Quantcast

Attn Trail builders: GPS?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I'm feeling the need for some sort of GPS system. I really don't know what I need as I know NOTHING about them. Can you program a general area layout into it then have it track your progress through the area? Basically, I'm finding killer lines on unprepared rides, then losing them when I come back equipped to cut the routes in. I would also like one for the normal reason others want them.
What do I want and where can I get it the cheapest?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Wow...I'm going to just buy a pen and a notebook, because I am NOT smart enough to understand ANY of this stuff! Geez, followed that link that DaveW sent me to and I got SOOOO lost! WTF are they even talking about?? From what I gathered, I think they are building a bomb and sending it to McDonalds, but I COULD be wrong...
And thanks, Jozz, I'm going to check that one out. That's kinda what I needed...a "get this one, stupid..." :help:

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
there's a cool book out there that translates the geek-gps-speak into more simple terms, and also goes through the software optionswith screen shots, gives recommendation for software based on what kind of maps you want to make, explains the various functions and how to use them etc. NAYY, I just like the book

http://makeyourownmaps.com/

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Wow..that's awesome. Perfect, in fact! Now I just have to choose between a new hardtail or this Garmin 60CX... I hate choices.
Hey, Geargrrl...? Do you sell a lot of stuff on Ebay? Like vids and such? If so, I think I've bought a bunch from you. Thumbs up! If not, I'm just a dork, ignore me...

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
THRILLSEEKA said:
Wow..that's awesome. Perfect, in fact! Now I just have to choose between a new hardtail or this Garmin 60CX... I hate choices.
Hey, Geargrrl...? Do you sell a lot of stuff on Ebay? Like vids and such? If so, I think I've bought a bunch from you. Thumbs up! If not, I'm just a dork, ignore me...

I guess you are a dork.:) I make gear, don't sell it on ebay ever.

gg

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
geargrrl said:
there's a cool book out there that translates the geek-gps-speak into more simple terms, and also goes through the software optionswith screen shots, gives recommendation for software based on what kind of maps you want to make, explains the various functions and how to use them etc. NAYY, I just like the book

http://makeyourownmaps.com/

I bought this book (upon your recommendation) for my husband and I ended up getting him a Garmin Legend GPS. He's still figuring it out, but is enjoying it none-the-less.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
DaveW said:
Bummer. :(

Is it totaly broken or just a temporary glitch?
I'm going to try new batteries first. It should have had enough juice, but I was unable to find any sattelites. Normaly it should have picked up 5-6 signals. :(