Quantcast

Attention Tonyhawk, Splat and other Giro Switchblade owners/wearers

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That mouthguard looks scary-flimsy. I wouldn't trust it to protect my face from a branch, let alone a rock.

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
The switchblade was a poor product. Mine really didnt last very well, its just a false sense of security. If you want a full face that wont be restrictive just get a nice expensive caron fiber one that fits properly.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Mattoid said:
The switchblade was a poor product. Mine really didnt last very well, its just a false sense of security.
I don't think it was necessarily a poor product, I just think a lot of people didn't understand what it was to be used for. It was a helmet - a normal helmet - with enough protection to prevent your chin from getting scraped up if you slid in the dirt or whatever.

Unfortunately, people saw it and thought it afforded as much protection as a good full face. It was more like a "chin scrape guard" than anything that would protect you in a crash. Fine for aggressive trail riding - hey, more protection is always better right? - but not so good for when you should have been wearing a full face helmet in the first place.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Wearing a real full-face is impossible for most XC rides. A light weight full face won't protect you on a DH run, but would be more protection than the Giro Xen or the Semi MX for a trail ride.

I wonder where most of the crashes below the crown occur, on your face or the back of the head. I would think the face and obviously you want to protect it more than the back. I think the Giros are based on BMX helmets, where you could crash any part of your head.

However, I am sure the reason why American companies have not issued a lightweight full-face is the insurance: some idiot would buy one and head to the local ski slope. Met Helmets are Italian, not surprisingly.

http://www.met-helmets.com/ProdottiDet.jsp?idrub=142&idcat=13

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I also found this on the Met Helmet site (note the highlighted passages):

http://www.met-helmets.com/rivenditori/Distributori.jsp?zona=8&idana=1086

Madam, Sir,

we have to inform you that MET S.p.A., producer of the MET helmets, have decided not to export their helmets to North-America (Canada and United States of America). As a supplier of helmets throughout the world, MET have to ensure that their products pass the different safety standards that apply in the countries in which they are sold. MET helmets do not meet just one of these standards but all of them, whether it is Europe, Japan, or Australia, for instance. Nevertheless, we have noted that some court decisions about product liability in some countries, especially USA and Canada penalize manufacturers for damages that may be suffered by a consumer involved in an accident. This, sometimes, occurs regardless of the quality of the product, and the safety it actually provides. Moreover, judicial costs and attorney's fees are very burdensome in North America. It being confirmed that MET products are fully UE regulations, safety standards and state of the art compliant, MET S.p.A., as a family business, not run yan obscure international financial conglomerate but by people, individuals working together, side by side, each and every day, have decided to keep their products out of the North-American market, and to spend time, money and energy in product research and development, not lawyers and trails. Anyone who would violate MET S.p.A above decision, and would import Met helmet in North-America will be exclusively responsible for any legal consequence involving MET helmets. We thank you for your interest and for taking the time to contact us. We are confident that you will find a suitable helmet among the products available on your home market.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
binary visions said:
I don't think it was necessarily a poor product, I just think a lot of people didn't understand what it was to be used for. It was a helmet - a normal helmet - with enough protection to prevent your chin from getting scraped up if you slid in the dirt or whatever.
Exactly how Splat and Tonyhawk were/are using their Switchblades - for aggressive XC and a little extra jaw protection.

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
That mouthguard does look pretty flimsy, depending on what it's made from. I'd wanna see one in person before dropping $125 on it.

My Switchblade has held up fine for what I use it for - XC rides. I've had one broken jaw in my lifetime, and that was one too many, so I wear the full-face protection for regular XC rides most of the year (except when it gets really hot). So far it has done it's job.

The Switchblade is definitely not for DHing - that's why I've got a DH helmet also.

splat

Nam I am
I wore my switchblade more as just a little bit of extra protection for my Mouth , I have put way too much $$$ in to my teeth. and I never used it for down hill , just XC riding. but that was the problem according to Giro , Too many people were using it as a Downhill helmet.

But alas My Switch Blade has been retired after I did an OTB on the Dalton Pre-ride last year.