficult to really understand Jan without knowing him.All (most) of the crazy stuff you hear about is true,and way worse stuff has happened that people don't know about.

Good to hear something is happening though.I would ask what geo changes are being made-but the bikes HT angles were allways different from batch to batch (not by choice) so there is no point in asking!!!

The bikes ARE really cool,but i would want to make so many changes that the bike would be too different to even call a Karp.The sideplates,linkage,etc looks cool and works well.But on mine the 11" travel mode it jumped great but descended poorly.In 9" mode the progression rate and wheelpath was ruined in order to lower the bike for descending prowess.And the dropouts,and,and....

18. seismic

seismic Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Hmmmm - dosent sound very nice.

19. Thrillkil

Thrillkil Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    The blurb on Karpiel's site still reads:

Exciting news for owners and fans of Karpiel bikes! With freshly acquired trademark rights and patents pending on several radical new designs, Karpiel is currently pursuing a viable manufacturing partner to support its current models and produce an innovative new line of bikes. The business offices of Karpiel Design will remain closed to the public while discussions continue, but updates will be posted to this site. Thanks for visiting!

Brian - have you made any inquiries into these new designs he claims he has? If he really has something new, it could be very exciting.

20. stgil888

stgil888 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I remember when I saw a Karpiel for the first time when I saw Double Down. That was the first MTB movie I remember. I'll remember the outline of the army against the desert landscape forever. Great movie. Now everytime I see a Karpiel I assume it's just been hucked off a 40ft cliff. It was the top o' the line frame when I started riding, and it'll always keep that spot in my mind.

21. Thrillkil

Thrillkil Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    It's kinda odd how little exposure the Disco Volante gets - I see probably 4 of them for every Army I see. It seems to me that Karpiel's reputation as an exclusively huck bike maker is unwarranted when they put out a very sound DH racer in the Disco.

22. leprechaun

leprechaun Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    Sweet! People remember.
    Man,so much went into that film.It seems like soooo long ago now.And the new films just blow me away! The Army was the ultra huck machine.That bike and a pair of ankle braces and i felt like a king.
    Thanks to Jan for helping out in those days. He was totally dedicated into furthering technology and freeride.Too bad he was even more dedicated to seeing what he could fit into a girls.......and what strange liquors he could fit in his tummy...

23. Brian HCM#1

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 13
    The Disco is a great bike, I loved mine.

24. legend_killer

legend_killer Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 0
    I saw my frist karp in down and it was my dream bike when I first started riding glad to see 'em comin' back

25. Internal14

Internal14 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0

Actively seeking a sucker with deep pockets and a kind heart. Must be able to give loads of cash/service/product in ecxchange for rubber check.

26. BigMike

BigMike BrokenbikeMike

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Were you in it?

I don't have double down, but I watch third down all the time :thumb:

If I had the money, I would go for it! With any investment, there is a chance of failure, but if you put your mind to it and its somthing you really take an interest and care about...... I don't see why success is not an option

27. bullcrew

bullcrew Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    10 / 26
    goin back to cali, cali, cali, goin back to cali!
    AAAHHHH! Hey Brian I got my Army today. :D Sweeeet1
    Gonna do white on the frame andrepolishthe swingarm.
    Came with a ti spring it weighs 11.1 with 9.5 shock.

28. seismic

seismic Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0

We are looking forward to see it !:love:

29. Jimmy_Pop

Jimmy_Pop Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0

Uuhh, Yeah!

I really liked the segment with Kris & that giant, grey ash run-in with the large takeoff and BLIND landing. He could sail it and manage to land perect with both wheels. The transition in the air was fantastic. Was that in Hanksville, UT ?

I hope I have my movies straight, its been a while since i watched the Down series.

Was it the camera lens that made the run in look like it was 100 yards long ?

30. BigMike

BigMike BrokenbikeMike

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Oops, didn't realize that was Krispy :stupid:

31. Thrillkil

Thrillkil Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    One other suggestion for future Karpiel bikes - a while back, there was a thread about installing a little canfield/balfa style roller above the front chainring, which eliminated pedal kickback and made running sub-40T chainrings possible. If this mod can be integrated into the next iteration of the Karpiel line, it would likely be great.

32. Brian HCM#1

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 13
    Maybe in time there will be some big changes, right now the main focus is getting them produced.

33. narlus

narlus Eastcoast Softcore
    Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 25
    does Jan Karpiel also go by the name of Roman Polanski?

:D

34. Curb Hucker

Curb Hucker I am an idiot

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    That was my thread, a couple of years back. Its been a while since ive had that Krapiel :blah:

35. DHS

DHS Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    jan still seeing that girl that use to live around the rochester, NY area?
    she was actually pretty cool...

36. Netguy

Netguy Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    OMG. Almost 25,000 posts! Nuts.

37. Percy

Percy Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    Does anyone know the exact location of this roller?
    Im making a new link for my Disco to fit a 2.75 shock and wouldnt mind looking into this mod at the same time.:)

The bike is mint to ride with the 2.35 shock, but its a little unreliable cos of the leverage ratio, a longer shock for the same travel would make it less prone to vomit the shock oil over the rear tyre!

38. Thrillkil

Thrillkil Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I think that as it was described, you would mount the roller to the upper front-triangle pivot on the drive side, then route the chain over the roller. I'm not 100% on that though.

39. vitox

vitox Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 1
    i dont think that roller is worth the try even. i can see it being useful on bikes like the dominatrax where the upper link is relatively short, but on the disco i cant see how much less chain growth youll get with the roller in place.

40. Percy

Percy Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    Looking at it, it will be relatively easy to try, so I might do it as an experiment.

The new link is being difficult as I need to modify the chainguide as well.