Quantcast

Audi / EuroMonkeys: Thoughts on an Audi A3 Kombi as a bike hauler?

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Bought a vw passat variant (my 2nd one) a while back. Previous one was a 2.4 v5 but I decided to go 2.8 vr6 4motion this time. It drinks like a sailor on leave but it sure is fun and comfy on the autobahn.
Fits 4 people with bikes and I can sleep in it on an airbed next to my bike when i put the seats down.

Score.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Bought a vw passat variant (my 2nd one) a while back. Previous one was a 2.4 v5 but I decided to go 2.8 vr6 4motion this time. It drinks like a sailor on leave but it sure is fun and comfy on the autobahn.
Fits 4 people with bikes and I can sleep in it on an airbed next to my bike when i put the seats down.

Score.
i looked for a passat wagon forever.....settled and got inline 5 jetta sportwagen...will be sleeping in it for two weeks in acadia national park in october.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
My gf has a VW Golf VI 2.0 TDI 4motion. They only came with sports chassis.
That car is sooo much fun driving switchbacks or on snow, it's unreal. It drives like a fvcking go kart with 4-wheel steering. And it absolutely murders on snow. I remember one time going to my parents in the evening to be in the ski resort the next day as it snowed heavily. Started snowing at around 800 meters above sea level and my parents farm is at around 1450m. Steepest parts of the street have a pitch of 15%. There was like 15cm of pow on the streets and almost no other cars. The few cars we passed had to have snowchains on. We were just on winter tires. You could basically drive the car like it was a dry street.
Probably the most fun I have ever had in a car.

Could it have more horsepower? Yes, but the 150hp is the best compromise between mileage per liter, power, weight and reliability.
Just sold my dirty 1.9 Diesel Golf and that thing was such a great allrounder. I looked at the Golf R Variant as a replacement, but these don't come with a trailer hitch. I'm in a new Tiguan currently (neg rep away), which is a really nice car but not exactly dynamic. I hope that following Dieselgate, we'll finally get a GTI wagon again instead of just the GTD. A nice roomy Golf wagon with 220+ HP is all the car I'll ever need.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Just sold my dirty 1.9 Diesel Golf and that thing was such a great allrounder. I looked at the Golf R Variant as a replacement, but these don't come with a trailer hitch. I'm in a new Tiguan currently (neg rep away), which is a really nice car but not exactly dynamic. I hope that following Dieselgate, we'll finally get a GTI wagon again instead of just the GTD. A nice roomy Golf wagon with 220+ HP is all the car I'll ever need.
I'm sure you could find a receiver for the Golf R. Almost everything can be had with one in Europe and it's usually a matter of just looking hard.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I'm sure you could find a receiver for the Golf R. Almost everything can be had with one in Europe and it's usually a matter of just looking hard.
I looked into it and while it would technically be possible to retrofit one, this type of alteration needs to be registered and certified in Germany. The problem is that VW doesn't specify a towing capacity for the R, which means that I would need to have the car extensively tested to get a certification, which amounts to several thousands of Euros. Not worth it unfortunately.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I looked into it and while it would technically be possible to retrofit one, this type of alteration needs to be registered and certified in Germany. The problem is that VW doesn't specify a towing capacity for the R, which means that I would need to have the car extensively tested to get a certification, which amounts to several thousands of Euros. Not worth it unfortunately.
This. Total pita here in yurp. Just imagine what amount of horsesh!t that creates in Italy...:shakefist:

My daily driver is a Passat B8 by the way. Company car, 2.0D with 150HP. Drives around 1300km with 60liters. Can't complain. I'd probably would buy one for myself.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
If I am not mistaken, the VWs you get in EU are quite different from what we're getting served in the US, definitely positioned higher up in the market.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah that sucks. While VW does say the R is not to be used for towing in the US as well, it does not say that a hitch cannot be installed for bike racks, and in the US no one cares about these types of things. So I have one.

As much fun as the R can be, it's a bit harsh for a DD, and the cargo area is the bare minimum that works for me. I can fit one bike inside with just the front wheel removed, and two bikes if the second one has both wheels removed. Since the US will never get an R or GTI wagon, I may trade the R next year for an Alltrack instead. I previously owned a first gen allroad and do like the "do it all wagon" as my only car.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've never understood why the VWs are so popular with some, the only one I would consider is the R, the only one without front-wheel-drive.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've never understood why the VWs are so popular with some, the only one I would consider is the R, the only one without front-wheel-drive.
I have a ten year old run of the mill GTI. At the time it offered the best combination of utility/performance/quality/comfort/price by a huge margin. Other available hatchbacks either lacked any amusing levels of power or had the refinement of a Fischer Price scooty puff. As small turbos have become ubiquitous other manufacturers have closed the gap, but if I was in the market for a new car I would probably end up with another GTI.
Also VW is the one manufacturer that still offers a manual transmission in pretty much every model.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
because i've never had a lemon from them

72 beetle
80 rabbit 105,000 miles wrecked
85 GTI 170,000 miles wrecked
92 jetta 170,000 miles wore out sold
88 GTI....younger brothers car...... 216,000....parted out...the head from this car is going into older brothers vw pick up
65 beetle transmission exploded
93 passat glx wagon.....200,000 miles...had NB and coupe
85 jetta coupe...sold...someone offered me money
00 new beetle.....free...190,000 miles...sold
2014 jetta sportwagen

only the new beetle was a pain...take apart the front end for water pump....relatively cheap.....reliable.

only non vw cars i have had....

72 datsun 510 sw
77 toyota land cruiser
05 honda pilot.

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have a ten year old run of the mill GTI. At the time it offered the best combination of utility/performance/quality/comfort/price by a huge margin. Other available hatchbacks either lacked any amusing levels of power or had the refinement of a Fischer Price scooty puff. As small turbos have become ubiquitous other manufacturers have closed the gap, but if I was in the market for a new car I would probably end up with another GTI.
Also VW is the one manufacturer that still offers a manual transmission in pretty much every model.
A used 2016 Golf GTI in Denmark is $77,000 :-(

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Is the GTI the one brand that VW cannot afford to screw up in the US? When our Beetle nearly died a few weeks ago, I was evaluating what other small-ish fun car with gobs of power, a stick and non-zero utility I can get here and the choices aren't many. The GTI looked like a winner.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
my wife and i both had passatts for a while. 02/03...they were great up to 120k miles or so, then shit started getting expensive. drove a gti as a loaner once. it was ok but not really that much funner than my passatt, i didn't think. had a passatt as a rental back in 2012 or so. i recall it being rather meh...

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Golf GTIs (preferably 4motion) are a blast on curvy streets and in real mountains. If you only do straights and 90 degree turns there are better options I reckon.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Agreed, I won't buy another FWD car, which is why I went for the R. But now the Golf Sportwagen and Alltrack wagon are available in AWD as well, so there are multiple choices for once!

True, but my one regret with the R is getting a manual. The car was clearly designed around the DSG transmission and they just threw in a manual option to make the die hard manual fans happy.

Golf GTIs (preferably 4motion) are a blast on curvy streets and in real mountains. If you only do straights and 90 degree turns there are better options I reckon.
Totally agree here. It's very rare that I get to push the R anywhere close to its limits, or even to a level that is fun, in day to day driving. It's fast enough on straights but that gets old quick anyway.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Agreed, I won't buy another FWD car, which is why I went for the R. But now the Golf Sportwagen and Alltrack wagon are available in AWD as well, so there are multiple choices for once!

True, but my one regret with the R is getting a manual. The car was clearly designed around the DSG transmission and they just threw in a manual option to make the die hard manual fans happy.

Totally agree here. It's very rare that I get to push the R anywhere close to its limits, or even to a level that is fun, in day to day driving. It's fast enough on straights but that gets old quick anyway.
How often do you get the Haldex clutch to send torque to the rear wheels on dry pavement? The R is still a FWD car most of the time.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Is the GTI the one brand that VW cannot afford to screw up in the US? When our Beetle nearly died a few weeks ago, I was evaluating what other small-ish fun car with gobs of power, a stick and non-zero utility I can get here and the choices aren't many. The GTI looked like a winner.
there are some vw people who will say any GTI after 92 is an abortion...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I have just bought a C63.

Few cars (short of the RS Porsches) have the brutish quality of it.
Heavy steering, harsh suspension (even in Comfort mode); but god when you floor it....... my 3 year old son loves it.
today i sat in the worst traffic jam ever.
took me 1 hour and 36 minutes to drive 6 miles to work; thought about leaving the car in the street and walk 2 miles to work; but an AMG sitting in the streets of Lima just asks to be vandalized....

37.3 liters per 100km; or 6,3 mpg. worst mileage I have ever seen in a car.
Love the car though.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Was in crazy traffic last weekend getting back from my big AM ride. Motorcycle rider accident evidently. My next car has to have the active cruise control like my current, for traffic, slow creeping and stop n start, it rules. Takes a lot of pressure off in those situations. But yah, AMG.

took me 1 hour and 36 minutes to drive 6 miles to work; thought about leaving the car in the street and walk 2 miles to work; but an AMG sitting in the streets of Lima just asks to be vandalized....

Love the car though.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

Love the car though.

What is this "P R N D" indicator about? :think:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Automatic shifting.
@ALEXIS_DH Did you never stop the engine? Isn't there some kind of start&stop automatic involved? What car is it actually? C63AMG? :drool:

My Passat has an average of 4.5l/100km or 52,3mpg due to start&stop assist. It's a manual driver, though.
2.0l Diesel, 150hp.
actually. I had the radio on, the AC on (I have a 2 door and the car gets hot inside because of the huge engine) and was charging my phone; didnt want to risk draining the battery in the middle of the worst traffic jam ever.

and yup, thats a C63 AMG.
my 3 years-old (no car seat, as I had just picked him up from kindergarten 5 blocks away and i usually drive my kid around in another car) aproves of this car.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Dude...

My question was, Y U no
View attachment 126538
?
Well, he probably wanted to go fast. If you want to go fast these days, you don't row through a manual. Autos best them now at everything. You get a manual because you use a Motorola brick phone or the car you bought isn't expensive enough for a refined auto, but even that's getting less common.

Fuck manual transmission?
Yeah. I used to love them, but my first van, an Astro, came with a slush box and it convinced me of a couple of things.

1) Automatic transmissions have come a long way, are reasonably efficient, and work well.
2) I have better things to do with my time and attention than manipulating a pedal and lever to connect power to road.
3) In slow or varying speed traffic, auto and A/C are the goddess' gift to mankind.​

I'll drive a stick shift if necessary, but it's an atavistic mechanism favored by sixteen-year-olds.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Dude...

My question was, Y U no
View attachment 126538
?
i wanted an AMG. AMG does not make cars with manual transmissions.
but even if they did, I would not get one.

at wide open throttle, you blow thru 1st gear in a bit over 1 second (it revs up so fast, its kinda hard not to hit the rev limiter actually), 2nd gear lasts less than an extra 2 seconds.
5 seconds at wide open throttle requires at least 3 gear changes.

for everyday driving.... the car in C changes gear at 900-1200rpm... 60mph takes 5 gear changes; i´d be rowing the shifter 10-12 times per mile, and fuck that, i´d rather keep my semi-automatic and avoid a knee replacement when am 60.

now; i used to have a 68 camaro with a 396 big block and a manual 4 speed; and it gets tiresome after a while.
and the camaro had only 4 gears with a very tall 1st/2nd vs 7 gears for modern cars.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
i wanted an AMG. AMG does not make cars with manual transmissions.
but even if they did, I would not get one.

at wide open throttle, you blow thru 1st gear in a bit over 1 second (it revs up so fast, its kinda hard not to hit the rev limiter actually), 2nd gear lasts less than an extra 2 seconds.
5 seconds at wide open throttle requires at least 3 gear changes.

for everyday driving.... the car in C changes gear at 900-1200rpm... 60mph takes 5 gear changes; i´d be rowing the shifter 10-12 times per mile, and fuck that, i´d rather keep my semi-automatic and avoid a knee replacement when am 60.

now; i used to have a 68 camaro with a 396 big block and a manual 4 speed; and it gets tiresome after a while.
and the camaro had only 4 gears with a very tall 1st/2nd vs 7 gears for modern cars.
I see. I rarely need to do 0-60mph in 4s but I frequently like to keep the engine in higher RPMs in mid-speeds before stepping on it and for that, all autos suck, even those with paddle shifters.
#manualforlife