Quantcast

August NC road trip

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
Ok, so I've been studying for a REALLY long time and my brain is a lil tired, despite the can of monster sitting next to me. So here goes:

I'm finishing up my 2nd year of medical school (in 20 days). After we're done, my days will consist of an hour long ride in the early morning, then studying for my step 1 board exam for 8 to 10 hours a day. My exam is August 6th and will last all farkin day long. So to celebrate being done with that horrid experience, I've decided to round up a few friends from up here in VA and head to Pisgah for a couple days of riding and camping. I realize that this post is a little premature since it's only the middle of June. Here's my tentative plan:
- August 12th mid afternoon or 13th early morning: Pack up and leave Blacksburg, VA arriving in/around Pisgah that day and possibly riding that afternoon/evening
- August 14th - 16th: Riding my brains out in Pisgah
From reports/pictures I'd like to spend the 16th riding 26West Bike Park. If at all feasible, I'm more than willing to put in some hours digging or helping out with whatever they need.
- August 17th: Drive back to Blacksburg with a camera full of pics, and a crap-ton of good memories.
SO, here's where the veterans of this forum come in. Should anyone wanna show us the goods during those few days, We'll compensate with good conversation and possibly some comic relief (Sorry I don't drink or otherwise I'd offer beer/EtOH). I'm not by any means an advanced rider but I'd like to think I could hold my own on a lot of stuff. And since I'm a clydesdale (read:FAT) rider, the more shuttling the better. I'm not opposed to earning my fun either so climbing isn't out of the question:happydance:.
I've seen the video on pinkbike of Headley's and read in the comments about a shuttle-able trail called Beehive and those are currently at the top of my list, along with Greenslick. I think that's what it's called..

So there ya have it. Sorry this is so long and I'm sure I could've summed it up with "What trails would be good to ride while I'm in NC for 4 or 5 days in August". But where's the fun in summarizing..:monkey:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Provided that my scaphoid and humerus fractures are healed by then (just throwin' out dem fancy bone names for ya :D) I'd be more than happy to show you around. The above mentioned trails are almost 2 hours driving apart but would definitely make good days.

This area typically requires a lot of climbing to get to the goods so I'd get mentally prepared for that as well. Feel free to PM me with any questions you have about planning your trip. I'm going to be very anxious to ride and probably out of shape once I'm healed so I plan on riding as much as humanly possible for the rest of the summer.

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
I would be glad to show you the first 2 trails you mentioned (+1 or 2 more depending on how much climbing you want to do), on the 16th if you would like. We ride in that area every weekend, rain or shine, and know a couple really good loops. The only reason I say the 16th is cause I "should be" working on Thurs / Fri , but can probubly arrange something if one of those days is better fur ya, but Saturdays we usually have a group out there anyway, (and maybe even Kenan, Demo, Jeremy, Cecil, yes Im callin you out fellas), will bless us with an appearance.:busted: So lemme know.

Last edited:

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
Let me know if you decide to ride the first two trails on the list, I'll be in Boone and all I'll have to do is set up the house and dig on some dj's. So I can stand for some trails, I havn't ridden out there in a couple months.

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
What if we planned on doing some shuttle runs on Headley's the afternoon/evening we arrived, then did Beehive the next day? I'll be driving the rowdy ranger which is tiny but reliable as a shuttle truck, so ANY AND ALL who want to join us for some shuttlin and post ride BBQ, are welcome!

Also, with Greenslick, I heard that there were a lot of trails that start from the top of that trail so I'd be down to ride (walk) up greenslick ride some other trails then rip back down greenslick.

And, where's the best place to camp if I wanted to start out with say... Headleys?

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
I live in Charlotte and its tough for me to get out there in the middle of the week. The end of the week I can usually make arrangements if I need to get out of "work". So the end of the week or that Sat. works for me.

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
Oh yeah, camping, you can camp at the bottom of Headley if you want, there are tons of camping spots in that area. There is a better one near the other trail you mentioned, so you have many options.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Greenslick is an easy afternoon ride. It's a decent climb and it's the only trail that starts at the top but well worth the ride down. They did some work on it for National Trails day but I'm not sure what's changed.

The other Wilson Creek trails are great weekenders. You can make a killer day out of the mentioned trails and you can add others in on top of those. I think you should also consider some of the Pisgah Ranger District trails for a full tour of the best NC has to offer.

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
I'm down to ride any trails people suggest, it's just that the ones I mentioned in my original post were the only ones I could remember the names of at the time. Logistically speaking, I'd like to be driving the least and riding the most so if we do one general area per day then that'd be fantastic.

Thanks for all the suggestions too. I'm psyched to come ride pisgah not only b/c it means I'll be riding some of the best trails in the country, but b/c it means I'll be done with my board exams and the sh!tty part of medical school. HOORAY NO MORE CLASSROOMS/BORING LECTURES/FOREIGN PROFESSORS EVAR!!!!

And JeffKill, I've no intention of being a fvcker so we'll try to plan on Wilson's Creek on Saturday. I would however like to ride 26West at some point during this trip. Sorry, I'm a sucker for lifts....

Last edited:

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
And JeffKill, I've no intention of being a fvcker so we'll try to plan on Wilson's Creek on Saturday. I would however like to ride 26West at some point during this trip. Sorry, I'm a sucker for lifts....
haha.. Its cool man, I'd just be jealous knowing everyone was riding up there while I was stuck at work. Saturday would be the best day for a good Wilsons ride though :biggrin:

BD-DV07

Monkey
Nov 1, 2007
Blacksburg, VA
Thanks for all the suggestions too. I'm psyched to come ride pisgah not only b/c it means I'll be riding some of the best trails in the country, but b/c it means I'll be done with my board exams and the sh!tty part of medical school. HOORAY NO MORE CLASSROOMS/BORING LECTURES/FOREIGN PROFESSORS EVAR!!!!
and because your getting to ride with your bros from back home.. right.. right.. RIGHT!!:banghead::rant: hehe..