Quantcast

Audio Nerds

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
All you folks being smarter then me and having cooler stuff. Is starting to fucking piss me off.
There are heaps of online guides for building speakers, with Dayton drivers(or a few others) you could make a pretty decent sounding pair of speakers for ~$100.
Midwoofer- https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-DC130B-4-5-1-4-Classic-Woofer-Speaker-295-307
Tweeter- https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-ND25FA-4-1-Soft-Dome-Neodymium-Tweeter-275-059
You could buy an off the shelf crossover or build one for a few extra dollars.
You could also find some old speakers then work out which drivers will suit the enclosure and go from there.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I think I have found a decent option for an Audio Hub, I haven't looked at any source products for a long time but it seems if you want the functionality of a receiver minus an amp you pay more money.......
The Dali Sound Hub Compact will mean I can ditch the Raspberry and just run the Beocreate amp as the DSP profile is saved to it.
Finding a network streamer thingy with more than one optical input seems to be quite difficult, the Sound Hub has two fibre, one HDMI and an RCA input and it's not stupid money. Oh and it has a proper remote rather than having to scramble to work out which tablet or phone controls the volume.

EDIT- Both versions are useless to me as the only output is wireless, it's a very Apple way to go about things.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
There are heaps of online guides for building speakers, with Dayton drivers(or a few others) you could make a pretty decent sounding pair of speakers for ~$100.
Midwoofer- https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-DC130B-4-5-1-4-Classic-Woofer-Speaker-295-307
Tweeter- https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-ND25FA-4-1-Soft-Dome-Neodymium-Tweeter-275-059
You could buy an off the shelf crossover or build one for a few extra dollars.
You could also find some old speakers then work out which drivers will suit the enclosure and go from there.
Thank you! I decided to go down the rabbit hole and ordered two Hitmaker kits. I'll have those on a desk and will be making some noise through them.

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
Today I picked up a pair of Elac Debut B6 bookshelf speakers from Goodwill for fifteen bucks. They'll make a nice upgrade to my front speakers and eventually be relegated to surrounds one day when I can invest in some nice fronts and a center channel.

I had to provide my own dog hair for the glamour photos, though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Today I picked up a pair of Elac Debut B6 bookshelf speakers from Goodwill for fifteen bucks. They'll make a nice upgrade to my front speakers and eventually be relegated to surrounds one day when I can invest in some nice fronts and a center channel.

I had to provide my own dog hair for the glamour photos, though.

Was going to say, someone has some nice Elacs and a yellow lab.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Have any of you guys heard the Magnepan LRS? They look like really good value for a US made speaker, there are some pretty solid reviews-
1618747719133.png

Shizzon

Monkey
Jun 25, 2015
My 6 year old computer audio solution (Focal XS 2.1 Multimedia) kicked the bucket a couple months ago and I finally got around to pulling the trigger on a replacement system.

Speakers: https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2-way-speaker-kits/sb-acoustics-micro-2-way-speaker-kit-pair/

Subwoofer: https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-9-subwoofers/sb-acoustics-sb23mfcl45-4-8-polypropylene-cone-sub-woofer-4-ohm/

Amp: https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-DTA-2.1BT2-100W-2.1-Class-D-Bluetooth-Amplifier-with-Sub-Frequency-Adjustment-300-3831

DAC (Already own): Audioquest Dragonfly Red

This should be a quick and fun little project. All I really need to fabricate is an enclosure for the sub. I'm thinking of doing a triangular vented enclosure behind my monitor for my corner desk; it will be essentially be taking up wasted space anyways.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I think I have finally found a hub that does what I want, it is supposedly good value but to me over twice the price of my amplifier seems sorta expensive-
1638687283795.png

1638687228568.png

I'm also going to swap out my Scan-Speak mids for some Purifi drivers, they should play down to ~43Hz in a 6L ported box, sadly I only have 60W to drive them so they will probably struggle to hit 100dB.
1638687161713.png

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I emailed Essence and they said that if I use HDMI in and optical out there will be a degradation in sound quality because of some BS about piracy.
Ordered a 2021 Bluesound Node, I was tempted to buy an amplifier that I could bi amp but finding something that was 200W a channel, bi ampable, runs class D amplification and having all the wireless stuff I wanted was too difficult.
Fuck HDMI to hell, go back to DVI and keep audio separate.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I like my Bluesound Note. Audio Science Review claims it has a high noise floor. Doing my own testing by playing an empty track shows it does have noise, but I have to have the volume cranked high enough for me to hear it that a real track would make my ears bleed.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I like my Bluesound Note. Audio Science Review claims it has a high noise floor. Doing my own testing by playing an empty track shows it does have noise, but I have to have the volume cranked high enough for me to hear it that a real track would make my ears bleed.
I dislike it so far, it doesn't seem as intuitive as I'd hoped and I can't work out why the TV sometimes doesn't have any audio. You have to walk over to the unit and press a button and it comes to life, it is set so HDMI has priority but it seems as if the Node goes to sleep but I have that turned off.
The HiFi Berry controls are better which was a bit of a sad shock, looks a lot cleaner too.

These were supposed to be replaced with much better built boxes, these were painted with VHT Wrinkle using a roller coz the can had no gas so I stabbed a hole in it, no holes were filled, the grilles were hot glued on, ports are PVC pipe.
The grilles have three busted CX-Ray spokes to make the curve and that worked pretty well, might do the same but better executed in the next ones. I think the next ones will be a mixture of MDF and fibreglass to get them as small as possible, then covered in some black ash veneer.
P_20211221_221743.jpg

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
For a basic home system a EQ was added to tame bass response. Of course 'this time' was going to be different and an ideal SPL Curve would be found. Nope, nope and, maybe not, even having 4 active and 2 passive X-over network.

It never fails and a few old friends/schoolmates who are still involved in audio have always said the same thing - ideal RTA/SPL frequency curves are just crap. Either the subwoofer free-air or the enclosure port turbulence needed to be given EQ from 45-53HZ, tightening up the remaining frequencies had vocals suffer and acoustic bass would sound strained if alongside percussion.

Finally gave up before football came on yesterday and set the EQ to music I knew well and - that's the ticket to smooth sound to the ear. Upper mid-bass also stopped migrating from the sub to the front soundstage from having strong low end extension added behind the sub frequency cutoff and then having midbass be re-introduced starting at a much steeper slope than the low-pass filter, which helps the full range woofers carry their bass performance. An effective inverted bandpass filter but took a full week to figure out.

Read about Parts Express and Dayton Audio at the top of the page. Have a 2.5" subwoofer for the PC and the thing is a legitimate monster! Powered 2.5" speaker and a 2.5" passive radiator and it dips quite low. Great sound for overall PC and pushes a set of two-way 4" bookshelf speakers easily also.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Does anyone use any box designing software at all that does a timber cutting list including pre drilled holes?
I can't be stuffed making boxes from scratch, I have spied a couple of CNC machines cutting MDF when out on jobs, might hit someone up for a cash job.
IMGP5857 (2).jpg

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Does anyone use any box designing software at all that does a timber cutting list including pre drilled holes?
I can't be stuffed making boxes from scratch, I have spied a couple of CNC machines cutting MDF when out on jobs, might hit someone up for a cash job.
View attachment 174302
What's the reason for that surround on the midrange/midbass?

Is this for more boutique hardwoods or something? Plenty of suppliers offer pre-fab and then just stuff w/ polyfill to tame any resonance and flappiness.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
@Westy ....there was something you told me i might need to use my record player with a older tuner and it slipped my mind...imagine that....

can you refresh my memory....

Shizzon

Monkey
Jun 25, 2015
What's the reason for that surround on the midrange/midbass?
  • Low Surround Radiation Distortion
    • The surround contributes to sound output. Conventional surrounds produce distortion as they deform. PURIFI’s Neutral Surround geometry avoids this mechanism without constraining motion. This reduces harmonic distortion as well as intermodulation distortion

Purify is doing some pretty cool stuff and is making some incredibly low distortion drivers, the weird looking surround is part of the magic sauce.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
@Westy ....there was something you told me i might need to use my record player with a older tuner and it slipped my mind...imagine that....

can you refresh my memory....

You will probably be fine if you have an old tuner. A record player needs a phono specific input into your amplifier. The phono input applies extra amplification and reverses a filtering scheme that records are made with to reduce noise. Modern tuners dropped these inputs decades ago.

If your amp doesn't have a phono input you will need a special phono pre-amp like one of these.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
You will probably be fine if you have an old tuner. A record player needs a phono specific input into your amplifier. The phono input applies extra amplification and reverses a filtering scheme that records are made with to reduce noise. Modern tuners dropped these inputs decades ago.

If your amp doesn't have a phono input you will need a special phono pre-amp like one of these.

gracias...