Quantcast

auburn tunnel trail fubar

D

dwnwrd

It's been a couple weeks since I rode it, and I forgot to post about it then... Anyone know anything about how they dozed a big section of the tunnel trail.

I did notice down on confluence trail there had been a fire, but man that section of tunnel kinda sucks now. It's very wide and flat. :rant:

D

dwnwrd

Yea and all the trail leading up to that after you exit the tunnel. Plus some more after that as i remember. Used to be a couple little short rocky step down like sections. One was gone.

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
I just got back from a small run around the clemintine/tunnel loop on my big bike. I haven't been there since I went on a road trip around two months ago.

There has been a lot of trail work done. I'm not sure what the reasons are behind this, but I can tell you what's been changed between when I was there last and now.

Everything up until the tunnel is fine. Even that double at the beginning of the downhill is still there.

However, that small log/double gig <i>right</i> after the tunnel is no more. It's been plowed and, thanks to whomever did it, so is a LARGE part of the trail. It's still obvious where to go, but a bunch of the brush and plant life is missing. It's like when they were taking out the log gap, they decided to plow everything around that within a 20 foot radius.

The little uphill climb after that is now made up of loose dirt. It looks as though, after it levels out after that, that someone was trying to build a new trail perpindicular to tunnel. There is a bunch of up-turned soil leading away from the trail into the bushes. That soil-trail is something like seven feet wide and is pretty obvious.

That rock garden turnish thing seems to be really dusty now. That's probably just from use in the dry season, though.

There used to be a small drop right before a right hand turn. That's been plowed.

The big left hand turn right before the road crossing is still a little iffy. They have fencing up and everything.

Everything after the turn up until the road has been plowed. Most of the rocks seem to be missing and you just have a bunch of choppy dirt.

The classic double-to-traffic has been been cut down a lot.

Everything after the road seems to be in okay shape. Even the stepdown at the beginning is still there.

Does anyone live close enough to auburn to be hip to the local going-ons? If this trail work is done as a result of public concern, I'd be willing to organize and attend a few meetings.

Ohh! I hear there is going to be a MTB skills park built right next to the folsom skate park. The build day is on Nov 4th. I'll post more about it when I get word.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Yeah but you have to pay $2 bucks to ride and helmets are mandatory in Folsom.
As for Auburn, just rode it yesterday. They trail work looks to be because of the fire for the most part and just maintenance. I think we should put some doubles after the big left before the road and maybe build up the left with a fatty burm bustah.

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
I could see some berms. What I liked about the older trail work was how it allowed riders to take multiple routes -- easy outs -- and it still didn't get in the way of other, non-biking, traffic. I'd have no problem working on the trail if a trail day was set up. I'm just not sure about how legal it would be.

Yeah, and the folsom stuff probably won't be that big of a deal. The park that it's going to be in isn't exactly that hilly, and I have a feeling that once it's built, not many people will maintain it. Look at the BMX track next to the skatepark, for instence. I'm pretty sure it's been maintenence free for the past year or so, and it wasn't even put together that well to begin with.

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
Problem is, you have FATRAC and some whiners over on mtbr.com that beeotch and moan about the trail when things are built.

The big left before the road had a nice lil jump into the leftie berm and that was fenced off pretty quickly. Most stuff gets torn down or fenced due to people beeotchn about it.

I've been up there on my trail bike and listened to people beeotch about the big bikes on the trail etc..

I was up there yesterday afternoon shuttling and stopped to really look. The trail pretty much got torn up when they had the fire up there so I'm thinking the dozer came through.

EDIT: I was able to get this Sunday and am going to try to get some friends to shuttle, so if anyone else is going to be up there I wouldn't mind hooking up for some runs.

Dan_ger

Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
East Bay
Problem is, you have FATRAC and some whiners over on mtbr.com that beeotch and moan about the trail when things are built.

The big left before the road had a nice lil jump into the leftie berm and that was fenced off pretty quickly. Most stuff gets torn down or fenced due to people beeotchn about it.

I've been up there on my trail bike and listened to people beeotch about the big bikes on the trail etc..

I was up there yesterday afternoon shuttling and stopped to really look. The trail pretty much got torn up when they had the fire up there so I'm thinking the dozer came through.

EDIT: I'm going to try and get Saturday and Sunday off this weekend and try to shuttle with some friends so if anyone else is going to be up there I wouldn't mind hooking up for some runs.
I don't know about anyone whining unless it's about how the hill's going to run into the road with some of the unsustainable stuff that's being built.

Anyway, the recent bulldozing had to do with getting fire equipment up the hill for a recent brush fire. I imagine that they're going to try to keep it that way.

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
We changed the shuttle to Monday, mid-morning. It's easier on everyone.

Not too mention, since my wife has the day off as well, I am going to let her sleep in and due the breakfast thing with my son so it definately won't be until after 10am.