Quantcast

Attn: Turner DHR Owners

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Hello to all,

So heres the deal. I have 2 seperate offers to trade a Turner DHR for my V10. I am currently looking for a lighter, less travel more flickable dh frame. My V10 was great and all but I think the plow through everything aspect got to me and slowed me down. I need to gain some finess and would also like a lighter ride.

I currently ride a Large V10 which has a 24.7" effective top tube. The bike feels pretty good, a little big and really long. I am 6'3'' and definetly used to riding smaller bikes. My other bikes (geekhouse) (bmx) both have 21.5" top tubes which feel pretty good.

DHR #1 is a 2002 Large, the 2004 Turner site says Large frames have a 22.6" actual top tube length. Coming from a big bike this seems like it would be more comfortable while sitting down, but I am dh riding, not sitting down. This frame also has an 18" BB to Seat Clamp height. Does that figure out to be like a normal 18" frame?

DHR #2 is a 2002 Medium, Turner site says it has a 21.5" actual top tube length. My other bikes including a Geekhousse hardtail and Brooklyn Machine Works bmx have this same exact top tube length. On the bmx bike my arms are pretty much locked while reaching for the bars sitting down. Given the shorter lengths I feel like I will be able to throw this bike around more which is an aspect I like. The BB to Seat Clamp height is 16.8", would this figure out to feel like a 17" frame?

These are the given deals:

DHR #1 2002 Large Silver Turner DHR w/ Romic Shock
Cane Creek Reducer headset
Seatpost
Rear Wheel

DHR #2 2002 Medium Blue Turner DHR w? Avalanche Shock
Chris King Headset
Seatpost
Deemax Wheelset

Now DHR #2 is definetly way more appealing the size still concerns me. If I know the effective top tube lengths of each DHR I could compare that with the V10, Also if I knew the actual top tube length of the V10 that would help aswell.

I am definetly liking the idea of DHR #2 more. Before my V10 I rode an 18" RM7 which was an awsome bike. Everything felt really nice. If I went with DHR #2 would there be anyways to make the bike feel bigger? I was thinking a stem on the longer side, maybe a Thomson Laid Back post...

Help me decide which frame to go with. Give me all the info you know and also experience. Thanks

Dan

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Why am I thinking bike #1 is not a 2002?......

Romic shock, silver color.....and 2002 bikes had 1 1/8 headtubes making a reducing cane creek headset impossible and unecessary. Sounds like a 2003.

If they are both 2002, that year was a little shorter than most other bikes and I'd say go with a large. I had a 2003 and they had some breakage issues at the main pivot bearing housing and the stock swing link.

What I always do to figure out sizes since I consider top tube measurements irrrelevant on anything that's not a road bike is take a downtube measurement. BB spindle to headtube, the point where a line through the center of the headtube intersects a line from the BB. This is a more accurate measurement to compare with your existing bikes since you really are going to need a comparison between your feet and hands, not where a seat ends up.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I've got a 02 Large DHR and I'm 6'4. I hated it. Too short in the top tube, too steep in the head angle, and too short in the wheel base. You really have to weight the front end to get that thing to steer properly and in Southern California a heavily weighted front end is a big no no especially with the loose powdery dirt we have. I just could never get used to the bike. I think if you are as tall as you say you are...stick with the v10...cuz the Med DHR will definitely be too short.

I also ride a 20.6" TT BMX bike, a Terrible one. The reason why I think I can ride that bike well is that despite having a short TT it has a steep Head angle which IMO makes if rideable. I've ridden a GT Ruckus with a 21" TT but with a slack head angle and it just plain sucked, made the bike feel like the front tire was way out there in front of the bike. I find I get the same feeling when I ride short DH bikes becuse of their short TT and Slack HA.

Now I've heard that the Newer DHRs have addressed all the problems that I had with Mine...with one exception...the TTs are still shorter. I'm currently riding a 04 Foes Mono Large I and absolutely love it.

Stick with what you got or trade for an 03 and up.

Geoff G.

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
scituate mass
you should probably try tradeing it for an 04' dhr, i've seen a few on here that are relitively in expensive (like oly's)

i do like the look of the 02' though, and i may be purchaseing one in the near future. if you do get an 02' don't trade the v-10 for it, because the v-10 is worth alot more.

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
I have a large 2001 or 2002 model, and im 190cm tall (about 6'3 i think) and im comfortable with it. I like the steep head angle and low bb height. Then again we prolly have a lot different dh tracks in Sweden and i am also not the most experience dh-racer.

if you are tall, the medium i think would be too short for you.

Geoff also raises a very valid point you have to consider. the older dhr's go very cheap nowadays were the v-10 is still worth quite abit more.

Maybe this post didnt say much but i thought it couldnt hurt either.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
kidwoo said:
What I always do to figure out sizes since I consider top tube measurements irrrelevant on anything that's not a road bike is take a downtube measurement. BB spindle to headtube, the point where a line through the center of the headtube intersects a line from the BB. This is a more accurate measurement to compare with your existing bikes since you really are going to need a comparison between your feet and hands, not where a seat ends up.
Thats some of the best advise I heard in a while. I did this when I sized up my canfield. The effective TT was said to be 1" shorter than my old bike, but the BB-HT measurement was .75in longer. The new bike fits me more comfortably than my old one, even though it supposedly has 1" shorter effective TT

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Brian HCM#1 said:
Because you finally bought a frame that actually fits you.
the Karp was small, it wasnt supposed to be, lets not get into that. The nicolai fit me nicely, and the f1 feels almost the same size wise. Im 6'-3" yet I still ride medium sized bikes, I like smaller frames, used to BMX

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Curb Hucker said:
the Karp was small, it wasnt supposed to be, lets not get into that. The nicolai fit me nicely, and the f1 feels almost the same size wise. Im 6'-3" yet I still ride medium sized bikes, I like smaller frames, used to BMX
I know, I just rermember explaining to you about the funky Karpiel sizing that you needed at least a Med/Lrg. The Nicolai was a med and fit me right too. Face it you F'ed up on the Disco sizing :nope: :p :blah: But anywhoooo I'm looking forward to checking out the new F1:thumb:

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Brian HCM#1 said:
I'm looking forward to checking out the new F1:thumb:
I'll be there closing weekend next summer. Maybe even sooner, Im driving to the Deer Valley national, and I think we're going to go to Virgin and then Tahoe the following weekend (one week after opeining weekend)

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
bah i still need to get u the messurments(sp?) even though it looks like u found em. Been busy.