Quantcast

Audi Monkeys

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I am looking to buy a a4 in the next few weeks but cant decide on wich a4 to get. I know the a4's have some problems and i am willing to deal with them, because the price is right on these cars compared to other AWD alternatives.
The 2.8 v6 has more hspwr than the 1.8 turbo but it seems that the 1.8 turbo, while possesing known problems, is easier to tweak with more boost and get more horsepower out of, it is also a lighter and more fuel efficient egine than the 2.8. My question is if i could find a 1.8 turbo are the problems really worth the potential horsepower?
Also, did audi make a 1996 A4 2.8 without AWD? I am looking at one that says it is FWD, and not quattro. Is quattro their AWD badge because i thought it was their special power converting AWD and that most audi's are AWD just not all quattro. Thanks.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Hey man are you looking at the b5 or b6 platform. I have been struggling with an audi purchase for over a year (trying to decide if i want to get one). If you are going to get a b5 a4 i would shy away, audi repairs are crazy expensive and that car never really impressed me that much.

I was looking at an s4 forever, and decided against it simply because of the up keep...

That said i drive a vw and the upkeep on that isnt cheap either...ahh the price of clean euro design...

J

JRB

Hi mack.

I wouldn't mind an Audi, but my AWD will likely have to be a Ford Freestyle, like my stepmother bought.

*I know this didn't help, but I wanted to say hi.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If you're looking for longevity, you should probably stay away from turbos. This may not be your top priority, of course, but a turbo cuts the life of the engine a bit, and you also have the additional potential problems associated with the turbo itself.

Just a thought. I don't know much about the specific cars in question. I do know that quattro is their AWD system, if it ain't quattro, it ain't AWD.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
binary visions said:
If you're looking for longevity, you should probably stay away from turbos. This may not be your top priority, of course, but a turbo cuts the life of the engine a bit, and you also have the additional potential problems associated with the turbo itself.

Just a thought. I don't know much about the specific cars in question. I do know that quattro is their AWD system, if it ain't quattro, it ain't AWD.
Yeah turbo's can be bad news expensive, to replace the k04's in an s4 it will run you about $6,000, im sure the 1.8 is less, but just something to think about.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Doh!! So I typed a whole long reply about my recent purchase of an Audi and why I decided on a B6 1.8T vs the V6 and it was eaten by the cyber gremlins and didn't post.

So, here's my ride: 02 A4 Avant 1.8T w/ APR Stage II, full Oettinger body kit, and H&R coilovers.

http://europeancarweb.com/features/0405ec_a4gmp/

Anyways, the main decision for me was the easy accessibility to 1.8T parts & mods, the lower upkeep costs, and the fact that the 1.8T can be easily mod'd to run with bigger powerplants.

-ska todd

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Wow todd that is your car!?! I love it. I totally agree with the availibility of the 1.8 stuff...

Beautiful...Oettinger makes some of the cleanest stuff out there...

SuperBad

Chimp
Feb 27, 2006
Well I have owned several Audi's. My first was an 86 Coupe Gt, great car, just a bit underpowered: 115HP 5-cylinder. I owned a 91 VW GTi, 98 Audi A4 quattro 1.8T, and 2001 225 Hp TT Quattro Coupe. I love the 1.8 Turbo as it is really cheap to get an initial power boost. That said, Audi repairs are expensive, and sometimes frequent. I traded my TT coupe in for a Honda Element, swapped it and got cash back :) The TT was in the shop almost once a month, never a huge problem, but lots of smaller ones. Gas guage problems, Bypass valve replacements, etc... I sold the car before warrantee expired because all of those shop trips would have cost a fortune. My A4 was much less problematic but it still made numerous trips to the service department. If you are looking at a used Audi, I would consider who owned it and address the usual things, diud they maintain it well? Is the car chipped (turbos only)? If the car has been beat on at all, run away. The 1.8T is a good engine as long as it hasn't been abused. Alot of people chipped their turbos, but when gas prices spiked, they stopped using premium, and that is a bad thing.
As much as I love Audi cars, I would be very cautious about a used purchase.
That said my Honda Element has been awesome, 47,000 miles in just over 2 years and not a problem. I also get treated better at Honda than Audi ever treated me.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
how did you go from a TT to an element :think: :banghead:...

I mean im sure you love your element, just seems like they are two different worlds...

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Wow todd that is your car!?! I love it. I totally agree with the availibility of the 1.8 stuff...
Yep, that is my car. There were some small changes made and I have to do some more tweaks to make it exactly "mine". It has some nice RH wheels on there now and they took off the Stop Techs before they sold it. I still have to get the coil overs sorted so I can get the car raised up so I stop crunching the exhaust over speed bumps and also need to move around the amps in the back so I can get a spare in there.

-ska todd

SuperBad

Chimp
Feb 27, 2006
manhattanprjkt83 said:
how did you go from a TT to an element :think: :banghead:...

I mean im sure you love your element, just seems like they are two different worlds...
Well I now commute 65 miles each way to school. I also pack it with kids and a couple dogs. I had one child when I got the TT I have 3 now. It just made sense as I would have spent a fortune in repairs once the warranty ended. Great car but it sucked going to the dealer once a month and having to have something fixed. I had the TT roof rack, and it could only carry 2 bikes, and now I can carry alot more stuff to the trails. I got treated like dirt @ the Audi dealership and the Honda dealer gives me loaners, heck they gave me a loaner for 2 weeks until my car came in.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
ska todd said:
Yep, that is my car. There were some small changes made and I have to do some more tweaks to make it exactly "mine". It has some nice RH wheels on there now and they took off the Stop Techs before they sold it. I still have to get the coil overs sorted so I can get the car raised up so I stop crunching the exhaust over speed bumps and also need to move around the amps in the back so I can get a spare in there.

-ska todd
d'oh, i was about to congratulate you on the sweet brakes :D . nice ride in any case.

<soapbox>

this line is pure fanboi-ism tho, as it's a 3500lb wagon with ~59/41 weight distribution:
thearticle said:
It's understandably difficult to improve upon the car's brilliant all-wheel-drive handling
:rofl:

note that i also reserve criticism for subaru fanboys who claim the wrx/sti is great handling, whether because of awd or for totally irrational reasons. it may do ok once you put some stiff springs, sway bars, and coilovers, but again it has too many disadvantages to start with (mac struts, poor camber curve, the weight distribution both f/r and vertically of a pedestrian sedan...).

brilliant handling seems more appropriate for a miata, a s2000, or even a neon srt4 acr, fwd notwithstanding...

</soapbox>

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I have had my 1999.5 A4 1.8T Quattro Avant for about a year now and I have had no real problems with the car.

Get a turbo timer and run synthetic oil - you should be fine. This thing will last a long time. My buddy with a 2.8 has had way more problems with it since he got it (we got them within a couple months of each other).

The potential horsepower out of the 1.8T for the cash is way better than the 2.8. You can have just as much horsepower as the 2.8 by getting a chip for the 1.8T.

Again, having a turbo timer dramatically increases the life of the turbo. All you have to worry about is the timing belt ever 80,000 miles.

This is all just my opinion with the experience I have had with my Avant. I could not be happier with the car. =]

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Audi made FWD models. Most, if not all, of the convertibles they shipped to the states were FWD. Quattro is their AWD moniker. The vast majority of Audis purchased in the US are Quattros.

If you're buying an old one, be prepared to dump money into repairs. Sounds like you're mentally prepared for that. Try to find a good VW mechanic in town - usually they're more reasonable than the Audi mechs and the Audi is fundamentally a VW.

neanderthal

Monkey
Mar 1, 2005
Pittsburgh
I highly suggest getting the extended warranty if you opt for a new Audi. When my wife purchased her A4, I had a lot of trouble accepting a $1200 extended warranty. In retrospect, the extended warranty has paid for itself many times over.

I have a love/hate relationship with her A4. The car is a joy to drive, has great handling and plenty of power. I just was not impressed with
how many items broke and needed replaced. Right now, her LED display just went south. The dealer said it will cost over $1000 to fix.
Ouch!! I dunno, I guess you have to expect to compromise reliablity to get performance. After all, it's not a Toyota Corolla.

If you do go for an A4 and drive in lots of snow, give serious consideration to the Quattro. It's worth it.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
neanderthal said:
I dunno, I guess you have to expect to compromise reliablity to get performance. After all, it's not a Toyota Corolla.
there are many cars out there that will outperform a corolla yet be more reliable than an audi... :D

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Yeah turbo's can be bad news expensive, to replace the k04's in an s4 it will run you about $6,000, im sure the 1.8 is less, but just something to think about.
thats crazy expensive!!!!.
several years ago i bought a whole turbo kit, garrett t04r, manifold, pipes, exhaust, etc for waaaaaaaaaaaaay less than that even after import taxes, duties and freight.....

for 6k, i´d fly over there, buy the turbo from the internet for 1k, and replace it one afternoon....:rofl:

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
I've got a 98 1.8T (FWD though) that has given me absolutely no problems. Fun to drive, decent on gas (neuspeed 1.0 bar chipped), a bit slow for what it is, but a great car for getting around. Tracked it once, then bought myself an 86 MR2... it's just too expensive to run often on the track. The tires for my A4 cost about as much as the MR2 did...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
ska todd said:

-ska todd
GMP is about 20 minutes from where I live..

What is hibernating in the warehouse.....

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
i saw a beautiful new Audi A3 2.0T, still with its dealer tags... it passed me as i did a few under the speed limit on a 4 lane in town, and then proceeded to pull into the mcdonald's drive through. for shame. :D

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
ALEXIS_DH said:
thats crazy expensive!!!!.
several years ago i bought a whole turbo kit, garrett t04r, manifold, pipes, exhaust, etc for waaaaaaaaaaaaay less than that even after import taxes, duties and freight.....

for 6k, i´d fly over there, buy the turbo from the internet for 1k, and replace it one afternoon....:rofl:
It's actually 2 turbos that you'd be getting for 6 grand, and a couple of certified (hopefully) audi mechanics doing the work.

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
The 1.8t is a beast of an engine, you can spike your boost at like 23 psi reliably just by chipping your ecu, and if you get the apr chip (probably others too) you can turn it on and off making it possible to get pretty decent mileage but with the flip of a switch (the cruise control one) you can have more than enough power to have fun with.

+1 for a 1.8t

plus the k03sport (not sure if its just a k03 or k03s on the audi) is way way way cheaper than the k04 ('s) on the s4

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
dfinn said:
It's actually 2 turbos that you'd be getting for 6 grand, and a couple of certified (hopefully) audi mechanics doing the work.
i once rebuilt an audi 1.8 non turbo engine for a class in automechanics school.... does that count??? :p

oh well, my reading comprenhension sucks. i didnt realized it was for an s4. i thought it was for a regular 1.8t a4.
6k for 2 turbos for an S series sounds kinda reasonable actually.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
It would help. I think the bottom end would be similar. The top end would have 12 more valves, unless it was a 16v that you rebuilt.

If it was my S4 with blown turbos I don't think I'd be putting K04's back in there. I'd probably be giving APR a call. I came really close to buying a nice '00 S4 a couple years back, it was turbo failure that scared me away.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
dfinn said:
It would help. I think the bottom end would be similar. The top end would have 12 more valves, unless it was a 16v that you rebuilt.

If it was my S4 with blown turbos I don't think I'd be putting K04's back in there. I'd probably be giving APR a call. I came really close to buying a nice '00 S4 a couple years back, it was turbo failure that scared me away.
well. turbo failure is not that common on a stock car with less than 100k miles. personally, i wouldnt buy a sports turbo car with more than 40k miles. probably a bit more if i didnt live in peru, where driving is stop and go, gas sucks and turbo engines dont have nice lives.
at the time turbos usually die of "natural reasons", its also time for a rings change or bottom end rebuild. now, if 4k is the labor for replacing turbos, i dont want to know how much would it be to rebuild an s4 engine.

i had buyers compulsion a few months ago and was about to buy a turbo diesel suv (with the engine of the mercedes g290). but since diesel here sucks even more than gas and the brand has only 2 shops in town, my dad talked me out of it and i kinda got cold feet (plus it was an suv considerably more expensive than the car i ended up buying).
i ended up getting a sweet sweet deal on a 2006 car that does 30+mpg (i got the car, plus 4 years of dealer maintenance parts and labor, 4 years worth of tires, 4 years of insurance) for 14500. my only ownership expense from now on will be gas.
the second toyota yaris/echo i own, but this one doesnt look as gay as the 2000 i got out of high school. (most reliable car i´ve ever had, never had a single problem in the 50k miles of city driving i put on 6 years)
i still have my 1s gen camaro for testosterone validation tough (tough soon will probably need a new engine, pistons are .060 already).

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
I've had many audi's over the years (mostly 5cylinder) and have had great luck. They are a car that needs to be "kept" by someone that does some wrenching on the weekends. I currently have a 97 a6 Quat with the 12v 2.8 V6 which is nice. I havn't had it for long, but after doing alot of research, it is clear that the 1.8T's have way more options for performance enhancements than the 2.8. That said, I can say that the 2.8 is a simpler less finicky engine from what I've read and it does have decent power. The a4 did come in non-quattro as I have a friend that has one with the 2.8 engine. No doubt get the Quattro version. You won't regret it. I like working on my car so I don't mind the smll stuff. If I didn't wrench, it'd be damn expensive I'm sure. It's worth it though.

EricMcFlow

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Chicago
Get the 1.8t. I had a 98.5 A4 1.8t that was full APR Stage 3, and the thing was bullit proof, and that was with over 270hp/tq to the wheels. I had over 110k on the clock with close to 10k track miles on it. Never broke down at the track or left me stranded anywhere. I had basically every bolt on mod you could throw at it, short a few small ones and it held up great. I sold it to my buddy and he gutted it and it is getting a cage soon.