Quantcast

Audio tapes to CD?

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
Does anyone know a cheap way to convert audio tapes to CDs? I looked online, but the companys out there want entirely to much money for something I'm only going to use once.

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
Hey Brad, I just went to adstech.com which makes that converter that I have. They have a converter that will do what you want. Look in the left hand column and click on instant music. It cost $60. Later

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If your sound card has a line-in, you can just run a cable with a headphone jack at each end from the headphone out on your stereo to the line-in on your soundcard, and make MP3s out of the tape... That is, of course, assuming you own a CD burner.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
binary visions said:
If your sound card has a line-in, you can just run a cable with a headphone jack at each end from the headphone out on your stereo to the line-in on your soundcard, and make MP3s out of the tape... That is, of course, assuming you own a CD burner.
I don't think you can record MP3's from the line in, it has to be a digital signal to get to MP3 unless there is some expensive software that will do it. You can record .WAV files from the line in though and then convert .WAV to CD3 format and burn them to CD through windows media player.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Kornphlake said:
I don't think you can record MP3's from the line in, it has to be a digital signal to get to MP3 unless there is some expensive software that will do it. You can record .WAV files from the line in though and then convert .WAV to CD3 format and burn them to CD through windows media player.
Well.. I didn't mean record MP3s directly. You can record the WAV file and convert it to MP3 (for retaining the audio electronically), then burn the CD.

If ya' don't want to retain the files electronically, that's cool - you can go right to the CD, but it seems silly not to keep 'em considering how cheap hard drive space is now, and how easily CDs can be scratched...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
right, but you need software to capture the wav file. the built-in recorder of windows only captures like 30 seconds.

i use cooledit for this function, and it works well. others which people use are soundforge or cakewalk.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Replay Radio has a $30 software pkg that will convert ANY signal your cvomputer gets into an MP3

You can even record off of streaming media. This is a GREAT way to get music off the net for free.