Quantcast

ATTN: Suspension gurus...

LoonyOne

Chimp
Aug 19, 2001
Iowa
I ride a ProFlex 856 that I love. Here's the Q...The shock is a Girvin ODS/coil spring. The damping ability was originally intended for the elastomers that ProFlex used on some models. I have had the shock apart and changed the oil with the only weight I had...15w, versus the 30w (I think) that was in it. I kinda knew that it was too thin, but that leads me to why I am posting this. Does anyone know enuff about suspension damping to recommend a way to 'beef up' the damping, providing me with more damping abilities? By the way, I have two of these shocks, so if I tinker with one, I still have a good one that works. The cheapest way would be to greaten the weight of oil, but why spend $15 on a quart of shock oil I'll never use if it doesn't work.

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
Be careful if you change weights of oil. It can really mess up your rebound if its too thick. The best thing to do is call the manufactuer and ask what the heaviest wieght the shock can tolerate would be.

Have you looked at motorcycle fork oil? I found it was much cheeper than oil from RockShox/Manitou etc etc.Also I think you can get it in smaller quantitys.I use PJ1 oil (not sure if you can get this where you are) and it's great.
Hope this helps.

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
Originally posted by LoonyOne
I ride a ProFlex 856 that I love. Here's the Q...The shock is a Girvin ODS/coil spring. The damping ability was originally intended for the elastomers that ProFlex used on some models. I have had the shock apart and changed the oil with the only weight I had...15w, versus the 30w (I think) that was in it. I kinda knew that it was too thin, but that leads me to why I am posting this. Does anyone know enuff about suspension damping to recommend a way to 'beef up' the damping, providing me with more damping abilities? By the way, I have two of these shocks, so if I tinker with one, I still have a good one that works. The cheapest way would be to greaten the weight of oil, but why spend $15 on a quart of shock oil I'll never use if it doesn't work.
Send a PM to Nobody..... He is a big time suspension Guru.....

Sep 10, 2001
New Zealand
How much you can do depends on the guts of your shock.

If it's a shim stack design then altering the damping is as simple as adding more shims, or as hard as finding more shims to add.

Other not so nice options include using a punch to deform and restrict any metering holes and other related "fixes"