Quantcast

August 14, or How I Spent Alaina's Golden Birthday....

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
We arranged to get Alaina's birthday off. I'm told that when you turn the age of your birth date, it's considered your Golden one. We decided to spend it down in Mammoth, as Alaina loved it down there. We then get a wilder hair and decide to stay overnight. We contact Darla at the Mammoth Mountain Inn, and she did not hesitate to arrange our favorite room (#234 that has a loft and gorgeous view of the statue and mountain) at an incredible rate. Switch shifts so I'm out early, and off we go. First stop is at Vons for "supplies", and then Roberto's for dinner. Get to the Inn, check in with Stephanie (another wonderful person that has taken care of us), get to our room, and change for a much needed dip in the jacuzzi. Back to the room for drinks and further relaxation, and then sleepy time.

Up early, as one of my things to do was ride down to NY Bagel and Deli and bring back bagels for the wife. Took the Cannondale I've mentioned before that I won on Alaina's first bday, had never done it on the road, though many times on the trails, and did the trip in about 40mins. Relax, eat, get cleaned up, check out, and off for the day. Of course, no visit of ours is complete without saying hello to the statue, as Alaina loved to visit and pose for pics. Afterwards, down into town, shop at a couple stores, find a small stuffed horse to leave with Alaina, lunch at Giovanni's, ice cream at Ben and Jerry's at the Village, a couple of lottery tickets at Vons, and then the rain hits. On the way home, we drive through June Lake, and find a lot that's for sale. If we win lottery???? Arrive home, go visit Alaina, leave her horse, and get home.

One thing I thought about on the drive is...... I don't recall it raining on Alaina's birthday. Maybe, just maybe, she was raining on us to start all things fresh again. Maybe it has something to do with this song??--

Yep, a wonderful day with a wonderful angel in what is our Happiest Place On Earth.....

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
A day well spent amigo. Loves me some NY Bagel and Deli, that was a staple of any Mammoth visit for me!

Aug 14 was quite a day for birthdays...

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Nothing but love for a Monkey and his fam. 'Hope' to make it out this winter and will plan a little better so maybe we can meetup for a meal or something.
Tony

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Nothing but love for a Monkey and his fam. 'Hope' to make it out this winter and will plan a little better so maybe we can meetup for a meal or something.
Tony
Just keep me informed. My sister and her family came up for a visit, didn't let me know until they arrived. Could only spend a couple hours with them, and I haven't seen them in 15+ years!! Yep, better planning, and the beers will flow........