Quantcast

Attention Karpiel Armageddon fans!!!!!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
There are some new Armageddons currently in production, 5 to be exact, 3 are already sold. These are non Jan frames, however Jan did help tack this first batch together, they should also be sold with Fox DHX's. There are plans on making another 5 in the very near future. Jan has nothing to do with these and have given the okay to build more, so no Jan bashing here please.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
you should have them put the ISCG mounts on it. so everyone can use a 118 bb with their guides.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Nice to hear that there will be a couple of more Karpiels out there....hope we will see some pics ! Any changes on the new frames???

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
One of the people that did some CNCing is building them. The first batch will be like the originals, however with newer type links (non pinch bolts for the bearings) I'm hoping to work with him on the second batch to incorporate a 12mm thru axle and replaceable derailleur hanger. ISCG may also be in the future, however with MRP's they work perfect with 118's. I believe the new e13's work on them to with some modifications.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Brian HCM#1 said:
One of the people that did some CNCing is building them. The first batch will be like the originals, however with newer type links (non pinch bolts for the bearings) I'm hoping to work with him on the second batch to incorporate a 12mm thru axle and replaceable derailleur hanger. ISCG may also be in the future, however with MRP's they work perfect with 118's. I believe the new e13's work on them to with some modifications.
It would be awesome with a replacable rear hanger and a 12mm axle:love: :love: :love: :love:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
seismic said:
I think they ought to change the upper links too so they do not develop cracks....
This guy made some new links already, I've been riding them most of last years season. They work better as far as the bearing running smoother.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Brian HCM#1 said:
This guy made some new links already, I've been riding them most of last years season. They work better as far as the bearing running smoother.

...and they dont crack??? Do you have any close up pics of them ?? I would love to see them !:)

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Brian HCM#1 said:
Downhiller has the new links, if you look closely in his recent Army post. DHS sold him the frame, I got DHS the new version links.

Downhillers pics are not sharp enough so I cant see the differences...:mad:

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Brian HCM#1 said:
Not yet. The ones that cracked had the pinch bolts counter sunk too much.
......yeah...it didnt work very well. I like my steel links but it would be nice if there existed a burly and durable set of alu links too:)

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
DHS said:

Well...it is a little difficult for me to see but the links look like they still have these round holes ifrom whihc the craks in my links developed. I guess the movement in the material was too big when tightening the pinch bolts. However....if this problem does not occur in the nwe version of the links I think it is great !! This have by far been the biggest draw back for me when it comes to this frame...:mumble:

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
after holding both links the newer style ones are much beefier yet lighter with no bolts at the bearings. also look wayyyyy better up close. the cnc quality is MUCH better.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Brian HCM#1 said:
3 or 4 people are currently using this style links. Like I said no problems so far. However they have only been out 9-10 months.

Will these links be up for sale???....I would love a set (upper and lower) !

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
DHS said:
after holding both links the newer style ones are much beefier yet lighter with no bolts at the bearings. also look wayyyyy better up close. the cnc quality is MUCH better.

I would like get them instead of mine....the older version.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
narlus said:
are there any current DH frames which use QRs still?
The Demo 8 still uses one, and it is one of the stiffest frames out there.
When Turner switched to a thru axle, he only did it because people kept asking for one. The old frame was stiff enough.
They work fine, especially with a bolt on axle.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Jeremy R said:
The Demo 8 still uses one, and it is one of the stiffest frames out there.
When Turner switched to a thru axle, he only did it because people kept asking for one. The old frame was stiff enough.
They work fine, especially with a bolt on axle.
well the D8 has two extra stays on the rear which would help i'd think. turner went big (20mm), right?

the M1s used to be QR too, right?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
narlus said:
well the D8 has two extra stays on the rear which would help i'd think. turner went big (20mm), right?

Actually the QR on any Karpiel is fine, it's very stiff and I've never had a problem the the QR slipping. Jan did make some 20mm rears, but that was WAY to difficult to find a rear 20mm hub.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
narlus said:

Yeah, the Turner uses a 20mm with step downs for a 12 mm axle.
It works and is simple.

Now my old M1 was the suck if you tried to run a QR. It was a 12mm thru axle, but it came with these little metal pieces so you could run a QR.They just kind of stuck in there like a puzzle piece and they always fell out and putting a wheel back on was as fun as a dry rectal exam.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
DHS said:
you should have them put the ISCG mounts on it. so everyone can use a 118 bb with their guides.

thats about the last "update" id do to an army, its a great frame but theres more urgent updates to do to it, brian is on the case though it looks like, with the dropout for instance