Quantcast

Audio interference from TV through Blue ray player

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm asking here because the level of discourse is a little higher than the lounge.

I recently got a samsung LCD 1080 lookie box and a panasonic blue ray player.

Video from the player is via HDMI into the TV, audio is via RCA cables from the player into a Denon receiver.

There's a high pitched whine coming from the TV, through the player and into the receiver. Unhook any part of that circuit and the noise is gone. I've got a computer and HAD another dvd player hooked up in the same system with no noise. It's not JUST the new BR player because if I unhook the HDMI cable from the TV with the audio still going from the player to the receiver it disappears.

These aren't radio shack level components here. WTF is up?

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
-Maybe rule out the HDMI connector by temporarily using the yellow composite video or rgb component cable.

-I try to keep my power cables and audio/video cables far apart from each other as possible. Have you tried that?

-Your lookie box should have more than one HDMI input, correct? Does it still make the whine in the other?

-Since you are using a receiver for your audio, I've worked on some tv's that had an option to turn off the built-in sound. Maybe yours has that option?

edit: don't think you won't get a pic from me because you are in the C&T

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
-Maybe rule out the HDMI connector by temporarily using the yellow composite video or rgb component cable.
Haven't tried that yet.

-I try to keep my power cables and audio/video cables far apart from each other as possible. Have you tried that?
That's the first thing I did. Not the locale.

-Your lookie box should have more than one HDMI input, correct? Does it still make the whine in the other?
All 4 inputs, same thing. I just started messing around with it again and it's not as bad as it was before. Kind of wierd. But all 4 outputs do the same thing....same background whine.

-Since you are using a receiver for your audio, I've worked on some tv's that had an option to turn off the built-in sound. Maybe yours has that option?
Oh yeah......I forgot to mention this very wonderful factoid. It does it with the television completely off.

edit: don't think you won't get a pic from me because you are in the C&T
Radness.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Haven't tried that yet.
That might be your best bet. Bypass that HDMI connection because your 1080P picture will be just the same with a component cable.

It wouldn't hurt to return the BR player and exchange for the same model. Maybe its defective.

Just in case you aren't using them, monoprice.com r0x0rs my b0x0rs for all things cable related.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
kidwoo, I experienced some funkiness with audio at a friend's house using his PS3 and the HDMI cable. What ended up fixing it was actually setting the audio output settings instead of allowing the auto-negotiation to take place. It apparently was negotiating the wrong setting.

Can you manually specify the audio settings (i.e. 5.1, 7.1, stereo, etc.)?

BTW, most (all?) Blu-Ray players won't output 1080p over the component channel. The cable is capable of it (component is a pretty robust spec), but the movie industry wants control over their signals and they can't control the analog component signals.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
BTW, most (all?) Blu-Ray players won't output 1080p over the component channel. The cable is capable of it (component is a pretty robust spec), but the movie industry wants control over their signals and they can't control the analog component signals.
correct, most BD players wont output 1080p over component because of copyright issues....then again 99% of the tv's out there wont accept 1080p over component either anymore. in the days before BD players became readily available, i was able to get my customer's tv going w/ 1080p over component via a high end dvd player.

Kid:
it sounds like a issue with your BD player and a possible ground issue within it. do you have your cable/sat box hooked up via HDMI, and do you have the same issue? what model BD player is it? some Pana players did have ground issues, that were supposedly fixed via a firmware update.

and if you have a Denon receiver, dont use the typical red/white cables for audio. you need to use a 75ohm digital coax cable for audio, or the optical cable.

Last edited: