Quantcast

Audio Nerds

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Not clear that it's be a signal, since in general one modulates in order to convey information.

True. You can have a binary state but the result of any state change would result in infinite frequencies over all of time.

Fun fact. A laser beam can only have a single wavelength of light only if it has been on from t=-∞ to t=∞. This is defined both by the fourier series and the uncertainty principle. If you know the exact frequency of a photon, you don't know when that photon was measured.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I just listened to the guy at the hifi store...he told me once that a particular subwoofer sounded ‘chocolatey’.
So clearly he was a scientist.

Humans can't really hear anything below 20Hz. I don't think i can hear anything below 25Hz. The kitchen, living room and dining room in my old house were all one open space with high vaulted ceilings,. I have a rediculously large subwoofer as a result. It can go down to 18Hz. I can't hear that, but it will rattle every door and window in the house. Might be a good way of tricking someone into thinking the place is haunted.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
My vehicle subwoofer back then would play lots of stuff I couldn’t hear, but only feel. I would always look in the rear view mirror, it looked like you were in an earthquake. And the feeling of all of the hair on your neck vibrating was pretty cool. Another random album with some crazy bass was Tori Amos ‘Under The Pink’.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
:rofl::rofl:
My vehicle subwoofer back then would play lots of stuff I couldn’t hear, but only feel. I would always look in the rear view mirror, it looked like you were in an earthquake. And the feeling of all of the hair on your neck vibrating was pretty cool. Another random album with some crazy bass was Tori Amos ‘Under The Pink’.

Nothing like spending money to listen to car parts rattle.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Humans can't really hear anything below 20Hz. I don't think i can hear anything below 25Hz. The kitchen, living room and dining room in my old house were all one open space with high vaulted ceilings,. I have a rediculously large subwoofer as a result. It can go down to 18Hz. I can't hear that, but it will rattle every door and window in the house. Might be a good way of tricking someone into thinking the place is haunted.
But mine goes to 11hz. I had it specially made.

Shizzon

Monkey
Jun 25, 2015
I remember this interesting concept of a rotary subwoofer (constant RPM to my knowledge) with variable pitch blades. It was supposed to perform well at sub-20Hz frequencies but didn't seem to gather much of a following. Low adoption rates were likely due to practicality as the installation was somewhat large and involved (IIRC it was built in the floor or used an attic for the required airspace).

Here is a DIY version with some of the inner workings exposed:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Always wondered what I could have done with this driving a cone. Twin ironless linear motors with encoder feedback. This was a proof of concept, real deal was supposed to have air bearings for quiet operation.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
lol. brings me back to my silly late teenage days. the ol' celica gt hatchback, lots of dynamat (no rattles!), 2 jl 12w6 subs in a box i built, two rockford fosgate amps and crossover, maybe jbl 6" speakers front and rear . . . can't remember which tweeters i had, and everything blasting out of there from hardcore to metal to rap. dj magic mike and the geto boys were some of the best for stupid amounts of bass. dave lombardo double-kickdrumming you in your back was also awesome. mirrors became useless, and apparently my electrical system could have also maybe used some help, because when the bass hit the lights would flicker. :rofl:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I sold my shop in my late 30’s, and had time and a not new (but not old) f150 to play with. I tore everything out and dynamatted it, installed three batteries, and much stronger alternator. 0 or 4 gauge all around, three amps, custom subs. Focal speakers, Sundown amps.
it was completely, 100% retarded for a grown ass man to have in his truck. In general, I would rarely play it loud enough to be heard out of the truck. (Which was still loud with all of the sound damping).
But when I was way out in the middle of no-where...hoo boy.
I had 1/4 jacks that would cut out the vehicle speakers, and-run some separates on either side of camp.
it was fun to do, but I didn’t want to do any of that shit to my new truck when I got it, so I just have some self-powered under seat subs, and (CLUTCHPEARLS) stock speakers.
my wife was, shall we say, unimpressed, it was pretty white trash.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Since I primarily listen to records or digital music these days I thought I would bust out the old CD player. I expected to things to sound the same as a good lossless source and better than something compressed. Never thought a CD player would make any difference. I haven't had this thing hooked up since I lived in Virginia. The first thing that struck me was that it did sound different, and it sounded like my house in Virginia. Back then I had it set up in a very large open room with vaulted ceilings, small bookshelf speakers, different amplifier and a large subwoofer. My current house is old, small and built with timbers and plaster. The sound of the old house was more or less the sound of the CD player. I never would have guessed that.

That being said the CD player had clearer highs but the low end feels dull. I always thought that was from small speakers in a big room.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
:rofl::rofl:

Nothing like spending money to listen to car parts rattle.
When I lived in Anchorage I had a buddy with a $300 Chevette. He had over $3K in stereo gear in that thing. Used to win boom car competitions all the time. I would tease him that the sonic vibrations of the system would drive the car faster than the motor. Totally stupid...he is a doctor of some sort now.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Since I primarily listen to records or digital music these days I thought I would bust out the old CD player. I expected to things to sound the same as a good lossless source and better than something compressed. Never thought a CD player would make any difference. I haven't had this thing hooked up since I lived in Virginia. The first thing that struck me was that it did sound different, and it sounded like my house in Virginia. Back then I had it set up in a very large open room with vaulted ceilings, small bookshelf speakers, different amplifier and a large subwoofer. My current house is old, small and built with timbers and plaster. The sound of the old house was more or less the sound of the CD player. I never would have guessed that.

That being said the CD player had clearer highs but the low end feels dull. I always thought that was from small speakers in a big room.
I always used the optical output on my CD players, that way it stayed digital instead of being converted back to analog. true DDD discs sounded pretty good. Then again, something about listening to vinyl through a tube amp, just kinda warms you up.

Shizzon

Monkey
Jun 25, 2015
Always wondered what I could have done with this driving a cone. Twin ironless linear motors with encoder feedback. This was a proof of concept, real deal was supposed to have air bearings for quiet operation.

The overlap between sex toys and audio transducer design can be somewhat alarming. Might need a lube shield though.

Shizzon

Monkey
Jun 25, 2015
When I was in high school I bought a book on speaker design from Radio Shack. Wanted to make some speakers from some fancy drivers I found in a pawn shop. I didn't understand the math and just winged it. God did those sound horrible. I feel like I should be able to derive all the required math on my own now, but too lazy.

I used to work for a company that made lab equipment for NV&H testing. Wish I had access to the anechoic chamber and all the equipment.
I nearly justified building an anechoic chamber for testing the sound signatures of the instruments that my company produces (which utilize pumps/blowers etc.) with the thought that it may lend itself to my audio curiosities. In the end we decided not to take it on.

End goal being to have your playback sound as close to live, sitting front row with the band in the room...correct?
Something like this, yes. Audiophiles have some interesting words to describe two channel audio effects. Soundstage being a term that is used frequently: "In the world of audiophiles, soundstage (or speaker image) is an imaginary three-dimensional space created by the high-fidelity reproduction of sound in a stereo speaker system; in other words, the soundstage allows the listener to hear the location of instruments when listening to a given piece of music".

To be able to decipher the positional information (side to side as well as depth) of individual instruments during the recording session is a pretty neat thing to hear. Especially if one is used to listening to music passively as more of a background noise.

Its hard to explain, but when I listen to a well recorded/produced song in my Jeep It typically sounds as if vocals are literally coming from a spot in the middle of my windshield (but it also sounds like the source is further away than the windshield itself). Then perhaps the guitar comes in to the right of vocalist and the saxophone to the left; drums are centered behind and piano to the far right. I have no center/dash speaker (or rear fill for that matter), the centered "image' is the result of time alignment and making the driver pair on each side have the same affective acoustic response (which may require applying differing electronic filters/slopes etc. to account for the odd geometry of vehicle).

The thing is, recordings vary quite a bit and it is impossible to "tune" a system so that it sounds the same on every recording. In the recording you are listening to the sound from the artist as well as the artifacts that result from the recording environment, which can very greatly (room/studio size and acoustic treatment, microphone placement, production style, etc). This is why for tuning purposes I use white noise or tracks purposefully designed to aid in helping to "center" your image. Some songs will have vocals biased towards left/right and you will not be able to get them to sound centered without dramatic tuning techniques that would then be detrimental for songs that aren't biased.

For those of you that currently do have a half-way decent stereo setup to listen too, give Tool's Chocolate Chip Trip a try. This song produces some dramatic pans/sweeps across the soundstage that are pretty fun as well as some drum action that is very pleasing. It's not for everyone but does highlight some cool stereo effects if played on a good system. I played this in my jeep for my girlfriend and she felt like she was high or having some sort of a hallucination, lol. Also, Blue Coast Music (https://bluecoastmusic.com/) has some excellent recordings from some lesser known artists.

Last edited:

Shizzon

Monkey
Jun 25, 2015
The YouTube channel below is one of the few out there who is actually objectively testing drivers/speaker systems and correlating measurements to subjective impressions of sound quality. Erin, the channels creator, was a valuable contributor on several audio forums that I dabble in. The guy recently invested in a Klippel analyzer (to the tune of $100,000+ USD) for his testing and is really passionate about what he is doing.

I would love to see more of this and less of the ubiquitous "golden-eared" audiofools on YouTube professing their love for $10,000 speaker cables and one's own ability to hear the smallest nuances that result from equipment changes.

Also of interest for some may be the offerings from Purifi Audio, both in terms of transducer design and advancements in class-D amplification. Objective test data as well as subjective reviews are showing that their obsessive pursuit to reduce harmonic distortion (and the technologies they created to do so) have resulted in a driver with some pretty outstanding properties and a rather unique appearance :

ptt6.5w04-01a_side_angle.jpg

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I remember this interesting concept of a rotary subwoofer (constant RPM to my knowledge) with variable pitch blades. It was supposed to perform well at sub-20Hz frequencies but didn't seem to gather much of a following. Low adoption rates were likely due to practicality as the installation was somewhat large and involved (IIRC it was built in the floor or used an attic for the required airspace).

Here is a DIY version with some of the inner workings exposed:

I bought some of their tweeters ~16 years ago, I think they play to something like 400Hz with a third order.
You can supposedly see little sparks if you run them too hard.
20210129_190256 (2).jpg

EDIT- I was going to buy some of those Purifi mids and Bliesma tweeters for my bookshelfs but COVID sent postage to stupid prices as I had to use international express so I just bought locally available stuff which will suck in comparison, thanks China.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
When I lived in Anchorage I had a buddy with a $300 Chevette. He had over $3K in stereo gear in that thing. Used to win boom car competitions all the time. I would tease him that the sonic vibrations of the system would drive the car faster than the motor. Totally stupid...he is a doctor of some sort now.
Please tell me his Licence Plate is DRBASS.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Pretty cool thread. I learned things...
As did I. I learned that I should have paid more attention in HS.

I dont have and probably never will have a dedicated listening area where I recline with a smoke and a glass of something strong to listen to music. I wish(?) I had that kind of lifestyle, but I dont.

I simply want airy and relatively precise sound that allows me to aurally differentiate between tracks and instruments...all over the house.

And if doesn't cost me an arm, a leg and a kidney that would be nice too.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
As did I. I learned that I should have paid more attention in HS.

I dont have and probably never will have a dedicated listening area where I recline with a smoke and a glass of something strong to listen to music. I wish(?) I had that kind of lifestyle, but I dont.
when the pandemic is over, come over to my place.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I couldn't work out why my headphones sounded better on my phone than on my laptop, I was using a Dragonfly Red DAC on both but it turned out I had the laptop set to 48kHz sample rate which made music sound thin and weird.
Still don't like the current headphones as much as my previous Sennheisers from 2001, wish I'd grabbed some of the Massdrop ones rather than the Focals.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I still have some 580's I think of that vintage, but the foam around the edge of them has seemingly collapsed within the soft cover material.
Yeah mine were 560 or 80, can't remember.
You can still get all the soft parts and some aftermarket supposed upgrade bits.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Early 80's AKG K241.
New earpieces a few years ago. The headband is a little stretched out, so no big movements. Still sound great. Driven by a Naim Headline2.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I couldn't work out why my headphones sounded better on my phone than on my laptop, I was using a Dragonfly Red DAC on both but it turned out I had the laptop set to 48kHz sample rate which made music sound thin and weird.
Still don't like the current headphones as much as my previous Sennheisers from 2001, wish I'd grabbed some of the Massdrop ones rather than the Focals.
Was it shifting things up in pitch by 48/44.1?