Quantcast

attn: New Englanders

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
I'm working on a work project... I can't say what it is, but I do have a question. What signifies New England to you? More specifically Boston...I'm not looking for famous figures from Boston, more along the lines of places, food, general atmosphere etc. Any ideas?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Like a lot of places, it really depends on your exact location and socio-economic status. I have a tendency to dress pretty well and was told I dress "New England style" tonight. If I wear a button down shirt here (SoCal) people ask if I'm going to a job interview or something. Then again, I doubt that half of my family has ever worn a tie (Ever seen The Departed or Gone Baby Gone? My dad is from Revere, mom from East Boston; I grew up mostly in NJ, but most of my family lives in MA). My grandmother's funeral in East Boston a few years ago was bumped to the next day due to a conflict with a Patriots game. :rolleyes:

As far as food, Italian is a pretty big deal. I was shocked to go into an Italian market here that had no real fresh mozzarella, so-so prosciutto and no real decent bread. Don't see many good bakeries out here either, in CA.

I think you need to PM CrabJoeStretchPants.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Just past the Hudson River going east you enter a strange land of indifference and bravado that only can get tamed by another more indifferent and possibly drunk person hurtling at breakneck speed towards you in an automobile. Triple deckers, The T, and way crowded townie drinking parlours are a big part of it.
It's a mindset more then anything. Life is a struggle. The harder you tame the struggle the more they will respect you. As an example Gangsterism is a highly respected way to make a living there, and thrives there to this day. Whereas it has faded most everywhere else. New England is Boston and its neighborhoods in its urban form. Northern NH/Maine in its rural form.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Boston has the benefit of actually being a pretty small, and therefore eminently walkable city. one can cover a lot of ground, from Chinatown to the waterfront, north end, through the commons and public garden, down back bay and into the south end.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
The commons on a sunny summer day and a trip north to Kelly's for some sidewalk fried clams
you go to the Clam Box in Rowley. Kelly's quality has gone downhill. there are a few places on the North Shore to get lobster in the ruff and not just Woodmans. I grew up in Revere so at one time Kelly's was the place to go but not anymore. The Common is not a bad place to hang and people watch, so is the Esplanade. then going to Boylston St to a bar and have a few beers.

plus true Bostonians are always irritated at someone or something. especially tourists or any out of towners for that matter. i love the response for directions of "up 2 streets and take a left"

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2003
Eat, ME
I think of Manny Ramirez and Ben Affleck and Dane Cook. That is all.
But didn't they all move away?

I think what you're seeing here is that there isn't a single thing, it's all of them. Within the confines of New England we have: world class beaches, world class seafood, THE best autumn foliage display on the planet, the rocky coast of Maine, some of the most brutal mountains in North America (they ain't big, but command respect) world class hospitals, universities, medical research and biomedical industry, Kingdom Trails, Tanglewood, etc, etc, etc. and all accompanied by unintelligble accents! What more could anyone ask for

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
But didn't they all move away?

I think what you're seeing here is that there isn't a single thing, it's all of them. Within the confines of New England we have: world class beaches, world class seafood, THE best autumn foliage display on the planet, the rocky coast of Maine, some of the most brutal mountains in North America (they ain't big, but command respect) world class hospitals, universities, medical research and biomedical industry, Kingdom Trails, Tanglewood, etc, etc, etc. and all accompanied by unintelligble accents! What more could anyone ask for
And Fluff!

Jul 28, 2003
Eat, ME
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

That's a good one.
Quick scan of some other summits in the continental US Long's 20F 30mph wind, Rainier 14F, 25mph wind Mt Washington -15F 62mph wind wind chill of -54F. Not to diss the others, but Mt Washington and the winter climbing areas in NE commands the respect of most accomplished mountaineers. That's what I meant by brutal.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Quick scan of some other summits in the continental US Long's 20F 30mph wind, Rainier 14F, 25mph wind Mt Washington -15F 62mph wind wind chill of -54F. Not to diss the others, but Mt Washington and the winter climbing areas in NE commands the respect of most accomplished mountaineers. That's what I meant by brutal.
Mt Washington is a great mountain to climb in the winter, I have done it twice and way too many times in the summer. It is nasty but not brutal.
I have done a ton of mountaineering in the winter in NE, the Long Trail twice and the Appalachian Trail.
There have been much worse summits and trails that I have done in the US and this is coming from a Vermonter that lived in NE for 19 years.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Mt Washington is a great mountain to climb in the winter, I have done it twice and way too many times in the summer. It is nasty but not brutal.
I have done a ton of mountaineering in the winter in NE, the Long Trail twice and the Appalachian Trail.
There have been much worse summits and trails that I have done in the US and this is coming from an e-douche that lived in NE for 19 years.
fixed

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
hey guys, awesome responses so far. My girlfriend and I moved to los angeles from Boston back in July and absolutely hate it (and the people) out here. we're kind of putting together a Boston group out here of all relocated people stuck out here that miss the awesomeness of new england. I'll keep everyone posted as to what the project is and what's happening :) thanks!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
hey guys, awesome responses so far. My girlfriend and I moved to los angeles from Boston back in July and absolutely hate it (and the people) out here. we're kind of putting together a Boston group out here of all relocated people stuck out here that miss the awesomeness of new england. I'll keep everyone posted as to what the project is and what's happening :) thanks!
what part of LA?

i lasted a little bit over a year out there. i'm back on the east coast.

and like you, most of my friends there were transplants.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Just got back from an overnighter on Mt. Moosilauke. Temps were hovering around -15 or so up at the tent site. Luckily no wind. The Mt. Adams trip we did in October on the other hand had temps in the single digits with steady winds at 35-40mph and gusts about 70-80mph up at/near the summit. Craziest change in weather I've ever experienced, considering it was in the 40s and sunny at the base.

And as far as Rufus' CO transplant arrogance.......I'm on 14ers.com, and I've read many 14er climbers say some of the peaks in the White Mtns are some of the toughest weather-wise in the winter in the country. Many refer to the weather winter as "Himalayan" at it's worst. They're small, but they pack a punch.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2003
Eat, ME
Just got back from an overnighter on Mt. Moosilauke. Temps were hovering around -15 or so up at the tent site. Luckily no wind. The Mt. Adams trip we did in October on the other hand had temps in the single digits with steady winds at 35-40mph and gusts about 70-80mph up at/near the summit. Craziest change in weather I've ever experienced, considering it was in the 40s and sunny at the base.
I almost lost my feet to frostbite after we got caught in a storm on Mt Washington one January while we were soloing all the Huntington's gullies in a day. Had done this several times before, but no storm threat turned ugly and we were benighted in a whiteout. Once the storm cleared around midnight, the temps dropped to -20. I think my characterization of brutal might have been over the top, but my time here in the Whites stood me in good stead in Alaska and the Alps. Some of the top alpinists in the world live and climb here (Kevin Mahoney, Ben Glimore, Mark Synott, Henry Barber to name a few.