Quantcast

attn SS speed freaks, and surly 1x1 owners

Apr 1, 2002
NY
thinkin im gonna venture into the SS world. i know nothing of gear ratios. ill b mostly using for road/bike path riding. gonna do a flip flop hub.

also any surly 1x1 owners, post some pics.
thanks, dave

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
der...i don't own a 1x1 but i sell them:D
i'll see if i can get a few pics of the ones from the shop.
As for my own SS i run a 34/16 or a 34/17 depending on what i'm doing.

On my comuter/track bike i run a 42/17 or 42/16 also depending on what i'm doing!

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=142440

http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=142451

Might I suggest the Karate Monkey for mountain bike, road, and path use? I love mine, I've hit up 25 mile singletrack rides and did a century on the road this weekend, it's the best bike ever.

I run the flip flop hub, but with a track cog on one side. I currently run 32/16 freewheel and 32/13 track. I think I'm going to get a 39 tooth front ring for road riding and tracking it up, I like the higher gears. The 32/16 is a good all day gear, but it spins out really really quickly. I would suggest going down a step or two if you are riding flats most of the time(I love the 32/13 for most stuff in the city.

I would recommend a Surly to anyone. The bikes is very well made, handles well(not like a Hunter or othe custom made steel bike, but the entire build cost less than the Hunter frames). It likes dirt and road and can even handle some small jumping and drops if the trail calls for it. The frame is not light, but lighter than I thought. My bike weighs 24 pounds with a fairly heavy set up, very nice.

If you want more info let me know, but for what you describe I highly suggest the Karate Monkey, it is a do anything bike.

The Ito

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I second the 42/17 for commuting/paved path riding. It seems to be stiff enough for moderate speed, but still not too tough on the hills. Get yourself some skinny slicks too. I like the Ritchey "Tom Slicks."

Apr 1, 2002
NY
ito - smooth ride!
bike geek, thanks for the second.

iduno, i think i still want the 1x1. i dont want to deal w/ that 29/700c stuff. if anything, not that it matters that much, i have a set of 1.7 larsons tt ready to go ;) who knows, keep the pics comin! thanks, dave

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I didnt really plan my 34/16 but it works great for me. I ride XC trails & tool around the city on mine.

Ito-nice ride!

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Imagestation has been giving me fits, so this pic might not show. Sometimes cutting and pasting the url will work.

jon cross

Monkey
Jan 27, 2004
Banner Elk, NC
BUY A 1x1!!!

I can't say enough good things about this bike. I am a racer, kind of obsessive about weight because of that, but I still am playing around with getting a derailleur tab welded onto my 1x1 for race use- even though the frame is 2 pounds heavier than my current rig. The frames ride well and if you ran disc brakes, you could easily fit 700c tires into the 1x1 for 'cross or road riding. I gear mine anywhere from 42x19 (racing, hard riding in hilly courses) to 32x15 (for longer climbs, cruising around campus and town) depending... These bikes are simply fantastic, what else can I say.

Apr 1, 2002
NY
ito - i have decided on a karate monkey, jus makes sense. i think what convinced me was i saw a 29 in fisher that was brought in for disc brakes at my shop. thing is, mine will b cooler ;)

Jan 15, 2002
Suburban MA, USA
A few of us ride alot of SS MTB. If you are planning on riding it on actual MTB trails with steep ups and downs, you may want to venture under the "norm" of a 2:1 ratio. We all run 32:18 which works fine for all but the super steep and loose junk. Some will argue that this is too low but on the trails we have here in the NorthEast, I never spin out.

Also, you can use this ratio for the road/flats at a solid 18mph pace though you are spinning like mad. I max out at about 21mph with 16mph being comfortable. Typically on extended faster road we'll spin up to 20mph and coast down to like 16mph and back up, and coast and spin and ...

Heck, we even did two 25 mile road hill rides on the SS' this past week. It's all good ;)

-Couch

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Originally posted by eastcoastzigzag
ito - i have decided on a karate monkey, jus makes sense. i think what convinced me was i saw a 29 in fisher that was brought in for disc brakes at my shop. thing is, mine will b cooler ;)
Good choice!

On the topic of singlespeed....I rode the fixed gear on a 56 mile road ride yesterday. 4000 feet of climbing and then switched over to the freewheel and bombed back down. This bike kicks ass, post pics when you are finished with it.

The Ito

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Originally posted by eastcoastzigzag
ito - i have decided on a karate monkey, jus makes sense.
Why I like that idea:

Singlespeed

Geared 1xX

Easily converted

I highly recommend the versatility.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Originally posted by ito
wooglin, nice ride!

How is it with that 1x9 setup? Any problems with the chain falling of the front?

The Ito
That's actually a 1x7, but no. I've got the front derailleur on, plus I've got the chain pulled pretty tight, plus that's not a ramped chainring. So I don't worry about it.

The folks on the mtbr/ss board recommend an N-gear jumpstop and a bash ring instead of the derailleur. I don't like bash rings but the jumpstop looks pretty cool.